Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What does your 2 yr old eat?

My ds rarely tells me when he is hungry and is a master at turning down food
I feel like we are in such a rut w/ food. I would love ideas for snacks and meals that are toddler approved.
THANKS! Jess

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
ive
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does your 2 yr old eat?

I'm just putting a response to see what others say lol. my son is in the same rut!! but then again he's a "big boy" already so I don't have to worry so much.

I've tried Jello w/ fruit in it.
Jello pudding
He loves Peanut butter w/ jam. If he can make it, he's more likely to take a bite or two
also I try to have fruits and some kind of Healthy snack on the bottom shelf in the fridge. just so "he" can decide what he wants. Dinner and lunch time is hard though. Atm he's in the Pop tarts, cheese, Oat meal phase. though he did eat some Pizza casserole I made today (2bites)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, well, my dd is a champion eater and came out that way- she will try just about anything so I feel fortunate. But here are some of her favorites:

Snacks: crackers, cheerios (yes, still!), rice cakes, edamame (frozen and boiled, she loves popping them open), pretzels, any kind of fruit whatsoever.

Meals: risotto with mushrooms, homemade pizza (actually this is a BIG hit and a great way to get veg in), chicken wings, sandwiches with cheese, tuna, chicken, whatever; salad; lately she loves dipping things so will actually eat veggies if she can dip them in some kind of dressing. I work this as much I can! She loves bagels with cream cheese, homemade oatmeal with raisins and lots of cinnamon, minestrone with lots of chickpeas, almost any kind of beans.

We use almost all whole wheat and brown rice for everything around here.

These are just some ideas. But again, dd is a big eater like me and open to new experiences. My ds on the other hand will not touch any solid food and just prefers to nurse- the exact opposite of his sister.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
usnkbaal
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What ever I make him We had a rule when our first was born that they eat what we eat with school and work schedules I do not have time to make 2 or more meals
He loves shake and bake though and tries to get it when ever possible.
Other things are like the other mama said jello with fruit.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
cricketsmomma
Registered Users
seller

Location: On an overgrown farm halfway up the side of a mountain.
My Mood:

my kid eats everything except tofu and olives. She is especially fond of mandarin oranges, peas, and mac & cheese. Good luck. We can barely keep her full and love taking her to all-you-can-eat buffets because she'll clean 2 plates. And she's still in 12-18 month clothes - we actually had one family doc accuse us of not feeding her enough. She's just more active than any kid I've ever known.
Maybe if you try to keep your kid so busy/active that he gets super-hungry? I think that's how ours learned to eat everything.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
cowboymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two year old eats best when it is separate type finger foods. If I give him casseroles, burgers, anything with multiple items, he is less likely to eat it. But if I give him mandarin oranges, string cheese, steamed broccoli, and chicken nuggets, all separately, he will go to town. So if I make beef stew, I take the meat out, the potatoes and the vegetables instead of trying to serve it all in a bowl.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboymommy View Post
My two year old eats best when it is separate type finger foods. If I give him casseroles, burgers, anything with multiple items, he is less likely to eat it. But if I give him mandarin oranges, string cheese, steamed broccoli, and chicken nuggets, all separately, he will go to town. So if I make beef stew, I take the meat out, the potatoes and the vegetables instead of trying to serve it all in a bowl.
good tip, he wont eat anything with a spread touching it, hummus, cream cheese, pb, ect. no sanwiches but he will eat the bread plain or the cheese plain (sometimes the meat)
He will use ketchup so I make sure that it is organic and give him stuff like baked sweet potato fries to dip (he dipped grapes in it once but hey he's eating right)
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnkbaal View Post
What ever I make him We had a rule when our first was born that they eat what we eat with school and work schedules I do not have time to make 2 or more meals
He loves shake and bake though and tries to get it when ever possible.
Other things are like the other mama said jello with fruit.
We don't do separate meals here either. Just looking for good snacks and meal ideas to try out...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My son is a good eater but I have noticed that he loves to dip his food into sauces. He will eat more if he can dip his food. So, I frequently offer small amounts of ketchup, ranch dressing, italian dressing, yogurt, honey, and anything else I can think of for dipping. Good luck!
kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

unfortunately the only thing he will use occasionally to dip is ketchup