Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cleaning Schedule

Is there an app or something that breaks down house cleaning into zones?

My old system is not going to work here.

Do you follow a schedule or system?

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cleaning Schedule

You literally read my mind. Ive been spinning my wheels in a constantly struggle to keep the new place tidy. My old routine just isnt working in the new set up.

Im interested to see what people say!
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
You literally read my mind. Ive been spinning my wheels in a constantly struggle to keep the new place tidy. My old routine just isnt working in the new set up.

Im interested to see what people say!
I keep trying to do things the same way and it just won't work because of how this house is configured.

You can literally see the entire length of my house if you look through the glass at my front door. So no hiding any messes here.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I keep trying to do things the same way and it just won't work because of how this house is configured.

You can literally see the entire length of my house if you look through the glass at my front door. So no hiding any messes here.
Thats funny because its the opposite here. Before I had a site line from the kitchen into the living room and laundry area, not necessarily open but we had a pass through window. So I could meal prep, clean, do laundry, etc while the boys played and I could watch them the whole time and they could, in turn, see me and not panic. Here the dining, laundry, and kitchen are cut off from the living area so I do all that stuff either while they eat or are sleeping.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I had a schedule once, but I based it on what other activities were going on. It went something like this...

Monday -- bathrooms
Tuesday -- vacuum entire house
Wednesday -- laundry
Thursday -- baking and clutter
Friday -- vacuum main areas and mop

Other things got done here and there, and kitchen was done everyday, of course. If I felt the kids were leaving too much clutter around, we'd take the time to do a quick pick-up of toys and whatnot. Kids cleaned their rooms three times a week. Saturdays were left open for family stuff, though we would sometimes have to do some cleaning then. Tried to not do anything on Sundays.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a lot of people like Fly Lady for zones.

I used Managers of Their Chores by the Maxwells to get our routine going about a year ago and it's been great. The book suggests dozens of things you might want to clean, then guides you to make a schedule of how often each thing should be done and break that down by who can do the job and when. It is actually a really simple system, but it was what I needed to get some things done regularly.

We already had "quick clean" areas for each child downstairs--a couple minutes and all the clutter is picked up. We do that whenever it's needed, sometimes multiple times a day sometimes a couple times in a week. Then we have "after lunch" and "after dinner jobs." Each child has an assigned task which they stick with for a couple years--we shift when someone turns 10. Jobs are laundry, dishwasher dishes, pots and pans, sweeping eating area, wiping table, wiping chairs. So that keeps the daily stuff running.

Then what we added with the Maxwell ideas last year ended up being just "Saturday jobs." I never got around to implementing the things that are only occasional like twice a year etc, but the Saturday stuff helps immensely. The list of jobs looked huge at first. I broke it down into youngest-possible-child-who-could-do-that then divided them that way. I let the DC claim what they wanted when possible. The first week took us ALL morning, but it got quicker right away and now they can get done before pancakes are cooked if they want to.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
abh5e8
Registered Users

I'm going to check out the Maxwell's book. I was just telling with my kids today about coming up with a better schedule. Right now they help, but I just assign courses as I see them. I think s schedule might help us get through it faster.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #8
abh5e8
Registered Users

I all really like Rachel Jones. (although I'm more of a minimalism wannabe. Lol.)

https://nourishingminimalism.com/jum...-decluttering/

Last edited by abh5e8; 06-17-2018 at 06:30 AM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #9
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When we first got here everyone seemed to forget what their usual chores were. That quickly had to change and there is a list on the fridge as a reminder now.

I do some flylady type stuff. I even have a pair of dedicated home sneakers but I don't remember liking the system. I might look at it again.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #10
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 is the only one old enough for real chores, although my 2yo tries lol. DS1 leaves for the summer so I have his chores to do too. Which is why the sink is currently full of "non dishwasher dishes" because washing those is one of his chores because I HATE doing dishes.

I used to have a schedule (two houses ago) where each day had a different chore/room and I think I need to get back into that because it makes it seem a lot less overwhelming. Instead of waking up thinking "ugh everything needs to be cleaned" I can just focus on one room/thing and feel accomplished.