Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:
2 year old just not sleeping anymore

My son turned 2 at the beginning of Jan. He's always been a good sleeper and pretty independent but in the past 3 weeks his sleeping patterns have really changed. He's become nearly impossible to put to sleep at night and he's stopped really napping. On top of that he's started waking up in the middle of the night (between 3 and 4pm) and coming to sleep with us. He's always woken up maybe 2-3 times each week but has been easy to put back to sleep. I don't mind him coming into bed with us but he doesn't sleep. He rolls around on the bed, jumps, talks, basically treats us like a jungle gym. We try for about an hour to calm him down before we send him back to his bed. He will wake up about 4 more times after that. DH or I will go in, give hugs/kisses, and put him back in bed. By 6-6:30am he's asleep and will sleep until about 9 or 10 if not woken up.

He used to take two 2 hour naps a day. He gradually dropped to just one at home (still 2 on the 2 days he goes to daycare each week) but now he won't even take one at home. If he weren't tired I would just roll with it. But he obviously needs this second nap and has been a real pistol to deal with when he doesn't take it. In just 3 days this week he has: Pulled all the drawers out of his dresser and climbed it (luckily it was strapped to the wall), taken most of the rocks/all of the trees out of his fish tank, killed a fish in the process, and burned (just a little red mark-not badly) his hand on a light bulb. All of those things occurred when he was in his room alone after me putting him down for a nap. And they all occurred in the time it took me to hear something on the monitor and make it up 4 flights of steps from the basement.

I'm at a total loss. I have no idea what I need to do. #2 is on the way in July and I'm taking 9 hours of grad classes right now. I need those 2 hours a day to stay sane. What can I do? Is this normal? Thank you if you made it this far.

Advertisement

Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 year old just not sleeping anymore

It pretty much sounds normal as he's entering that developmental stage of becoming more independant yet being quite dependent still.

Also I will say when my son turned 2 and he started getting his 2nd year molars, he was like a completely different child.

I don't have any really good advice except that with my son it did start passing. But that doesn't help you now
http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh my! This sounds familiar. When my DD hit 2.5, she stopped napping entirely, and we have yet to get her to restart taking naps, and it's been 9 months. I can't help you with the naps, but I'm there too. Sometimes I can get our DD to do "quiet time", which is when she goes into her bedroom and reads books or plays quietly. That's about as close as I can get to naptime right now.

My DD wakes up during the night too, and does exactly as you describe. We've found that most times when she wakes up, she's hungry, so we usually get up, get her a snack (crackers, string cheese, something quick and easy), and then send her back to her bed. We usually don't spend more than 10 minutes getting up and feeding her, and most days she goes back to sleep in her bed. I also try to make sure she has a snack before going to bed. We don't let her wiggle around in our bed at all; if she gets in and starts wiggling, she's out immediately, and that's that. She's slowly gotten better about it, though, and I think part of it is that she's figuring out that if she wiggles, she doesn't get to snuggle.

It sounds like you kind of have a safety problem if he's getting into things like you're describing. Can you set up an area for him down in the basement, like a pack-and-play with toys and books maybe? Let him know that this is "quiet play time", and he has to stay in the pack-and-play for a while? If you picked out a few toys that he only played with during that time, it would probably help too.

I feel your plight, mama.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkant View Post
It sounds like you kind of have a safety problem if he's getting into things like you're describing. Can you set up an area for him down in the basement, like a pack-and-play with toys and books maybe? Let him know that this is "quiet play time", and he has to stay in the pack-and-play for a while? If you picked out a few toys that he only played with during that time, it would probably help too.

I feel your plight, mama.
Thanks for all the suggestions! He can climb out of a PNP but we might look into getting some toys that he only gets to play with during QT. I feel like he's always into everything. He knows how to open the drawer locks, figured out how to get the door knob no-turn safety things off, pulls out the socket blockers, broke the fridge lock because he pulled so hard, and I swear the child could scale a flat surface. I just need a moment's peace. I'm at the point where i just want to sell everything we own and live in an empty house so there's nothing for him to destroy/hurt himself on.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
mommyEileen
Registered Users

Has anything changed in his diet? Sometimes what we eat can affect our sleep -- not just caffeine or "sugar".
mommyEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes when they are tired they are actually MORE restless. I know u r having trouble getting him down. Will he keep headphones on at all? Can you lay with him in your bed until he falls asleep. then get up or nap yourself! DS would do headphones with DH's ipod with white noises. I woudl let him pick (campfire, ocean, woods, etc.) He got to like it
some days were tough. I had to be firm about it. start with 15 mins. If he does well, praise him - i would promise a snack upon getting up. Sometimes I woudl even make cookies! Also like pp's suggestion about snack before hand
You just have to try different things. but be consistent about the block of time once something seems to click. I take what I can get, but some days I realize I am being too leinient and DS has talked to me the entire QT. then I have to go back and say, NO, this is what we are doing now. Mommy is resting, etc.
HTH