Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
oddduck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about IUDS

Had it for 2 years, no weight gain (well, I did gain a few lbs, but it was likely due to my love of chocolate), no issues. I did spot for like 6 weeks after it was put in. That was pretty annoying. Once the spotting was done however I remained period free (other then very occasional spotting - think 4 hours every 3 months) for the 2 years I had it. Super awesome... if I wasn't TTC I would completely get another.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
greenasgrass
Registered Users

I lost 45 pounds within 8 days of delivering my LO. Had it inserted at my 6-week check-up and it's been nearly 3 years since - I've gained nearly 65 pounds since - I weigh 5 pounds more than I did 9 months pregnant.

That being said - I haven't had a period in a year. My health is declining because of the weight gain, so I plan on having it taken out soon.
greenasgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
greenasgrass
Registered Users

I lost 45 pounds within 8 days of delivering my LO. Had it inserted at my 6-week check-up and it's been nearly 3 years since. I've gained nearly 65 pounds. I weigh 5 pounds more than I did when I was 10 months pregnant.

That being said - I haven't had a period in a year. My health is declining because of the weight gain, so I plan on having it taken out soon.

Last edited by greenasgrass; 06-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.
greenasgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
DelicateFlower
Registered Users

I had a Mirena. Didn't really notice what was going on for most of the time it was in (3 or 4 years), but realized near the end/after the fact that a) hubby was getting "poked" and lets just say that really killed the mood, and b) I had pains/cramping/achiness pretty constantly - not sure if things were shifting or what.
I loved not having to worry about periods but it pretty much meant that nothing was happening in the bedroom (other stuff going on too, but the IUD was a pinpoint-able "Don't Want" for hubs). Weight gain wasn't really an issue with me since I was playing multiple sports nearly every day but I did slim down around the waist after it was removed. If I had the opportunity to choose again - I'd decline getting an IUD.
DelicateFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I am on my second mirena. First one I had put in 6 wks pp. Had it removed April 2011 and had dd2 April 2012

I had the current one put in early June 2013. It was so much more painful with things not still 'open' down there. I had cramps the day of and a week long heavy af at the end of the month but not terrible. I prefer it to condoms for sure.

I've never had any weight gain. Dp could feel the first one for awhile but it 'softened' over time. No issue this time.

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 06-29-2013 at 06:22 PM.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
ouzter
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have the Paragard copper coil IUD.
Between the Mirena and this hormone free option I chose the Paragard just because I have mood swings on regular bc pill and didn't want to chance it.
I LOVE the Paragard! I have heard many negatives, but for me it works very well. Only negatives are more cramps (they feel more like diarrhea cramps than menstrual ones) and slightly closer periods.
ouzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had my Mirena for 18 months and loved it. First like two months I spotted. After that I had nothing for a few months. Then a super light period like clockwork.

However, my Mirena did fall out. Not sure why but it did. I had cramping that was noticeable so it wasn't something that happened without my knowledge.

We are going to be trying to expand out family in the next year so I haven't gotten one reinserted. But after my next baby I will have one placed as soon as my milk supply is established. I loved my Mirena.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TForce View Post
I had it inserted a my 6 weeks post-partum visit. Insertion was a bit painful with some bleeding. Periods were a bit heavier than "normal" . . . . Long (5-7 days) periods are annoying, but I am happy to not have to worry about a pill. Birth control is a very personal decision.

This, mostly. I am just over one year in on mine, after baby number 5, and this has been pretty much my experience. Insertion was, honestly, horrible for me, but it has been very worth it with not having to worry about a thing.
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #19
diaperjzp
Registered Users
seller

Had mirena #1 for almost 3 yrs between pregnancies put in at 6wks PP - loved it; minimal spotting for periods, no issues! Waiting for my PP visit to put in mirena #2!

Last edited by diaperjzp; 07-06-2013 at 01:46 AM.
diaperjzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
Babygiggles04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had terrible periods and terrible headaches while on mirena! So i got the cooper one (paraguard) and it was amazing! No side effects! I actually have an apt to get one this month!