Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
~MamaMayhem~
Registered Users
Formerly: azmansmom
seller

My Mood:
Going to have surgery and need to supplement..please advise

I am getting a tubal in two weeks and I can't pump. My dd is BFed and eats solids three times a day. I have a low milk supply and seem to only produce what she will consume so I can not effectively pump in the meantime. I planned on using goats milk for the 24-48 hours she will be unable to nurse and all I can get my hands on is the stuff in the can. Any advice on how to go about this and how to use the goats milk (or mix it etc) is appreciated!

Almost all typos provided care of my iPhones stupid auto correct

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going to have surgery and need to supplement..please advise

Persoanally I would ETA: NOt switch her cold turkey to just goats milk. I would consider starting her on it early and pumping the excess. So both now and while you are out for the surgery she is on a mix of both so as not to totally upset her system. Also look into the anesthisia and such a little more some are safe while BF.

Last edited by slimy72; 08-16-2012 at 03:13 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
~MamaMayhem~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
Persoanally I would switch her cold turkey to just goats milk. I would consider starting her on it early and pumping the excess. So both now and while you are out for the surgery she is on a mix of both so as not to totally upset her system. Also look into the anesthisia and such a little more some are safe while BF.
I'm sorry, I can't imagine that goats milk is better than breast milk. Was that what you meant?
I will definitely look into the anesthesia.
I will also look at starting early to have the breast mill for later. That's a good idea, thanks.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you sure she can't nurse for that long? Have you looked up the anesthetic in Hale's?
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I had a tubal and nursed when I got home.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~MamaMayhem~ View Post
I'm sorry, I can't imagine that goats milk is better than breast milk. Was that what you meant?
I will definitely look into the anesthesia.
I will also look at starting early to have the breast mill for later. That's a good idea, thanks.

I missed putting a not in there. I would not switch her cold turkey. Just because it van be very upsetting to babies system. Goat milk is not better in any way shape or form. I would just start the transition a few days before so she is on both for a few days and you can pump for a few days so she can continue to have both while you are down. Of course the ideal is she would only need one or two bottles adn then it wouldn't as big of a deal. But if you're thinking you'll need the goats milk for several days that is where my suggestion was coming from. Hopefully you can nurse again right after surgery.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

If you plan to use goat's milk make sure to get a liquid children's vitamin, fish oil, and molassas to make sure the vitamins and fat content are right. I used to make DS2 goat's milk formula.

Personally, I just used two bottles of soy formula while I was gone and nursed when I got home. Everything was fine.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had surgical procedures several times while nursing. You can find information about appropriate anesthesia on Dr. Hale and also Kelly Mom. You do not need to abstain from nursing in most if not all cases. There are anesthesia combinations that are better than others. Anesthesia is designed to be fast acting. By the time you are even awake the bioavailability of the drug in your system is minimal.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
~MamaMayhem~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
I have had surgical procedures several times while nursing. You can find information about appropriate anesthesia on Dr. Hale and also Kelly Mom. You do not need to abstain from nursing in most if not all cases. There are anesthesia combinations that are better than others. Anesthesia is designed to be fast acting. By the time you are even awake the bioavailability of the drug in your system is minimal.
I called them back and my information was incorrect. They want me to pump my first time and dump it and then she can nurse. Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think I may do the soy although I really don't like the idea of using formula. Do I need to add vitamins if she is only drinking it until early afternoon?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
Persoanally I would ETA: NOt switch her cold turkey to just goats milk. I would consider starting her on it early and pumping the excess. So both now and while you are out for the surgery she is on a mix of both so as not to totally upset her system. Also look into the anesthisia and such a little more some are safe while BF.
This. Whether you use goat's milk or formula, I'd start giving her a small amount now, and pumping the excess for later (try pumping BEFORE nursing rather than after, if you aren't already). Even if it's only one bottle she'll be getting, to introduce something new so suddenly would really upset her system.

If it's only one bottle's worth then no, no reason to add vitamins and such to goat's milk :-)
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote