Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
ohgirlohboyohno's Avatar
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,645
antibiotics and BCPills?!?

So, I am on seasonique (generic) and here is my dilemma

started amoxicillin Jun 25 (10 days)
period July 11
started second round of amoxicillin on July 15
Spotting July 24/25...like really light, only when wiping, red/pink

Does amoxicillin make you spot while on the pill?

Advertisement

__________________
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,574
My Mood:
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

It is probably effecting its effectiveness. I would use back up.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
ohgirlohboyohno's Avatar
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,645
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

Quote:
It is probably effecting its effectiveness. I would use back up.
Uh...so we DTD...like July 17, 18, 19 quite a bit without backup cause I thought it would be ok right after my period....could that be a problem?
__________________
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Arabesque's Avatar
Arabesque
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,171
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno

Uh...so we DTD...like July 17, 18, 19 quite a bit without backup cause I thought it would be ok right after my period....could that be a problem?
It could be. I know of a few oops babies due to antibiotics counteracting the effectiveness of BC pills.
__________________
Amanda - happily married wife to N and mother to B and C
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,718
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

Um... yes, problem!! Once the pill is not working (like, antibiotics or skipping them) then your body may ovulate...
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Googly Bear's Avatar
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,602
My Mood:
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

Yes you should absolutely use backup whenever you take antibiotics.

You DTD on CD 7,8,9 unprotected. Sperm can live up to 5 days. If the antibiotics caused your body to ovulate, and you O'd before CD14, you could have gotten pregnant.
__________________
~Leigh
DD 7/30/06, : DS 3/27/08, and not-so-baby anymore DS 6/7/11
Googly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
ohgirlohboyohno's Avatar
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,645
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2cuties4ever View Post
Um... yes, problem!! Once the pill is not working (like, antibiotics or skipping them) then your body may ovulate...
poo...poo...poo! I thought it just made you fertile when you would normally be fertile....UGH!!...I have only ever conceived kids (and m/c) later in my cycle so I always figure I have a couple days right after my period for "freebies" if we aren't on bcpills.

Soooo....should I be testing now? I am taking a craptastic amount of pain meds/anti-inflamatories for my root canal and have had/will have a bunch of x-rays too.
__________________
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno

poo...poo...poo! I thought it just made you fertile when you would normally be fertile....UGH!!...I have only ever conceived kids (and m/c) later in my cycle so I always figure I have a couple days right after my period for "freebies" if we aren't on bcpills.

Soooo....should I be testing now? I am taking a craptastic amount of pain meds/anti-inflamatories for my root canal and have had/will have a bunch of x-rays too.
Yes, until you cycle. There's always always been a warning on my bC that antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the pill..
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Kimmiecello's Avatar
Kimmiecello
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Albany, IN
Posts: 169
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

(There was momma here in town who got preggo with quads while on the pill and took antibiotics. I'm sure that's not want you want to hear.)
Kimmiecello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
ohgirlohboyohno's Avatar
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,645
Re: antibiotics and BCPills?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiecello View Post
(There was momma here in town who got preggo with quads while on the pill and took antibiotics. I'm sure that's not want you want to hear.)
Oh you are evil

I tested the other day, was neg so still good
__________________
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.