Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Prodromal Labor

Hi Ladies... I'm looking for some stories and some commiseration!

On November 1st, when I was 31.5 weeks pregnant, I started contracting regularly. It was 6pm when it started, and contractions came anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes apart for two hours. And they HURT. Nothing slowed them down. Finally, after the two hours, they started to slow down to closer to 10 minutes apart, and then 15, and finally stopped altogether at 10pm.

I went in to the doctor the next day (who yelled at me for not going to L&D the night before), and he checked my cervix which had not changed... thank goodness. They sent me on my way and told me to come back in if I have more than 6 contractions in an hour.

Well, the same thing happened that night, and every single night since. Painful contractions, spaced fairly close together, for about 2-3 hours starting around 6pm. By 10pm, they are gone.

My doctor says that he thinks it is prodromal labor (this is my fourth baby), and basically... there is nothing we can do about it. He said they can give me medicine to take which may or may not work, and which has a bunch of side effects. I am not big on medicine during pregnancy, and if there is nothing we can really do about it, would prefer not to take it. If my cervix starts to change, maybe I will reconsider.

I have an ultrasound tomorrow for growth and to ensure baby is head down... I'm kind of scared now that he isn't and that is why I'm dealing with this. They will also check my cervix again.

Will you please share your stories? I can barely stand the thought of 7 or 8 more weeks of this.

Also... if you had prodromal labor this early in pregnancy, when did your cervix start to change?

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prodromal Labor

I haven't experienced this myself, but my friend just got done dealing with this (had her baby).

She started her contractions a little over 36 weeks I think. They would go on just about all day, than quit at night, except when she used the bathroom. She had them for about two and a half weeks, mostly stayed at 2cm dilated, but the last four days/week, got to about 3 1/2-4cm. She had her baby one day shy of 39 weeks.

Sorry you're having them--I know my friend got a bit tired of them!
Follower of Jesus Christ, blessed and cherished wife to the most wonderful man, and happy, stay-at-home mama to our precious Christmas gifts L (2012) and J (2014) and P (2017) our springtime blessing!
Blessedmama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just went through this! Baby #4 (#5 after a miscarriage) is now 2 months old, but I kept having what I THOUGHT was actual labor around the same time as you while pregnant. I thought I would be pregnant forever, and here we are!

At the time I kept getting my hopes up because my second was 3 weeks early. They've all been born before their due date... the first a week early, the second three weeks early, the third a few days early.

Anyhoo... I would have timeable contractions that were intense for 2-3 hours at a time, sometimes going on into the morning, then they would just die out. So frustrating! I stayed at 3cm between weeks 37 and 39. My midwife kept promising to strip my membranes to speed things along, but then kept saying we would just leave it alone. Arrrgh!

In the end I was glad it worked out the way I did. I gave birth on my due date, September 8th, and my little guy was only a bit over 6lbs. Imagine if he had been born 3 weeks early? He wasn't in distress, but the cord was wrapped around his neck, so I'm also glad my water didn't break at home. I think I had prodromal labor because he wasn't positioned correctly. I did a LOT of reading up on it while I was experiencing it because I was SO frustrated.

My advice would be to hang in there and not do anything about it, as much as that sucks.

Good luck!

PS - By the way, it was my easiest labor and delivery. When I finally did go into labor, I wasn't sure if it was the Real Thing because of all my other seemingly false starts. I finally went into the hospital around 4:30/5am. I was maybe 4cm when I went in. I walked around the L&D unit for a while then my midwife asked if I wanted to use the labor tub. I wasn't that uncomfortable and thought I would save it for when I needed the pain relief; she checked, though, and said I was 7cm. Sweet! I used the tub for a little while, which was totally awesome, but she said I couldn't give birth in it; I didn't want to be getting out, going back down the hall, with the urge to push, to I asked her to check me at one point... and I was already 9cm! All w/o too much discomfort. Some position changes back in bed, she said I could push anytime, and she broke my water with my first push. Baby was out in a few pushes after 8am.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Hi! I had prodromal. My recommendation: stop getting checked. If they must check you (bc they need to know) ask them to politely not tell you. Women who have given birth before can walk around at multiple centimeters dilated for WEEKS. When I researched prodromal, it's your body and uterus way of prepping for birth. I kept telling myself- I'm getting ripe and ready. If you feel it "hurts" try to find a way to describe your feeling more specifically- (ex: I feel stretching, pulling, or maybe tightening). This helps your brain cope with the sensation. You've given birth before so you know you're gong to be ok hang in there. I hope all this just makes your birth easy and fast. Try to rest as much as possible with three kiddos at home. Rest can help you cope with the discomforts too. Hugs!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for the responses ladies!

I just got back from the OB's office. Thankfully, my cervix is still closed. Makes me feel SO much better to know that.

On another note... baby measured 5 pounds 15 ounces based on the ultrasound today, so, looks like we will be having another 9 pounder. Since all my babies have been big this is no surprise, but it is still shocking to hear! He is measuring almost 3 weeks ahead. I know many will say that ultrasounds can be way off, and I'm sure they can, but they have always been right for me... and this is in line with my others. That gives me some comfort too, knowing he is big for his age if I do go early...

6pm is closing in... fingers crossed I will get a break tonight.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
Thanks so much for the responses ladies!

I just got back from the OB's office. Thankfully, my cervix is still closed. Makes me feel SO much better to know that.

On another note... baby measured 5 pounds 15 ounces based on the ultrasound today, so, looks like we will be having another 9 pounder. Since all my babies have been big this is no surprise, but it is still shocking to hear! He is measuring almost 3 weeks ahead. I know many will say that ultrasounds can be way off, and I'm sure they can, but they have always been right for me... and this is in line with my others. That gives me some comfort too, knowing he is big for his age if I do go early...

6pm is closing in... fingers crossed I will get a break tonight.
I was told my baby would be at least 8lbs at the rate he was growing based on a couple ultrasounds I had... and he was just over 6lbs. I was so worried about how big be would be and it was a non-issue.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitacat View Post
I was told my baby would be at least 8lbs at the rate he was growing based on a couple ultrasounds I had... and he was just over 6lbs. I was so worried about how big be would be and it was a non-issue.
I have heard a lot of stories like that. But, considering that my smallest baby has been 8 pounds 10 ounces delivered at 39 weeks, it's probably right... based on history at least.

Thanks again for all your input . I got pregnant with this baby right after a miscarriage too and have wondered if that has had anything to do with what I have been going through. Just a guess of course.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
nanamamma
Registered Users

I had prodromal labor too! I was about 2 cm dilated for the last four weeks of my pregnancy, and then I was at 5cm for a week before he actually came. For me, it was because he had his hands up by his head so it was keeping the contractions from being productive. The contractions picked up when he moved his hands and he "dropped".
nanamamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
GloryBirth
Registered Users

Many consider this a blessing. Yeah, you're in pain a lot longer than a normal birth but all that prep work makes for a much easier 'day of'. You're spreading out all of your pain instead of getting hit with a train all at once with it. I know it doesn't feel like a blessing right now though. I'm sorry you have to go through this. =(
Relaxing can help prodromal labor as some of this can be stress induced. Try meditating, napping, getting massaged, showering or something as simple as coloring. Hope this helps!
GloryBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
EngineerCD
Registered Users

I had this with my first for 8 weeks before my due date and he still was two weeks late. I had contractions every three minutes for eight hours every afternoon/evening.
EngineerCD is offline   Reply With Quote