Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does your 2 yr old eat?

My almost 2yo is very independent and very picky! He loves to feed himself and makes a big mess but that's the fun of it (for him). LOL

For snacks, he loves buttered bagels. Also likes blueberry or strawberry waffles plain. He's taken to asking for my cereal (Cinnamon Life) so I give him a small bowl. Loves fruits, especially berries. Cheese, yogurt, sometimes a scrambled egg. As for meals, that is the hard part. He likes Mac n Cheese (Annie's makes organic version) and spaghetti (either homemade or heat and serve (Gerber Graduates is preservative free, Annie's makes organic spaghetti too). He won't touch veggies at all. He will also eat Campbell's chicken noodle soup (or at least just the noodles though he eats the "carrots" that way too!).

The ped basically says to give him what he will eat within reason. We avoid sugars for the most part. He does get BK more than he should and that's really due to my preggo cravings for Whoppers! He likes their fries and will take a few nibbles of a chicken nugget.

My 3yo has always been a great eater but this guy is definitely more of a challenge. It doesn't help that he is definitely on the small side!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
cryssi1978
Registered Users

My DD isn't quite 2 yet, she's almost 18 months but she eats everything. She shocked her grandmother the other night when she scarfed down three small bowls of split pea soup. I hav more trouble with my older two that are 6 and 11, but the little one is an eating machine. She's still tiny too, so I don't know where she puts it. She finally just hit 20 pounds. I've been really good with getting her to try a variety of foods too, plus she's still nursing. A few ideas that I've tried that works well are mac-n-cheese, pasta, american chop suey, baked chicken and black beans and rice.

There is a lot of options that you can do with mac-n-cheese as well. A friend taught me a trick to sneak in veggies so that my 6 year old will eat them. Take a veggie (broccoli for instance) steam it really well, then puree it in with the cheese sauce mix and add it to the pasta. Our mac-n-cheese comes in a rainbow of colors here (green-broccoli/spinach/asparagus , orange-carrots, purple-beets, yellow-orange-butternut squash and off-white-cauliflower) and the kids love it. The texture is a little odd sometimes but at least they are eating their veggies.
cryssi1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Granted, DD LOVES to eat, but here are some of the meals and single items she loves:

yogurt
smoothies
avocado
kiwi
cottage cheese
cheese curds
goldfish
lentil soup
beans from a can
grapes
apple
banana, etc.
pbj
chicken strips
french fries
pizza
applesauce
yogurt
frozen berries (yep, right outta the freezer.)
hard boiled eggs
graham crackers
salad with ranch dressing
tofu (raw!)
olives
sausages, hot dogs

oddly, she's not big on cereal. Never has been. We often do muffin tin lunches where I just fill it with fingerfood and daddy lets her pick what she wants all day long.

At dinner time, if I let her help with the cooking (ie supervise me from the counter) she'll fill up by swiping things from the cutting board. She'll eat almost anything this way, so I let her take bites of zuccini, sausage, tofu, broccoli, whatever I have going and don't worry about her eating the finished product.

Last edited by blossomgoat; 01-26-2009 at 09:03 AM.
blossomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
RobinP92202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2 year old is a pretty good eater, much better than my 4 year old, lol. Some of his favorites:
*breakfast food--pancakes, waffles, grits, oatmeal, turkey bacon, turkey sausage
*all types of fruit---melon, bananas, apple slices, grapefruit, oranges
*Mexican food--he loves spanish rice and seasoned turkey meat or chicken. I give him cut tortillas and he wraps the meat, cheese, rice, beans, etc all up in a tortilla and we call it a baby burrito
*veggies, especially ones he can pick up and bite off of, like broccoli "trees", green beans, corn on the cob
*random things like tomato soup with croutons on top, chicken rice soup, turkey meatballs, italian turkey sausage, roast chicken, cut up cheddar cheese, yogurt, goldfish crackers, bowls of cereal and milk, homemade chicken fried rice, etc
*his favorite treat is queso and salsa for dipping chips in. He gets so excited when we go out for MExican and he gets "cheese dip". Funny thing is I craved Mexican the entire time I was pregnant with him, lol

Last edited by RobinP92202; 01-26-2009 at 09:34 AM.
RobinP92202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomgoat View Post
Granted, DD LOVES to eat, but here are some of the meals and single items she loves:

yogurt
smoothies
avocado
kiwi
cottage cheese
cheese curds
goldfish
lentil soup
beans from a can
grapes
apple
banana, etc.
pbj
chicken strips
french fries
pizza
applesauce
yogurt
frozen berries (yep, right outta the freezer.)
hard boiled eggs
graham crackers
salad with ranch dressing
tofu (raw!)
olives
sausages, hot dogs

oddly, she's not big on cereal. Never has been. We often do muffin tin lunches where I just fill it with fingerfood and daddy lets her pick what she wants all day long.

At dinner time, if I let her help with the cooking (ie supervise me from the counter) she'll fill up by swiping things from the cutting board. She'll eat almost anything this way, so I let her take bites of zuccini, sausage, tofu, broccoli, whatever I have going and don't worry about her eating the finished product.

Ds does pretty good with the bolded. I should try the muffin tin idea. He seems to like single items and I could mix in some new stuff in the different compartments and see if he tries them.
I try to encourage him to eat without putting too much pressure on him. I never force him to finish or sit at the table if he does not want to eat....
Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
faithhopeluv777
Registered Users

My dd loves black beans. I'll top it with sour cream or plain yogurt and she loves it. Sometimes I sprinkle cheese on it. She also likes wheat pasta with diced tomatoes. Yesterday, I discovered she likes spinach dip. It probably wasn't the most healthy (it was at Chili's), but I'm sure it can be made in a healthy way. She loves yogurt covered raisins. And she also likes cheese-all kinds of cheese. She's not a big meat eater, but I try to get her nutrients in with other types of foods.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS eats almost everything. He does still eat baby food veggies with his lunch at the sitters, baby food fruit with his dry cereal at the sitters, and a mix of baby food fruit and veggies with his snack at the sitters. At home, I rarely pull out the baby food unless I don't make a kid friendly veggie with dinner.

He eats anything he can pick up on his own, stab with a fork, or get with a spoon. He loves to dip anything and everything in ketchup so we let him. He prefers to see us eating the exact same thing and will ask for a 'bite' to make sure. We eat all kinds of cooked meats, steamed veggies, fresh fruit, and breads. I don't use many spices, DH can spice it himself on his plate, so most of our foods are kid friendly.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboymommy View Post
My two year old eats best when it is separate type finger foods. If I give him casseroles, burgers, anything with multiple items, he is less likely to eat it. But if I give him mandarin oranges, string cheese, steamed broccoli, and chicken nuggets, all separately, he will go to town. So if I make beef stew, I take the meat out, the potatoes and the vegetables instead of trying to serve it all in a bowl.
This sounds just like my dd! She eats her meals in courses...more than one type of food on her plate justoverwhelms her!