Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Jaquita
Registered Users

My Mood:
My breasts are out of control!

My daughter is 9 weeks old. When she was 5 weeks, breast feeding was going so well that I decided to start pumping once every two days to start building up a milk reserve in the freezer so that I could leave her with her dad for a few hours at a time and not worry about the poor thing starving or my dear husband going crazy with a screaming infant.

I could pump about 4-5 ounces in 20 minutes. Great. What happened after a week of that, unfortunately, was that she started to have very frothy green poops. I looked it up and it seems like my breasts were overproducing, something that hadn't happened before I started pumping. She wasn't getting the hindmilk (only the foremilk) and that because she wasn't able to empty the breast, both of us were in for some problems.

I stopped pumping and within a few days the problem had resolved itself. Unfortunately, this means that I only have a couple of bags of milk in the freezer and I *would* like to leave the house without the baby eventually.

Did anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? I was only pumping once every two days, but my breasts still went cah-razy. I'm in Canada, so I don't need to worry about going back to work until after Christmas. I don't *need* to pump, but I'd like to pump so that grandma or dad can look after little girl once in a while.

Advertisement

Jaquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
haddiehold1109
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: My breasts are out of control!

Block feeding. Kellymom.com has a lot of great info. I still block feed at 15 mos. and mine is so bad that we do two feedings per side before switching. It has helped drastically!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had that issue with DS2. Due to a nipple injury, I was only able to pump one side. So I would nurse on 'side A', then pump on 'side B'. At the next feeding, I would offer 'side A' again first. He rarely took the second side at that time. I made sure to pump in the AM when I would get the most milk the quickest, and only pumped until I hit 3oz, which is the increment I stored milk in.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Be careful with blockfeeding. It can cause low supply and low weight gain for some babies. A LC told me a method that shouldn't increase your milk supply. In the early morning for your first feeding feed baby on one side and pump the other. An hour later offer the pumped breast and pump the other. You should get enough for one feeding doing that.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
greenfrogger
Registered Users
seller

I have had similar problems, and I find that both of my breasts are fairly full when I wake up in the morning anyway, so I feed DS on one side, then pump the other side. For the rest of the day, I alternate sides offering only one side per feeding.
greenfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote