Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me what you know about Mirena...

Well, I had one put in a little over a month ago. It was recommended b/c I have really heavy periods. My midwife ASSURED me that it is not an abortificant (sp?) but I'm not totally convinced.

I've been bleeding for 4 weeks. My hair is falling out (like I have a whole brush-ful of hair every day). I've had monster acne. We're not ready for permanent bc. I'm still breastfeeding, lo is 10 1/2 months but I do think I've had a drop in supply. I have been working out and eating well, I had started to lose weight before I got the Mirena but since I have had it I kind of got stuck at this weight. Since I have looked into these symptoms, I have found a bunch of other scary stuff and now I'm paranoid on top of everything else. I have a check up tomorrow and I'm seriously considering getting it removed, but I just can't decide.

Anyone with any experience like this? Or any other info? Thanks!

Advertisement

alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Sydni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me what you know about Mirena...

I had one for about two months, and had to get it out! at first we thought it was ok, then DH said he could feel it when we MM'd, then I when I started my cycle it didn't stop for 6 weeks, heavy ugly bleeding that was so bad I couldn't leave the house, I couldn't sit on any of my furniture with out a waterproof pad under me either! I was a mess, I gained like 10 lbs. without changing anything, and likely eating less because of how bad I felt. I had to get rid of it.

I have heard people that haven't had one problem or discomfort with it and successfully use it for years, certainly not the case for me...I don't recommend them to anyone I know. We weren't ready for permanent BC either, and are now TTC, but I had to comment on this, since I experienced a very similar situation.

GoodLuck
Sydni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I have had mine for 3 months and had bleeding off and on the whole time. My weight is steady but I haven't tried losing. I'm loosing hair but my baby is 4 months old so this is normal for me. Bleeding for the first 6 - 12 months is not unusual. You can find horror stories about anything on the internet. If its bothering you have it removed and try something else.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me what you know about Mirena...

Probably not what you want to hear.......but I know a good number of people who had mirena and then when they had it removed to TTC, they had multiple miscarriages

I'm sure there are many people who haven't had this issue but I've heard it come up a lot.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote