Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
zoeysmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3yo persistant night time cough, help!!

Zoey was 3 in Oct. Since the holidays she has wakes up several times a night with a cough and sometimes during her nap, and usually when running around during playtime. I've been giving her Delsym (1/2 teap) at night when she does wake up. I took her to the Ped Jan 7 for this and said it was an illness. He chest sounded fine, her ears were infected. Zoey was given Augmenten for 10 days.

Early last week, I called the Dr as the cough was still there, and to talk about trying something for allergies. She recommended Zyrtec and to give her 3/4 teasp b/4 bed. That doesn't seem to be helping after 10 days, and they went back to Delsym. At times that seemed to help, or just helped her sleep.

I did schedule an appt for today...same office, different Ped who hasn't seen her since she was a newborn.

I am just at a lost...I hate seeing her up coughing....a few times she would get upset while coughing and then go into one of those coughing spells where she can't catch her breath. Scares me so so much. I suppose it can still be post nasal drip...but her nose is not running....I have her bed propped up...no fever....eating ok.

Anybody have experience with this???

Advertisement

zoeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: 3yo persistant night time cough, help!!

Have you tried running a humidifier?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
zoeysmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I haven't. That will put moisture in the air, and make it a little easier or more comfortable to breath ??
zoeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It should, yes. And if it is allergies, try washing everything in hot water to kill any dust mites and put allergy barriers on them. The allergy barriers you should be able to find anywhere that sells bedding -- WalMart, Meijer, Sears, etc.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

my son is just now getting over this- he got it around Christmas and has had a cough at night/naptime/running around ever since I was giving him cough syrup at bedtime and finally started doing albuterol breathing treatments before bed, which seemed to really help him.
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote