Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

Born Free bottle users - questions from a bottle newbie!

I breastfed my son, who is biological, and we never used formula. Now that we are hoping to adopt I've been doing some research on bottles since we will be formula feeding, but this is all new to me. I've settled on Born Free glass bottles.

I'm confused about sizes though. I'm looking at the gift pack that has three 5 oz. bottles and two 9 ounce bottles. Obviously we'll need more than just 5 bottles total, so what size should I buy more of? These are spendy so I don't want to overbuy...

And nipples...different "stages"? Stage 1, 2, 3 and then there is a "variable flow". Do I need to get all the stages, or does the "variable flow" nipple cover them all?

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Born Free bottle users - questions from a bottle newbie!

I'g get bigger bottles since by the time baby is 5-6 months they will have outgrown the 5 oz bottles, they'll just keep eating more but never less KWIM . I'd get slow flow nipples and some variable too.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
louisandheather
Registered Users

We use the born free glass bottles and love them Buy the 9 oz as they work great from the beginning. Our son prerfered the nuk nipple that he used in the NICU so we use the wide mouth nuk nipple in the born free glass bottles. This combination works great and they don't leak.
louisandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
spottycat
Registered Users
seller
seller

The variable nipples are great once your lo is a little older. The settings on the variable flow nipple run a little faster than the stage specific nipples. We found that the stage one setting on the variable flow was actually more like a stage two nipple. Does that make sense?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

Please just be super careful with these. I used these for DS2 and had three of them just shatter for no reason. We didn't use a bottle warmer or anything. It'd seriously be just sitting on the counter and the shatter. Another one the bottom just fell off and left glass shards everywhere. One even shattered while in an arms reach cosleeper and I couldn't get it cleaned up and we had to throw it away

I used evenflow glass bottles and never had this issue. We got all of them from the same lot and I'm thinking maybe something was just off with them? I don't know but please just be careful.