Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
keonli
Registered Users
seller

Exercise and diastasis recti?

I have a mild case of diastasis recti. After walking/running (even babywearing for over an hour) or general exercise, I will have lower pelvic pain. Compression shorts are helping just a bit but I have found myself having some issues afterwards too. I'm 9 months post partum and was told a full recovery might take months or years.

Anyone dealt with this? I'm having a hard time keeping the weight off because I have to take a few rest days afterwards. My diet is so and so, but since I'm bfing, I feel like I eat a ton.

Advertisement

keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
I have a mild case of diastasis recti. After walking/running (even babywearing for over an hour) or general exercise, I will have lower pelvic pain. Compression shorts are helping just a bit but I have found myself having some issues afterwards too. I'm 9 months post partum and was told a full recovery might take months or years.

Anyone dealt with this? I'm having a hard time keeping the weight off because I have to take a few rest days afterwards. My diet is so and so, but since I'm bfing, I feel like I eat a ton.
I haven't dealt with this personally, but I can point you in the direction of some help. Call Salt Lake City prenatal massage (they are *amazing*). Doesn't matter if you are local because I am sure they would do a phone consult. Their fitness lady, Jen, specializes in this, and I bet she could give you exercises that would help. Sorry I am not more help, but that is someone you could contact who could! They also have a webpage. GL. Hopefully some mamas with more experience will chime in.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
B&BsMom
Registered Users

Re: Exercise and diastasis recti?

I'm sorry you are going through this. Have you been to the doctor and had it confirmed that the diastasis recti causing the issues? I only ask because I also had it and quite bad (I attribute it to having 2 kids within 17 months and getting a huge belly both times!), but am a marathon runner. I've never had issues with my hips. Have you tried doing hip strengthening exercises? Remember to avoid crunches-- they make it worse!
B&BsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Exercise and diastasis recti?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&BsMom View Post
I'm sorry you are going through this. Have you been to the doctor and had it confirmed that the diastasis recti causing the issues? I only ask because I also had it and quite bad (I attribute it to having 2 kids within 17 months and getting a huge belly both times!), but am a marathon runner. I've never had issues with my hips. Have you tried doing hip strengthening exercises? Remember to avoid crunches-- they make it worse!
Yes, the doctor confirmed it and said that the weak muscles make my lower abdomen area hurt. Sometimes I feel like its late pregnancy and my insides will fall out! I am doing core work to help. So far compression shorts do help a bit.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote