Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS is Afraid of the Dr.

As some of you know from my posts, my DS, Giancarlo, had an accident on the 1st of the year and is in a spica cast. His attitude so far has been awesome. he has been happy and had a good sense of humor.
My ds loves his ped so we have never had this issue. Butl, today we were discussing his appt this afternoon and he started crying saying he doesn't want to go to the Dr. and he just wants to keep his cast on forever. I know he is afraid of getting xrays. This whole accident has really scared him because of all the blood draws, IV, blood pressure taking, xrays etc. The hardest thing for him has been that I can not go in with him for xrays because I am pregnant. My DH goes with him, but he wants me. The last xray tech was a real jerk and kept asking my DH why he was crying so much. he kept messing up on the exposures and having to take more xrays. Fortunately, we are not returning to THAT dr. office as they were NOT kid friendly or friendly at all, IMO. We are seeing a pediatric ortho dr. that is one of the best, and as kid friendly as his office is, I think Giancarlo has been jaded by the previous experience. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this or how to make it not as scary? Our next appt after this will be cast removal and I was told that will take 20-30 min and is VERY loud. I am not one to medicate, but I am thinking he may need something to calm him. Seeing him so scared is scaring me
As I have learned... you all have such great wisdom - I need some now,
too!
I know there are alot of mamas on here that have had children that have regular hospitalizations or dr. appts that may have dealt with this. Help!

Advertisement

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS is Afraid of the Dr.

how old is he?
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I would call the doctor he will be seeing this time and talk to them about what happened last time. Explain to them that now your son is afraid and ask for suggestions or see what they can do to handle the situation. If they are used to dealing with kids and child-friendly, they will have experience with scared kids and know how to make the experience a better one for him. I'm so sorry your son had to deal with a jerk before. I have no clue why some adults seem to think it is ok to discount a child's fears or crying over something that is new and scary for them.

I"d also talk to your son ahead of time and explain exactly what will happen, that it will be a bit loud but let him know that the other doctor he saw before won't be there at all this time.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

The reason I ask is because Maddie was fine with the doctor until she got to her be 18 months old. Then she turned into a nightmare whenever we went. Each pedi we have seen said its a normal stage that most kids go through at some point. She never had anything "happen" to cause it, she just got afraid.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie&Jake'sMom View Post
how old is he?
Sorry, should have mentioned - he is 4 yrs old.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
I would call the doctor he will be seeing this time and talk to them about what happened last time. Explain to them that now your son is afraid and ask for suggestions or see what they can do to handle the situation. If they are used to dealing with kids and child-friendly, they will have experience with scared kids and know how to make the experience a better one for him. I'm so sorry your son had to deal with a jerk before. I have no clue why some adults seem to think it is ok to discount a child's fears or crying over something that is new and scary for them.

I"d also talk to your son ahead of time and explain exactly what will happen, that it will be a bit loud but let him know that the other doctor he saw before won't be there at all this time.
That is an awesome idea. I actually talked to the Dr.'s assistant a few days ago because they had wanted to remove part of the cast today and my dh and I had discussed it and decided against it. When we were told how loud it is to do, we figured it is better if it is all done at once. We did not want him to go through the fear twice. That is when we discussed giving something to calm him during the removal since it takes so long. I just did not forsee him freaking out over the regular visit! I would call them again.. but i don't want them to think I am being neurotic. lol

Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Erinne
Registered Users

Can you find some videos on youtube or something of what is going to happen to him so he can see? If it looks scary, that might make things worse, but you could preview them and decide if it might help.
I agree that a mild sedative might be better than letting him be so afraid, and honestly, having a cast cut off would probably be scary for anyone.
Good luck and I hope he's feeling much better soon.
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

You're not neurotic. You're taking care of your kiddo, which is your job. Any doctor's office worth going to will understand that. So, call them and ask for suggestions on this upcoming appointment, and if they can talk with your son about the appointment where they take the cast off when you're there.

Besides - better for them to be forewarned that he's afraid...I'd hate to be a doctor or nurse who walked in and unexpectedly had a kid totally freak out.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Linzomama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've never heard how loud the cast removal saw is, so I'm not sure if it would help or not, but when my 4 year old had a cavity drilled, I brought headphones and her little mp3 player for her. You could get him some new kids music or audio book to help distract him. Sorry that's all I can think of!

Let us know how it goes for your little guy!
Linzomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
mekat
Registered Users

If you are worried he will be scared of the loud noise you might want to consider ear plugs. I don't know what to tell you about the rest because I have never dealt with a neurologically typical child in this situation. My son, Alec is too delayed to understand things in the typical way but he is still very observant and reacts. Alec learned fear from very early on that doctors & nurses equaled pain. He would scream at less then a year of age when ever someone in a medical uniform would come near him or when ever placed on a medical examing table. Generally I try to hold him through most exams as much as possible to keep him as calm as I can. The doctors and nurses try to touch him as little as possible to decrease his distress. His pediatric GI doesn't touch him at all, he just asks me to lift his shirt and observes from a foot away his medical devices. We also sedate or use general anesthisa for any lengthy tests. I do know at the old Children's hospital the Child life department worked with children and their anxiety with procedures. You may want to call your local Children's hospital to see if they have a CLD expert that can help you with reading/viewing material and techniques to calm a child but if you do have to sedate it really is no big deal. You just need to be careful with him afterwards because they tend to be more accident prone while the drugs are working themselves out of the system. You may not have a choice but to sedate if you can't keep him still enough to complete the procedure.

ETA - Forgot to write another thing I do is a new toy for every hospitalization and I also keep a few special toys that he is only allowed to play with at the doctors so they never grow old.

Last edited by mekat; 01-30-2009 at 03:09 PM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote