Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
bananasfoster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Birth Bag Bonuses

For those of you who have birthed out of home, what were the things that you really liked having for birth that you packed or wish you had packed? I mean, aside from basic toiletries, clothes, device chargers. I will have to stay in the hossy for 24 hours this time, last time I went home from the birth center less than 12 hours after the baby was born. I want to be prepared, but lugging my whole house there isn't an option.

Advertisement

Chiropractor by day, Wife ,and Mommy to to DD (10/10) and DS 03/15
bananasfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
MommaBear216
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Bag Bonuses

I was in the hospital 31 hrs giving birth to my son. I found that cards was a lifesaver against boredom. My DH and my SIL broke that deck in well. Also I liked having my nursing cover for when all the visitors came pouring in.
MommaBear216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
bananasfoster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of the nursing cover! I think DH will probably entertain himself with his iPad, but the deck of cards is a good backup.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in the hospital for DDs birth. I had her at 10:40pm so most of them time after that we were sleeping, lol. The next morning/day was spent making sure I took a shower and that we got check on so we could leave. lol. We did have some visitors so that took up time. We left around 6 or 7pm. I brought stuff like cards and puzzle books but never got them out. I am sure this time I will bring my computer in case I have some down time, but I am hoping I wont really have any because I will want to leave as soon as we can. I know both in and out of the hospital I loved having my slippers and a light weight robe. I will have to make a list or something in a couple weeks to make sure I have or remember the basics/essentials. lol
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
bananasfoster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Leah- here's hoping we're all in and out fast! Labor with DD was about 3 hours, I'm hoping for that again. My hospital is about 45 min away, so I'm going to be trying to balance doing early labor at home with getting there in time to save hubby from having to deliver on the side of the road.
I am making my list right now (yes, I am a little OC when it comes to list-making) and this Christmas I made sure to ask for a nice robe and some of those fuzzy socks with the rubber grippies on the bottom with this in mind. I will make sure they are in the bag!

Old 01-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Breastfeeding pillow, hospital pillows suck.
Night light, one of the little LED plug-ins. My only choices were ALL THE LIGHTS, or none.
Baby nail clippers, DD1 was born after her due date with talons!
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's my plan too. I really want to labor at home as long as I can and hope that we make the 6 minute drive to the hospital with little time to spare. lol!!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #8
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesslouise View Post

Yes! I even asked the nurses and they didn't have clippers, but all my babies have had long nails and scratched their faces. I don't know how bad it is to admit that with my last guy I ended up biting/peeling his nails after he Edward Scissorhanded his own face one too many times before we even left the hospital.

Last edited by Belle; 01-29-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
bananasfoster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesslouise View Post
Breastfeeding pillow, hospital pillows suck.
Night light, one of the little LED plug-ins. My only choices were ALL THE LIGHTS, or none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Yes! I even asked the nurses and they didn't have clippers, but all my babies have had long nails and scratched their faces. I don't know how bad it is to admit that with my last guy I ended up biting/peeling his nails after he Edward Scissorhanded his own face one too many times before we even left the hospital.
Hmmm, maybe some LED candles? They could serve double duty for dim light during labor and a nightlight after?
DD was born with pointed nails too, and I was so scared to clip them at first that she scratched her face a couple times before I got brave. Why are babies born with claws??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaleah View Post
That's my plan too. I really want to labor at home as long as I can and hope that we make the 6 minute drive to the hospital with little time to spare. lol!!
LoL Too bad there isn't some sort of 1 hour warning built in, like a turkey timer or a color change indicator. Whoops, my belly button went from blue to red, time to go!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananasfoster View Post
Hmmm, maybe some LED candles? They could serve double duty for dim light during labor and a nightlight after?
DD was born with pointed nails too, and I was so scared to clip them at first that she scratched her face a couple times before I got brave. Why are babies born with claws??

LoL Too bad there isn't some sort of 1 hour warning built in, like a turkey timer or a color change indicator. Whoops, my belly button went from blue to red, time to go!
That would be awesome! Haha!

As for nails. When I was pregnant with my first, my mom told me that she would just bite our nails when we were first born and very little. It might seem weird, but I went ahead and did that rather than use the clippers. I did attempt the clippers when they were tiny but was too nervous I would cut them or something. Their nails are so frail anyway...I bit a tiny on the side and then they just ripped off in a easy, safe way. Not sure if any of you have tried that or been told. It was just something my mom told me and that someone told her to do when she had us.