Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
Amy_27
Registered Users

My Mood:
New Mexico Homeschooling

My husband and I have been talking about moving to New Mexico in the Alamogordo area in approximately 4 years. He works from home and when we visit NM, his allergies disappear . Keep in mind that we live in North Dakota now, which isn't the easiest state for homeschooling. I saw both states require items such as statement of intent, immunizations, and tracking attendance.

Are there homeschool groups that meet often (as in 1x per week or more)?
Also, it looks like there are many items that vary based on local school board policy. Is it easy to work with the school board? My worry is that all my daughter could earn is a "High School Equivalence Certificate" and not be accepted into college. Has anyone had issues with this or are there ways to avoid this issue?

Many Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Amy_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: New Mexico Homeschooling

I don't think any of the crowd that comes here has ever homeschooled in New Mexico, but I will try to help.

Groups -- check out Yahoo Groups and Facebook to see what you can find. All of the groups we've been a part of, we've found through those places. Las Vegas used more Yahoo and Oklahoma has been more Facebook, but I don't know if that's a difference in times or places, so check them both out.

HSLDA is your friend for all things law related, if you haven't already checked them out. As for the things that vary based on local school board policy, I think your best place for answers will be a group based in New Mexico. Most colleges these days will work with homeschoolers, I know. The few times I've worked with school boards in Alaska and here in Oklahoma, I've not had any problems, but I have, unfortunately, heard stories of people having problems.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Amy_27
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks. I'll see what I can do to contact the groups.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

https://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/hom...in-new-mexico/
this might help. Do you know what about NM probably helps his allergies? I'm in Arizona which depending on where is similar weather with much of NM. Homeschool wise though we have it about as simple as it gets. We notify the school district ONE time that we are homeschooling and then it is all our choice. No attendance no reporting needed nothing.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Amy_27
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are not sure but think it may be pollen or dust? We have been in NM in June while many desert plants are blooming and no issues there. Also, harvest here is another time when allergies act up. AZ would probably be a good option as well. All of us like the Alamogordo area because it is near mountains where we could still do winter sports like sled or ski. Hmmmm...maybe we could look at AZ since they have mountains too!!