Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
RobinP92202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Warehouse membership

Right now I belong to Costco (a warehouse type shopping store) and my membership is up next month. It costs $40 a year to be a member. I can't decide whether or not it is worth it. We do use it for stocking up on certain non perisables, or buying items for a party, but I always seem to overspend when I am there. Like I can't get out of there for less than $200, it seems!

What are your thoughts, is it worth it to pay to be a member at a warehouse type store?

Advertisement

RobinP92202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Warehouse membership

I have a BJ's card through my mother's membership. For me it wouldn't be worth paying for a membership because the nearest BJ's is 30 minutes away, I don't go there often, and when I do go there I spend way too much money. I do get gas there when I'm in town by it because they have the cheapest gas prices.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

I gave up our Sam's membership because I just didn't find it to be worth it. I always spent too much, and the prices when you break it down are not that great that I couldn't get on sale/with coupons at regular stores.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I have a Sam's club membership, and just recently renewed my memebership.. I find it useful still... Reason being, I purchase things there that I know I have not seen many coupons out for.. And these are things that we need often..

Baby Wipes -tried cloth dont like it, I buy members mark cheapos, can get 1 box full for less then 15.00 and it stocks us up for months

Mandarin Oranges- rarely see q's for them, or the kind that we eat.

Green Beans (canned) price was better then any sale I had seen, I priced them for months

TP DH wont do cloth..

When we have big parties, I like to go there and buy in bulk for the parties..

in my eyes its worth it.
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's worth it for us. We usually buy cereal, oatmeal in the pkts for ds, milk, bread, some times a rotisserie chicken, chicken breasts and such. I can usually get out for under a $100. About every 6 months or so, it's close to $200. Since we have 2 more kids coming, it will be even better since more mouths to feed more food will be eaten.
I don't usually get clothes, movies, etc. I usually stick to food and non-perishable items such as tp and paper towels.
Oh, we have a Sams club membership and it's only 15 mins from us. I try to combine the trip with other stores too.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
fallon
Black Sheep Boutique
seller

My Mood:

it's totally worth it for us. Costco sells a lot of organic products that we could afford in the normal stores and we do 95% of our shopping there
fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For us it is. We can get milk for 2.70 a gallon and the grocery stores are charging 3.50ish...
Old 07-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think it depends.. my friend has cosco so I just go with her.. we had sam's club don't know if it was worth it??
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

I love my costco membership. there are certian things we buy there that we cant find anywhere else. they have carters outfits for $5 all the time as well as other good name brand clothing items for 50% off retail. for b-day parties a nice sized ice cream cake is $25 and they are really good. tortillas, eggs, cheese are all priced much better there than store sales. And when we get really bored on a weekend we can go in and sample around since theres usually a ton of sample booths up and grab a slice of pizza or a hotdog for lunch
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
MomToJazmyne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It has been worth it for a few things for us but with us moving at the end of the week out to the middle of nowhere, I think that it will be worth it for us because I will be able to buy in bulk and only have to go to the store once a month or so. We have a Sam's Club membership that we sgare with my mom right now and the best deals that I have found are:

Honey
TP (sometimes i get it at CVS)
Appliances
Meat
Office Supplies
Juice Boxes

J (8/15/06) and L (4/25/13)
MomToJazmyne is offline   Reply With Quote