Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
mekat
Registered Users

Cloth diapers & accesories with the special needs child- recommendations

I thought that since this is a sub forum of a cloth diaper forum that it might be nice if we listed items that worked well with our children's unique needs whether it be fit (around equipment or larger fit for older children), alternative uses or help with behavioral issues such as keeping hands out of diapers or maybe their is a WAHM who will customize her pattern for fit etc.... Any way you get the idea.

For example

Cuddlebuns - I love them because they are supper stretchy and don't interfere with Alec's ostomy bag.

LLamajama wool shorts - I love them because they are nice and big and fit well over my soon to be four year old's body and ostomy. I have never had good luck with crocheted items because they aren't stretchy enough and I have had some exquisitely crocheted wool soakers sadly enough.

I have a few things being made or waiting to be packaged & shipped so I will update once I actually get to try them.

Advertisement

mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapers & accesories with the special needs child- recommendations

What works for us; dd has a colostomy, she urinates constantly (super-heavy wetter), and has a super-wide pelvis and leg braces:

UTN fitteds because they are really wide between the legs; they are also organic cotton and don't hold ammonia odor like synthetics. (We have really hard water.)

Thirsties covers because they have tons of stretch and can fit a large tummy!

Fleece covers/skirties because they are breathable; if you get windpro, they're bulletproof too! Also, they can be custom-made for dd with her colostomy and large tummy in mind.

Swaddlebees ecoliners and hemp inserts; the ecoliners have a soft layer of organic velour and snap together in a loop to provide 6 layers of protection yet dry quickly. Their hemp inserts are sewn in a loop and are less expensive than the ecoliners and offer 4 layers of protection.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

M uses 100% Royal Buns pockets. We've had to send all but the nighttime diapers back to convert them from aplix to snaps because M complained that the aplix scratched his thighs.

M will eventually potty train. He's extremely delayed and has chronic diarrhea. So, he needs to wear diapers that he can pull up and down himself to allow for potty accidents *and* the ability to use the potty still.

Colleen with Royal Buns was AMAZING to work with. She mailed 5 diapers to the fostermom before we got M home, so fostermom could survive until homecoming rather than giving notice on him just before the placement. She has also converted all the aplix to snaps for the cost of shipping only (have one more shipment of diapers to send back for conversion).

Inside our pockets, I use a microfiber towel wrapped around a hemp doubler from Fluffymail. They sold me a ton of the doublers cheap and fast when I told them they worked so well for M's diapers.

And, a good friend made a bazillion wipes at cost only. She's actually about to make me more since 100 wipes is not enough with the diarrhea, nose drainage, messes and sharing with the baby sister.

I tried a few other options, hoping to get it tweaked even better. But, DH threw a fit because it wasn't as easy to work with. So, I just make sure to put fleece or polyester long pants on M when he goes to bed at night. About twice a week, his nght diaper will leak poo. As long as he has fleece or poly pants, it protects his bed and we can just clean him up.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
EmmieSuesbabyboutique
Registered Users
Formerly: heyfire
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow this is great, I was just sitting her thinking there has to be someother mamas who need cloth for older kids.
I have an 8 year old who needs some kinda pull-up on. I want to go cloth for her so bad! I thought about trying reg undies and using mama pads for her.
Anyone ever try that?
Joyce from Bagshot Row made me a custom pullup for my DD and they work great, but still seem bulky. Well so do the paper pullups medicaid sends us.
Please keep the ideas coming I am really wanting something.

10% off for a limited time. http://www.lenabrowndesings.com for all your knitting and crochet needle cases
EmmieSuesbabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a g-tuber, super heavy wetter. Now I can come up with dipes to contain the pee, but not without adding bulk. Poor dd always ends up looking like she's riding a horse. She's very petite and is horribly uncomfortable in bulky cloth, so we had to switch to sposies at night. I want desperately to go back to cloth but just haven't found something not very bulky that will go all night with a kid on continuous feeds. I wish I could afford to shop around, but even from fsot with the cost of just living now a days, I can't. I've been bummed about this for so long now.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
mekat
Registered Users

I''m sorry everyone is experiencing such difficulty. Yes it is hard we have used disposables on and off. Right now we use sposies 35% of the time, mainly when he is at his ESE head start program. I have come to get back with you all I have tried two new products and both are marvelous.

