Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Am I lanolizing right?

How do I know if I have enough lanolin and when I am done? I read a bunch of protocols online and they all seem fairly simple, but they all just say a blob of lanolin. Can I get too much? I realize it's a waste of lanolin, but does it cause any other problems? And is there a way to know when I'm done? I can leave them in the sink all night or whatever, right? How do I know that for I've done it correctly?

Advertisement

Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Brinae89
Registered Users
seller

Re: Am I lanolizing right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
How do I know if I have enough lanolin and when I am done? I read a bunch of protocols online and they all seem fairly simple, but they all just say a blob of lanolin. Can I get too much? I realize it's a waste of lanolin, but does it cause any other problems? And is there a way to know when I'm done? I can leave them in the sink all night or whatever, right? How do I know that for I've done it correctly?

Putting too much lanolin wonít cause any harm to your cover or do any damage it just may be really sticky/greasy but thatís it. When itís lanolized well when itís dry theyíre will be a slight greasy/sticky feeling. Most likely you are already done, and yes they can sit for how ever long you like or forget, Lol. Wool is actually very simple to care for! Itís an amazing fabric/material, wool just didnít work well for us as diapers!(:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brinae89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

So far, I'm super impressed with it. I've only been using it for overnight, and my guy isn't a heavy wetter anymore, but I'm in awe of how it just dries in the day and smells fresh and clean! So I made another couple soakers from Goodwill sweaters that I'm hoping to use over undies for outings or something, and I'm hoping a bit of lanolin will help them keep the carseat dry in case of an accident.

Thanks for the tips - maybe I'll go pull them out to dry all night.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Brinae89
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
So far, I'm super impressed with it. I've only been using it for overnight, and my guy isn't a heavy wetter anymore, but I'm in awe of how it just dries in the day and smells fresh and clean! So I made another couple soakers from Goodwill sweaters that I'm hoping to use over undies for outings or something, and I'm hoping a bit of lanolin will help them keep the carseat dry in case of an accident.

Thanks for the tips - maybe I'll go pull them out to dry all night.

I know, itís amazing! When we used wool my guy was a super heavy wetter so nothing seemed to work until we found airflow covers. Thatís awesome! I would love to be able to make clothing!(:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brinae89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

For not heavy wetter lightly lanolizing is all that is needed. We still use wool on our 6 year old bedwetter. He detests paper diapers! Even if money allowed pull ups would not be tolerated without a great deal of distress from our son.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I liked GMD wool instructions as a good started place. I believe my sig has a post that goes into it more.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the carseat with a child who is recently out of diapers I keep the kid in their regular undies and pants (though that's mostly wool pants for us--unlanolized to absorb some!) but I line the seat with a diaper. A big PUL cover with a pre fold over it. Kiddo sits on top of it and it wraps up around the front to protect the buckle pad, so it's almost like the way you would fasten a pre fold on the child protection wise, but the child doesn't think he's wearing a diaper.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
CaliforniaGirl
Registered Users

Use a teaspoon of lanolin + about a teaspoon of emulsifier for each wool cover (I like to lanolize mine separately because some brands seem to soak up more than their share of lanolin, while leaving the other woolies not as waterproof). Melt both in about 2-3 cups of hot water, then add 2-3 cups cold water until water is lukewarm. Put your wool cover in and let it soak for at least 3 hours. Then air dry. Your woolie will feel slightly sticky once dry (that's okay--it's supposed to be waterproof!). Hope it helps!
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote