Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
boon-booni
Registered Users

Re: Possibly moving to Richmond, VA with questions

Hello! We moved and purchased a home in Lakeside after leaving the Fan area. The Fan was beautiful, walking distance to everything, however, very expensive housing and possible you might be living next to very loud college students. Lakeside is close to downtown, (5miles) affordable housing, school systems are okay and the neighborhoods are good. It is also close to a great park, Bryan Park to walk the dogs or kids. I'm pretty happy here.

Advertisement

boon-booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
WhaaaaCloth?
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow someone said avoid Chester....really...?? LMAO Chester is a little town thats actually expanding a lot. It's not ghetto by any means and theres hardly any crime. The price is affordable and they have beautiful houses depending where in Chester you are at. Schools are very close by and you said you had 3 kids. It's very good to have things around. Grocery shops, shopping, anything...you name it, it's there.
I actually live in Midlothian and just moved back from GA bc I hate GA and I got out of the army....lol.
I absolutely HATE the city. To much traffic, people are so rude, and a lot of them don't know how to drive....lol. Again depending on where in the city you are, but like with every city it's really not that different. Maymont Park is sooo awesome though. Only good thing about the city...lol
Westend is very pricey and traffic depending is just like driving in the city. It's very uppy if you know what I mean. It's all about money in the West End.
My hubby has a job in Amelia and that area is very nice too. It's not to suburbanized and it's more county. People are really friendly out there. It is getting developed slowly though.

Hmm if you have any other questions I am more then happy to help out.

Last edited by WhaaaaCloth?; 11-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
WhaaaaCloth? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I live in the older west end, before the real pricey areas and love it. HENRICO county has a great school system. I have been here 3 years from FL.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
falioley
Registered Users

We just bought a house in Bon Air and we love the area! So fun. It's in Chesterfield county but still somewhat close to the West End and also Midlothian, Chesterfield proper, and downtown Richmond.
falioley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
dyamonds10
Registered Users
seller

I grew up in Henrico County (varina). Outskirts of the city.
dyamonds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #16
curlyj74
Registered Users

I'm in Chesterfield county. I didn't know there were so many RVA moms here
curlyj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
marykatmp
Registered Users
seller

We moved from Richmond 4 years ago, and are moving back to the area within the next year. We lived in Ginter Park which is city, and Midlothian, and the West End. Schools are not really the best in the city. You are going to get more house for the money in the suburbs of Chesterfield County and Hanover County. All areas are easy to commute to the city for work or an evening out. The city is awesome, but you may be looking at private schools. Linwood Holton where my kids will go, we are probably moving back to the Ginter Park area, is the only city school I would even consider. I have lots of friends in that neighborhood who adore the school.

As a whole, Richmond is going to probably be a bit higher cost of living than NC if you were in a city area, if you are in a rural area it is probably going to be a sizable jump. However, the lifestyle is incredible, and you are within two hours to DC and the beach, and you have Williamsburg just an hour away, plus there are tons of free activities in the area and a decent Childrens Museum. I know someone already suggested RichmondMommies. I would really get on there and you will get some other opinions.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
hammergirl5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi all! I too am a RVA mom!

Can't believe someone said to avoid Powhatan! I grew up in Midlothian and moved west to Powhatan ... it has grown and changed so much out here and I love it. The schools are much better than they used to be as well out here! I actually work in the schools out here ... PMAN if you'd like to chat about Powhatan!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
jkbcitro
Registered Users
seller

Way late on this post, but I am out in Powhatan as well. We use to live in Chesterfield. Love love love it out here. 10 minutes to 288 and that will take you anywhere within 30 minutes.

Love the schools, love the people, LOVE the quiet.
jkbcitro is offline   Reply With Quote