Primm n'Proper AIO XL's - Alec is 37 inches long 29lbs with a 23 inch waist due to his colostomy at waist level. Her xl's are huge they may very well see him through elementary school assuming the material lasts that long, he's 3 now. He is on the smallest setting of them and that is marvelously roomy considering he can't fit into many larges and extra larges because of his large waist size. She is closed right now but check back in a week or so and she should be open again for customs. Oh and I would say they are super absorbent I would rate them up there with Cuddlebun diapers for absorbency. Just as a side note I did pay extra to upgrade the soaker and to put a layer of bamboo in so I am not sure how absorbent the down graded (thus cheaper) diapers are. She also makes a night time version in xl for better absorbency which I didn't try although if she ever decides to turn her nighttime aio into a fitted maybe. I don't like a diaper on my son's skin that long if it can't breathe, we prefer wool at night which brings me to my next product.

Grateful Buns 1x's recycled wool covers - They are cute, inexpensive 2 layer wool covers so they are night worthy. She even makes a 2x for children 40lbs and up. I would say her sizing is pretty close to accurate. She is both on Etsy and Ebay but she seems to stock her larger sizes of Etsy. I believe she does customs as well. I love love love my cover and can't wait to buy another one.

I will update again if I find anymore good plus sized diapering stuff.

Last edited by mekat; 05-28-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
EmmieSuesbabyboutique
Registered Users
Formerly: heyfire
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menfusse View Post
I have a g-tuber, super heavy wetter. Now I can come up with dipes to contain the pee, but not without adding bulk. Poor dd always ends up looking like she's riding a horse. She's very petite and is horribly uncomfortable in bulky cloth, so we had to switch to sposies at night. I want desperately to go back to cloth but just haven't found something not very bulky that will go all night with a kid on continuous feeds. I wish I could afford to shop around, but even from fsot with the cost of just living now a days, I can't. I've been bummed about this for so long now.
I have a very heavy wetter at night and she still wakes at night and wants to be changed. (we tried sposies and she still wakes for changes) But its only one time a night and goes right back to sleep.
But my fav for night time are FB (fuzzibuns) you can stuff them with a Leo Baby mighty nighty or mightier nighty, and I add an extra MF towel (the smaller brand from walmart) This seems to work, its bulkie but not bad.
Or a Sbish baby, they are so soft and hold so much. At night I add an extra doubler (she sells those also or I make my own) Then add a fleece cover, or fleece paints when its colder out. I would love wool, but can't afford that right now so we use fleece soakers. Swaddlebees have some nice ones.
The Sbish with fleece or wool is way less bulk.

10% off for a limited time. http://www.lenabrowndesings.com for all your knitting and crochet needle cases
EmmieSuesbabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
moe1473
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi Mama's new here to CDing and have pretty much convereted to all cloth. We do have an 8 yr old boy who has Spina Bifida. He is intermittently catheterized but leaks btwn and does not have complete control of his bm's. Currently we get sposies for him, but they rub his inner leg and looks sore (he has minimal sensation so he doesnt say it hurts but sure looks like it should) Since he is getting older and does most of his cathing himself we are trying to find cd for him that he can do himself and perhaps find them to look closer to "big kid" underwear that we can. We've tried pull ups on him but since he scoots around on the side of his hip they would slide around too b/c of all the elastic on the sides. Anyone have any idea where to start to look for something like that? He weighs around 55-60 pounds, but is pretty lean and lanky in the hips. Also cant be too bulky of his bracing that he wears for standing.

Thanks!
moe1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
mekat
Registered Users

I have no idea how to help with situation. Snap ez trainers are very popular in the cding world and they go up to quite a large size. You can also check out her other site Snap ez 4 life for youth and adult diapers. Underjams the new sposie pull ups are getting super popular among sn parents. I have no idea if either suggestion will work. My one other thought is if it is just leaking and not full on urine flood would it be possible to put him in regular underwear with a postpartum/over night maxi pad you could chose either cloth or disposable. Or maybe a Ditto daddy trainer? Although I don't know if they make them big enough. Sorry I am no help at all.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
aslmere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am having a hard time figuring out how to fund these bigger diapers.
For the past yr I have been relying on the ssi/medicaid disposables. BUT he has started having a nasty reaction to them. Since I use cloth with baby ds I had stuff for at home/nighttime... toddler prefold with 2 hemp doublers and bummi xl pull on cover.
And then for the day I have been buying those really big kid nightime pull ups, but they are $$$$. $17 for 21.
I can't send him to school or therapy in a prefold........

I want the try some of the snap ez, but would have to get just one at a time...
I am going to look more at somef these other suggestions.

Nina

Last edited by aslmere; 06-16-2008 at 10:00 PM.
aslmere is offline   Reply With Quote