Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
StephanieHeld
Registered Users

New mom and overwhelmed

My name is Stephanie and I am expecting my first baby. Her due date is March 30th and her name is Elvi.

I would love advice on cloth diapers. I have read some things but so far I am leaning towards pockets and fitted diapers over prefolds since prefolds intimidate me. I have also heard that cotton is better than polyester.

I have looked into Big Elephant brand and AlvaBaby but don't really know what I am doing.

It seems like startup can be expensive so I have been looking for used options to save money.

Advertisement

StephanieHeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: New mom and overwhelmed

Prefolds can be easy you just told them and lay them in a cover. Just mentioning that since they can be an inexpensive option.

Welcome!

Last edited by Agla; 02-13-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Prefolds can be easy vomit you just told them and lay them in a cover. Just mentioning that since they can be an inexpensive option.

Welcome!
Agla -- do you realize you said "vomit"? (think she meant "Prefolds can be easy option, you just fold them and lay them in a cover.")

It can be intimidating. Unfortunately it's hard knowing what is best for your family or what will work for you LO. Using cotton is more natural but some babies can't tolerate wetness and need the stay dry. Some babies are allergic to the stay dry and need cotton.

I don't recommend buying everything through potty learning before birth. With my first I had a variety of options to try out. Fitteds, pockets, inserts for AI2 system (laying insert in cover), even wool.

With DS I ended up liking prefolds attached with thristies duo size 1 covers and then one size covers until about 9m. Around 9m went with the grovia AI2 system or prefolds trifolded in covers. At night he used a bum genius pocket through it all. (so cotton during the day and stay dry at night)

With DD, we started with flats and covers and tried to switch to an AI2 system after newborn but she was sensitive. She ended up needing stay dry all day and wool as much as we could manage. She used pockets at daycare and fitteds lined with stay dry under wool at home and at night. Her cloth diapering was a bit harder road. My son could wear anything, it was totally my choice.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why it auto corrected to vomit I will never know.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree it's hard to know what you'll like and what will work. Maybe pick a couple styles/brands you seem to like and only get newborn size stash for now. See what you think before ordering the next size or a one-size option.

And congrats on baby, and welcome!
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
StephanieHeld
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for their advice! I greatly appreciate it! I feel like my friends and some family think I am crazy for wanting to go the cloth diaper route but I at least want to try.
StephanieHeld is offline   Reply With Quote