Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Baby won't settle after 3 am

I have been struggling with sleep issues with my little one for months. Things have improved. I moved the crib to a side-car position and he recently started stretching out his feedings. He also started napping longer.

Every night around 3-4 am he gets very restless. He usually stirs to eat and then I cannot get him back into a deep sleep so he will stay asleep when I lay him down. He remains in a light stage of sleep the whole time. I have tried rocking, bouncing, the swing and the bouncy seat. He'll protest by squirming and sometimes crying. He likes it best when I do squats. But that is very exhausting. I have even tried to curl up with him in bed. Nothing seems to move him into that deeper sleep necessary to lay him down. After a couple of hours I usually give up and wake him fully (he hates that) and let him stay up for about 15 min (I typically change his diaper) and then he goes back down without any problems.
I have tried changing his diaper earlier in the night when he's still out. I have experimented with clothing materials, temperature and swaddling methods.
Any ideas? I feel like we're so close to good sleep if we could just get over this one hurdle.

Advertisement

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby won't settle after 3 am

how old is he? We had numerous night wakings throughout the whole first year. It's a lot more common than many people will admit. When ds was really young, I slept with him on my chest a lot (and me sitting semi-upright, reclined with lots of pillows) because he would wake the moment I set him down.

A couple things -
First, there is nothing you are doing wrong. Some babies sleep better than others and it has nothing to do with parenting styles.

Second, do whatever you need (and feel comfortable with) for you both to get maximum sleep (and if that means you are up at night and nap with him during the day, then so be it)

Third, remember it's only a phase and he'll grow out of it when you are most frustrated with any sleep issues.

Elizabeth Pantley has a great book about sleep. I highly recommend it. That said, it gave us better insight on what is normal sleep but did not actually "fix" our sleep "problems"
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

Dad's chest always worked well for us - I took the night shift, he went to bed early and took the morning shift. My son is a good sleeper overall but he had reflux and just needed that upright snuggle. Or, the bouncy seat.

Have you tried a wedge under the mattress? The Dex makes one specifically for it - that helped my son a lot.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my boys were light sleepers from very early morning until we got up for the day. With DS1, I had to do what you did and wake him up fully then nurse him back to a deep sleep. With DS2, the swing in another room would lull him back into a deep sleep from about 4am until 7am. DS2 still stirs a lot in the early morning hours, talking in his sleep and rolling around in his crib.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
bradcher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our dauhter is 10 months old and we don't even feel tired anymore Hope your guy starts sleeping better soona nd wish I had some "tricks" for you to try
bradcher is offline   Reply With Quote