Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Re: Doula?

We have private insurance so I'm sure the epidural and any other interventions would definitely add to the cost. The doula I'm interviewing next week is only $500, she's the lowest price I've seen and I actually reached out to her because some people in a FB group I'm in recommended her. I definitely think it would be worth the investment. I wish they could just add it on my hospital bill and then DH would never know the difference LOL

Advertisement

amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

With the epidural I mentioned earlier it was billed separately from my hospital bill anyway...maybe it would help him for you to mention the anesthesiologist bill is separate from the hospital bill? It was crazy, we had a huge hospital bill and then other bills started showing up too, we had no idea it would be like that. Maybe your hospital doesn't do things that way, but you never know (until you think you've paid everything and another bill shows up!). Just do a little cost comparison for him, doula vs. epidural, maybe it will sway him
Disclaimer: even with a doula, things won't always go the way you hope/plan. But with a typical pregnancy/delivery, having the support of a doula/knowledgeable midwife can help you make it through without unnecessary and expensive interventions.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

That's good to know, I guess I assumed since my midwives are part of the hospital and I'd assume the anesthesiologists are too that everything would come all together. Fortunately, I have a family friend who is actually the birth planner at the hospital where I'm planning to deliver so I'm hoping she might know some of this stuff. On the bright side, I'm only 17 weeks now so I have a while to get him to warm to the idea
Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Talking to your friend is a good idea, I would have loved to know what to expect with billing ahead of time. All the separate bills came as a huge shock because we weren't expecting that at all.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely talk to your friend. With my first they had to put me on oxygen and I was literally on it for maybe 15 minutes and we got a $700 bill for it months later! Crazy.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #16
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

We got a bill from the hospital, from my ob, the anesthesiologist, the pediatrician, and probably someone else I'm forgetting. Even though they are all through the hospital, you pay each Dr separately as well as the hospital. Oh and my ob did the circumcision, so we got a bill from her for me and a bill from her for babe.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #17
Lindobebe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow that crazy with my scound I needed oxygen but my Mom had it on hand and it did not cost me a dime. Hospitals charge so much Its crazy
Old 07-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #18
nanamamma
Registered Users

I had a doula for my son's birth in November last year, and she was worth every penny. The Doula is not only there to support the birthing mother, but she is also there to support your husband or partner. My labor was over four days (stalled labor at 7cm), and we could not have made it without our doula. Since she was there it allowed my husband to rest without me laboring on my own. I had fewer interventions since she was there and she was able to suggest new positions, comfort measures, etc. We paid $750 for her services, and we would do it again in a heartbeat!!!
nanamamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #19
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanamamma View Post
I had a doula for my son's birth in November last year, and she was worth every penny. The Doula is not only there to support the birthing mother, but she is also there to support your husband or partner. My labor was over four days (stalled labor at 7cm), and we could not have made it without our doula. Since she was there it allowed my husband to rest without me laboring on my own. I had fewer interventions since she was there and she was able to suggest new positions, comfort measures, etc. We paid $750 for her services, and we would do it again in a heartbeat!!!
Thank you so much for your input! I think we are going to go ahead and hire one. I met with one last week that I didn't really feel a good connection with, so I have another interview on Friday. Also, my husband just spend $250 on a scope for his rifle so I feel like I have a little more leverage in the finance department now I really think it will be beneficial for both of us to have a doula there because I don't think he's going to handle me being in pain very well.

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Proverbs 31:25
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Crumpkin
Registered Users

I used to be a doula for 5 years, so I'm a bit biased, but truthfully I'd never give birth with out one.

I had a doula for my first two births and it made all of the difference. With my first I was induced at 34 weeks 5 days due to severe preecclampsia and my son was born at a free standing birth center.

Doulas are great for mama's, even if you have an amazing midwife AND a husband/partner. But really I think doulas are the best for dads. They help you to understand what is normal and what is coming. They can explain things to dads and also give them a break to pee or eat with out feeling guilty about leaving you for a few minutes. They are also great for giving dad back rubs when they are tending to you! Dads love you and because of that they HATE to see you in pain, they are fixers. Doulas help dads to stay calm and present, while tending to you and their own needs. Doulas are really the most amazing in transition....you'll hit a point when you don't think there is any possible way that you'll make it through the next contraction, that is when she'll sit next to you and tell you have great you are doing and how this is normal and you'll work through the contractions together to pass this point and get your little one into your arms! Having someone who knows your wishes and is there to help you through the hard is invaluable.

I'd say to meet with a few doulas and find the best fit for you. One who is nurturing, but can push you through the tough when the time comes and one who honors your family and husband and integrates him into everything. Good luck
Crumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote