Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BF & FF? anyone do both

I EBF right now, and I EBF'd ODD, So I was wondering if I can do both? I don't have a pump and thought it would be nice for my DH and DD to be able to feed the baby once in awhile? can I do this? how do I do it? just do one feeding every once in awhile?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

Re: BF & FF? anyone do both

theres nothing wrong with a bottle feeding once in a while, but why give formula if you don't have to? you don't need a pump if you learn how to hand express. i got quite good at it this last time and could express a few ounces in like 10-15 minutes. go to kellymom.com and look up hand expressing
Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
GirlHouse
Registered Users

Yes, you can do both. However, because your body produces milk by supply and demand....you may find that replacing a feeding with a bottle will cause your supply to dip down.
Like the above reply stated--you can hand express if you do not have a pump. This way you won't have to worry about any supply issues.
GirlHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
zoeh2003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4mo ds gets a bottle once a month when we have date night. I have had no supply issues. He will nurse before I leave take 4 ounces then nurse an hour later he is such a pig
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
ekmaurer3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There really is not need to feed formula if you dont have supply issues. If you want someone else to feed your child then you could try hand expressing a bottle.
Once you start replacing feedings with formula on a regular basis like once or twice a day, you are telling your body to produce less. Its a very slippery slope that many women find causes them to loose their supply slowly if they do that. Other women produce enough milk to supplement a little everyday.
I would just give your child breastmilk as long as you can.
ekmaurer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama
Registered
seller

Location: Adios Hawaii- Hello Sunny San Diego Only A Few Months To Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom05 View Post
t you don't need a pump if you learn how to hand express. i got quite good at it this last time and could express a few ounces in like 10-15 minutes. go to kellymom.com and look up hand expressing
Iditto. I can't pump. Didn't get anything with ds1 don't get anything with ds2. So, i hand pump. I can express 4-6 oz, where with a pum[ i can only get about 2.
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
jtsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe you need to hear the other side so here is my two cents. I give Luke a 4 oz formula bottle at 9am and at 11pm he has a nursed feeding at 12pm, 3pm, 6pm and 5am. it has pretty much been like that since he was 5 weeks. If i am working that day, ( i am now a substitute teacher,) he gets a bottle of breastmilk at 12pm and maybe 3pm that i have pumped previously.

This is what works for US, for my family.
My DH works late so when he gets home at 11 he like to gives the baby the bottle so i can get some sleep. The formula is not a lack of supply thing and sometimes at night i will pump if need but You need to do what works for you. I know many people have there own opinion and have done tons of research and blah bah blah but in the end we really do all turn out okay.

So here is my encouragement, go ahead if you need to give him a little bit of formula.

BTW- We have always used the soy formula just cause my 1st had a problem with the milk protein. ANd we buy target brand
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
jtsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh and it is easy to manually pump it just takes longer. that is what i usually do at night. just squeeze it into the bottle.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas, my friend let me borrow her pump in style and it works great! I just pump when I am on the computer one at a time. and freeze it and when I need it I mix it with organic formula 2 oz BM to 1 oz formula that seems to be all she needs. I only mix it so she if I ever need to just use formula she is use to the taste. DD and DH like to feed her and I enjoy giving her a bottle too, I can watch her look around and its cute!!

I tried to hand pump and read about it on the web page recomended but I just can't do it. my mom said she could never hand pump either (she nursed 4 babies for 2-3 years each)

Last edited by Nikki*lala; 09-17-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Nikki*lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

I work full time now, and just can't pump.... not only do i get nothing out of it, but i'm a teacher, and there is not enough time to pee, nevermind pump, most days....

I BF at 6 am, DD gets a bottle at 10am, another at 2pm, and I BF at 5pm & 8pm .... if she wakes in the night, I BF... this is what works for us, and there's nothing wrong with doing what works for you and your family...

if your baby will take formula, it doesn't hurt to occasionally have other family members give a bottle, just mix up the time of day and frequency so your body doesn't drop that feeding for you!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote