Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
k-t-did
Registered Users
seller

Windpro or other fleece pockets? Do they really work?

I've got a fleece pocket on the way, but I'm wondering how on earth they can really contain wetness?

Can someone educate me? Is it like wool, where if it gets too soaked it will go through? Or is it more like PUL where it's truly waterproof?

How can fleece liners wick moisture to the inner, but a fleece outer keep it all in?

It's a mystery to me!

Advertisement

k-t-did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Windpro or other fleece pockets? Do they really work?

I asked the same questions before i tried them. The outer fleece isn't the same kind as the innner. It's a heavier weight or waterproofed or something. They aren't like PUL where they are really waterproof and I got pressure-wicking with mine if I kept my DS in them even close to as long as I would a PUL dipe. I liked how soft and cozy they were, but DH didn't like the more frequent changing. Now it could've just been my dipes, as I only had experience with 2 kinds. I found that using hemp inserts with mine helped a bit with the wicking.

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
jecmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The outer layer is usually a heavier weight fleece, like 200wt or even 300wt. The heavier it is, the more water resistant it is, but less breatheable. The inner layer is usually microfleece or suedecloth. Fleece covers are my favorite. I think they're a happy medium of cost and ease of use/care between PUL and wool. As for pockets, I have some that are homemade and they work fine. You will need to be conscious of wetness so you don't get leakage, but you don't want your babe to be that wet, anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have experience with Malden Mills Windpro. I made some FOE covers and fleece pockets with heavyweight, and bought an AIO with midweight. They all work great, except the FOE sometimes wicks. I love how soft they are!

Zany Zebra Designs ~ Diapers as beautifully unique as your child.

~ It's happy, it's crazy, it's my life ~ My Happy Crazy Life
~Amy Sue, Mama to &
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
cloth-centric
Registered Users

I was skeptical at first too.
but they really work. I've only once had some pressure leaks, but dd's diaper was super wet, and we were on a road trip!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

They are all I use in the summer for my supersoaker...They work really really well and keep my baby very cool in the hot weather! We also use fleece covers over otehr dipes too and they work well. You can get compression wicking but that is rare even for us unless he was not changed when he should have been.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
targhee
Registered Users

It doesn't work like wool. Wool absorbs liquid and holds it in (and the lanolin helps neutralize urine, minimizing the smell). Fleece does not hold liquid at all (that's why it dries so fast!). What it does do is keep the moisture from passively moving across it (does NOT wick). The moisture that is propelled (through a stream of urine) passes through it, but then can't pass back unless it is forced through (compression leak).

Anyway, DS slept in a lt wght WindPro/microfleece pocket diaper last night - not a drop on his PJs (and the insert was soaked). I love this stuff!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Irish Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Who makes fleece pockets? I've gotten away from pockets b/c I'm just NOT into PUL. But I think I'd love fleece!

Irish Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a Windpro pocket that dd has been wearing overnight for almost the past two years. I love how easy it is to care for, and I can put it in the dryer. The only downside is that after two years of putting it in the dryer 1-3 times a week, the elastic is starting to stretch out while the elastic on my PUL pockets that are older is fine.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 7 Malden Mills - windpro fleece pockets from SNAP-EZ and 2 trainers on the way. I can't say enough about how much we love them. I wish I had more. Our son wears them for every nap and at night. They are great in the summer too, but less hot than PUL. You're going to love yours!