Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

worth the read

i dont have any questions or comments, just article appreciation and wanted to share!

"The Most Scientific Birth is Often the Least Technological Birth"

"If you look at scientific literature, you find over and over again that many interventions increase risk to mother and child instead of decreasing it."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-birth/254420/

Advertisement

Last edited by nettepoet; 04-04-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fix link
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Fabulous!
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: worth the read

Good article. It is still strange to me how different and more complicated US births are compared to other countries. Giving birth should be empowering not something to be feared.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love this article! The comment section with lots of pot stiring by Dr. Amy of the SOB is also a hoot.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

The comments are crazy!

I didn't like the interventions "required" by the hospital where I delivered #1 and #2. When I got pregnant with #3 I went back to the same midwife clinic and at my first visit they wanted me to sign a form consenting to CFM, pitocin after delivery and an IV. I was furious! I had a home birth instead.

While I recognize the blessings of modern medicine, and can see how hospital birth *could* be safer, but when women are forced to have interventions they don't want or need, they go elsewhere to deliver their babies.

This time around I'm delivering at a birth center and I do find some peace in knowing that my midwife has access to oxygen, pitocin, etc for emergencies. I trust her because I know those things won't be forced on me unless they are needed.

That Dr. Amy sounds crazy. She claims to have witnessed hundreds of "natural births." But I like to see what her definition of "natural" is. My guess is she's never seen a vaginal birth where the woman had no interventions at all.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The comments are crazy!

I didn't like the interventions "required" by the hospital where I delivered #1 and #2. When I got pregnant with #3 I went back to the same midwife clinic and at my first visit they wanted me to sign a form consenting to CFM, pitocin after delivery and an IV. I was furious! I had a home birth instead.

While I recognize the blessings of modern medicine, and can see how hospital birth *could* be safer, but when women are forced to have interventions they don't want or need, they go elsewhere to deliver their babies.

This time around I'm delivering at a birth center and I do find some peace in knowing that my midwife has access to oxygen, pitocin, etc for emergencies. I trust her because I know those things won't be forced on me unless they are needed.

That Dr. Amy sounds crazy. She claims to have witnessed hundreds of "natural births." But I like to see what her definition of "natural" is. My guess is she's never seen a vaginal birth where the woman had no interventions at all.
That woman is nuts! I just don't understand how she has so much time to sit around and make ugly or negative comments about EVERY article or study that supports NORMAL birth..seems like such a sad existence.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

i didnt even read the comments. im preggo and planning natural birth #3 so i try to avoid naysayers bc i need my headspace to be clear!

i heart this article, though. i feel like printing it and posting it around babies r us or something.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
That woman is nuts! I just don't understand how she has so much time to sit around and make ugly or negative comments about EVERY article or study that supports NORMAL birth..seems like such a sad existence.
For a long time I was fairly tolerant of her. I do think that's benificial to be able to research both sides of homebirth and she does do a pretty good job with her own research. But when I found out she was searching for homebirth loss mom's stories on different forums and using them with out permission I was completly turned off. Using other people's losses with out thier permission is so vile!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
She hasn't practiced for decades, and only practiced a few years in the early 90s. She is anti homebirth and anti natural birth
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote