Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feta Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Lol gross. I could never crave raw oysters. But I do recall wanting alcohol more while pregnant than ever. We barely ever drink, but something about knowing you aren't supposed to just makes you want it!
YES! After having my last baby I rarely drank but now Im pregnant again and I would kill someone for a margarita.

Advertisement

kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
akclimbergirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I looked on that CDC website I listed - there hasn't been listeria from lunch meat since 2006. In fact, the most recent sources were lettuce, sour cream, milkshake, some cheeses, caramel apple, peaches, raw milk, and sprouts. Aside from certain cheeses and raw milk, I've never heard anyone say not to eat that other stuff while pregnant. Heck, my baby NEEDED milkshakes to survive in my womb. Ask him.

People in books are using one listeria case from years ago to recommend not eating certain foods. Sure, I don't want to take unnecessary risks while pregnant, but I still got in my car every day, which has to be at least as dangerous. I comfort myself by knowing that if I DO get listeria it isn't automatic loss of baby. It can be treated successfully, and listeria can come from anywhere that proper food handling is neglected, so just try to be reasonable and if you do get sick, get it checked out early, especially if you suspect food poisoning.
Yes! I'm on a pregnancy forum where people frequently talk about their concern about listeria. Based on the CDC website, a little over 200 pregnant women per year get sick from it. That's so tiny as to be almost nonexistent. It's less than 1/10 of 1 percent. And like you said, many of the outbreaks are from "safe" food.

Personally, I believe that the nutrients in some "banned" foods (chiefly, raw milk and sprouts, both of which I've had while pregnant) outweigh the supposed risk.
akclimbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
Lunabebe
Registered Users

Omg, I've been CRAVING falafel gyro with LOTS of feta! So, just to be clear, if the feta is pasteurized, it's safe?
Lunabebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
lemon.extract
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Totally Safe.
lemon.extract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

My midwife advised me to just warm up lunch meat prior to eating it so I'm assuming that if it was on a toasted sub it would probably be fine. But, like someone mentioned before, I really don't think it's very often that people contract Listeria from lunch meat or cheese. I make sure that my cheeses are pasteurized and don't eat lunch meat every single day, but I highly doubt that in small quantities any of these could really harm me or my baby. Just my humble opinion
amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote