View Poll Results: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people don't?
Yes, primarily because of herd immunity. 118 27.83%
Yes, but not primarily because of herd immunity. 24 5.66%
No, but I wish they would. 40 9.43%
No, vaccines are a personal choice. 134 31.60%
I do not vaccinate my children. 85 20.05%
I like polls and want to see the results without answering. 23 5.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #271
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you vaccinate your kids, does it bother you when other people dont?

Vaccines are a personal choice. What irks me is parents who vaccinate just because the think they have too,who do no research,who whine about the unvaxed kid getting their vaxed kid sick,etc.
We selectively vax but do most regular vaccines.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #272
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

It does not bother me if they can explain their choice. Not that they have to explain it to me but that they have a reason other than its just a hassle so they don't.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #273
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We vax and I don't have a problem directly with people who don't vax, it just worries me if more and more people don't vax then ailments we thought were gone will come back and be able to gain a foothold... I remember watching a scientific documentary on television a while ago and they had found strains of the plague in either Oregon or Washington... freaks me out big time! Especially if there were any natural disasters and everyday antibiotics weren't available... it seems like things would get bad quick.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #274
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
I don't mind most vaccines. But, I wouldn't want my infant around anybody who hasn't been vaccinated for whooping cough. It seems like more and more newborns are getting whooping cough. Admittedly, most of those are unvaccinated adults, not kids. But, still.

My friend's grandson was born three weeks ago with a LOT of problems. They no sooner got him home, and he was back in the hospital with whooping cough.

I could see it coming though. I didn't say anything, but in every picture of him, he was being held and kissed by a different person. In just a few days, I saw about 50 pictures of him being held by someone else. Kids were kissing him, women, men... I was so tempted to say "Put that child in a carrier and tell people hands off".
I was SO glad DS had natural immunity to it upon birth from me having it during pregnancy, since I continued to have it afterward as well (I forget what exactly they did to check, blood work for antibodies I think? Fuzzy mama brain, sorry). It was horrendous for me as an adult. I ended up with 2 torn muscles and 2 broken ribs from the cough before it was over. He also had cpox immunity from my shingles outbreaks as well. I was told it can fade (the immunity), and to have him checked periodically. I believe that's what the boosters are for? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #275
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
I think saying the Catholic Church "Approves" of vaccines using aborted fetal cell lines is a bit strong. They absolutely do not approve of this! They consider vaccines that use aborted fetal cell lines as abhorrent, controversial at best, and state to avoid them if they do not have serious consequences for not receiving the vaccine, like chicken pox.

However, since it is such a gray area of controversy with how many lives the German measles vax may save vs. the abortion itself, they leave it up to the members to make that choice for the more dangerous diseases. They are in the process of formalizing a more official stance.

http://www.cogforlife.org/vaticanresponse.htm
(Direct quote from Vatican)
The vaccines that are incriminated today as using human cell lines from aborted foetuses, WI-38 and MRC-5, are the following:7

A) Live vaccines against rubella8 :
- the monovalent vaccines against rubella Meruvax®!! (Merck) (U.S.), Rudivax® (Sanofi Pasteur, Fr.), and Ervevax® (RA 27/3) (GlaxoSmithKline, Belgium);
- the combined vaccine MR against rubella and measles, commercialized with the name of M-R-VAX® (Merck, US) and Rudi-Rouvax® (AVP, France);
- the combined vaccine against rubella and mumps marketed under the name of Biavax®!! (Merck, U.S.),
- the combined vaccine MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) against rubella, mumps and measles, marketed under the name of M-M-R® II (Merck, US), R.O.R.®, Trimovax® (Sanofi Pasteur, Fr.), and Priorix® (GlaxoSmithKline UK).

B) Other vaccines, also prepared using human cell lines from aborted foetuses:
- two vaccines against hepatitis A, one produced by Merck (VAQTA), the other one produced by GlaxoSmithKline (HAVRIX), both of them being prepared using MRC-5;
- one vaccine against chicken pox, Varivax®, produced by Merck using WI-38 and MRC-5;
- one vaccine against poliomyelitis, the inactivated polio virus vaccine Poliovax® (Aventis-Pasteur, Fr.) using MRC-5;
- one vaccine against rabies, Imovax®, produced by Aventis Pasteur, harvested from infected human diploid cells, MRC-5 strain;
- one vaccine against smallpox, AC AM 1000, prepared by Acambis using MRC-5, still on trial.

To summarize, it must be confirmed that:

-there is a grave responsibility to use alternative vaccines and to make a conscientious objection with regard to those which have moral problems;
- as regards the vaccines without an alternative, the need to contest so that others may be prepared must be reaffirmed, as should be the lawfulness of using the former in the meantime insomuch as is necessary in order to avoid a serious risk not only for one's
own children but also, and perhaps more specifically, for the health conditions of the population as a whole - especially for pregnant women;
- the lawfulness of the use of these vaccines should not be misinterpreted as a declaration of the lawfulness of their production, marketing and use, but is to be understood as being a passive material cooperation and, in its mildest and remotest sense, also active, morally justified as an extrema ratio due to the necessity to provide for the good of one's children and of the people who come in contact with the children (pregnant women);
- such cooperation occurs in a context of moral coercion of the conscience of parents, who are forced to choose to act against their conscience or otherwise, to put the health of their children and of the population as a whole at risk. This is an unjust alternative choice, which must be eliminated as soon as possible.
(end quote)

Please feel free to correct me if I've missed some final verdict on the matter!!

We delay and selectively vax.

Was there not a study that stated that breastfeeding inhibits vaxing somewhere? It made me glad that we delayed vaxing until one when I read that study.

Ultimately, the article you quoted is the Catholic Church's current position on vaccination. If you read it closely, it is clear that the Catholic Church believes that development of alternate vaccinations should be encouraged and promoted as much as possible and used whenever they are available. However, in the absence of alternatives, vaccination is an enormous responsibility and the problems with the vaccines should not result in potential harm to children. Here is a portion of that Statement prior to portions you quoted: In any case, there remains a moral duty to continue to fight and to employ every lawful means in order to make life difficult for the pharmaceutical industries which act unscrupulously and unethically. However, the burden of this important battle cannot and must not fall on innocent children and on the health situation of the population - especially with regard to pregnant women.

As a lifelong Catholic with children attending a Catholic school -- Catholicism itself is not a religious exemption. Certainly, the Church provides people with the option of other reasons and personal ethics for not using vaccinations. However, that is separate from a religious exemption. Often in my experience with these posts, individuals state that they'll tell the school that they're Catholic if they are asked about their religious exemption. Well, as far as I know, you aren't required in any state to provide specifics of your faith for a religious exemption. But, technically a Catholic faith would not qualify for that exemption.

There were a couple of threads on the breastfeeding/rotavirus vaccination study a few months ago. Ultimately, the actual study conclusion (not the natural news characterization of it) was that rotavirus vaccine is very important in the population that was studies (third world population) and that breastfeeding in close association with administration of the oral rotavirus vaccine makes the vaccination less effective. They didn't come to any specific recommendations, but indicated that perhaps putting a little time between breastfeeding and this specific oral vaccination would help. No one was suggesting that people stop breastfeeding, only that the vaccine and breastmilk should not be in the stomach at the exact same time.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #276
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No it doesn't bother me.
Honestly, what bothers me is that schools, sports, ect..make me as a parent run around getting paperwork updated, vaxes updated, reports ect..for every new shot. It would be imho much easier to just say we don't vax and leave it at that.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #277
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
No it doesn't bother me.
Honestly, what bothers me is that schools, sports, ect..make me as a parent run around getting paperwork updated, vaxes updated, reports ect..for every new shot. It would be imho much easier to just say we don't vax and leave it at that.

THAT is so true. The first week of school is an insane amount of paperwork proving your child had every shot, and that he or she had chicken pox, or whatever else the government demands of the schools and parents.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #278
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann
No it doesn't bother me.
I have to sign and get a copy of the paperwork for each individual refused vax, and exemption. I would imagine a school would want all of those as well? DS isn't school age, though. So I may be incorrect on what they want. If they do, it seems like similar run around, here at least. Annoying though, for sure haha

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #279
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I was SO glad DS had natural immunity to it upon birth from me having it during pregnancy, since I continued to have it afterward as well (I forget what exactly they did to check, blood work for antibodies I think? Fuzzy mama brain, sorry). It was horrendous for me as an adult. I ended up with 2 torn muscles and 2 broken ribs from the cough before it was over. He also had cpox immunity from my shingles outbreaks as well. I was told it can fade (the immunity), and to have him checked periodically. I believe that's what the boosters are for? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am confused. Did you or he or both of you have your titers drawn?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #280
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
But the thing is that public school is just that. It is meant to be available to everyone. And, vaccination is considered to be a public health issue. Sure, you have the right not to vaccinate. However, given that it is considered on the national and state level to be a public health issue, the person who chooses not to vaccinate should be the one who has to stay out of the public school, not the other way around.
You shouldn't be required to undergo an unnecessary medical procedure in order to be considered "public". What if I said I don't think formula fed kids should attend the same schools as breast fed because their immune systems are weaker and those kids spread the most disease? That's a public health issue too, but I bet you would argue against that suggestion.

Vaccination, or lack thereof, is fundamentally a liberty as opposed to a right. It is scary to think we have to be granted the "right" to be vax free.

One day we will all be eating antibiotics for breakfast, like cows...

Last edited by Mom2jandb; 06-25-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote