Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Valentine's Day vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I also need to say that I agree with the aspect that it doesn't HAVE TO be done - that it is commercialized and over pushed. I also view it as an elective holiday. You do it if you want. You don't have to. It is only for those who want to be romantic.

My husband doesn't feel bad if he doesn't do anything. I never expect him to do anything. If he did do something, I'd probably faint in surprise. My dad and mom never did anything. I did have a boyfriend once bring me a big bunch of flowers and it felt good. It is an elective holiday.

The MORE reason, in my opinion, to find being instructed to give out cards absurd. We were not even asked to do it at Christmas. If I was asked to do it for Christmas, I'd not be surprised at all
if you don't want your kids to participate in the celebrating of this holiday just let their teachers know. schools are very used to this and are usually very accommodating

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #42
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The concept of the bags and boxes goes back to the secret admirer thing. The theory was that you wouldn't know who was putting valentines in your box. I remember as a kid that most of us handmade special valentines for the people we were closest to, and the cheapies were for the rest of the class. We never opened them in class so nobody knew if someone else got more/better cards. It was also very rare to get candy. Out of the entire class, maybe 5 people included a couple of Sweethearts or a sucker.

Now its got to be even. Everyone has to give the same cards to everyone. Everyone is expected to bring a treat.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #43
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'mommakaye View Post
I also made heart shaped pancakes
I love being able to just do special things for my family and create traditions. I know it should take a "special" day to do that, but I like it.
It wasn't nice of her to pick on you op. because your not "from around there" proper directions that are easly understood would've helped. She probably went there to avoid herself being put at "blame" for what she wrote, or lack there of.
To be fair, I don't think she tried to blame me or escape blame. I never broached the issue of poor instructions. I thought I'd just let it slide. Her response was more of a "oh, that's why you don't get it" response.

Now, I actually see that she was right. I did not "get" it but not quite in the way she meant. Yes, I get Valentine's day... no I don't get it the way it is done here.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

interesting thread. I am in my 40's and we always did boxes at school and had a huge party on V-day. In hs, you could buy the carnation thing. To me, it is love day and I celebrate it in that spirit. I made some treats for my kids (who are at their dad's tonight but will be here tomorrow). My 2 yr old LOVED helping and he wanted to make cards for everyone, so he did. DH got me a balloon that sings and said 2 yr old thinks it's his. No biggie.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #45
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

sounds like instructions needed to be more specific. really its's businesses making hype on all holidays... Easter, Christmas , Halloween, Valentines day.... st. pattys, & im sure im missing some.....
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post

I was actually wondering if I should keep her out of school on those days.
Oh please don't do that. Almost every holiday has a party at elementary school. We Americans like to make holidays fun & magical for our littles. I always felt so sad for the one child in class that had to go sit in the office for every party we had. It is just games & treats for the kids. Some years we got pizza parties or popcorn parties with movies or ice cream sandwich parties. It is just for fun. Let her experience it with the other children.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #47
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
If you are so appalled by the holiday, why are you participating? Instead of complaining, just abstain. Problem solved.

I don't drink. It doesn't mean I go on the Internet and complain about the amount drinking that's done on st. Patrick's day. Nor do I call insult people who do choose to participate "absurd"
I don't know. I think that cultural practices around holidays are interesting, and they change with the society. It's good that they're talked about.

On the other hand, I do drink and I find some of the practices around St Patrick's day highly offensive. Especially drinks like "Irish Car Bombs" and "Black and Tan". As with Valentines Day, the way they're celebrated now is innocent but they come from things that are problematic (sex and desire for V day, terrorism and state massacre implicated in a day celebrating the patron saint of Ireland)
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #48
EliseNT
Registered Users

I'm 34 and I passed out valentines every year in elementary school. I think it's totally normal.
EliseNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #49
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder when the custom started. My husband is 47 and the concept is foreign to him too.

ETA: My husband is American and lived in many coastal states as a child because his dad was in the navy. So, he "experienced" America with more variety than someone who stayed in just one town their whole lives. He also did not tell me that it is normal for his odler kids to do stuff on V-day, so I assume that he is oblivious at best.

Last edited by vatblack; 02-14-2013 at 03:35 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #50
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
I wonder when the custom started. My husband is 47 and the concept is foreign to him too.

ETA: My husband is American and lived in many coastal states as a child because his dad was in the navy. So, he "experienced" America with more variety than someone who stayed in just one town their whole lives. He also did not tell me that it is normal for his odler kids to do stuff on V-day, so I assume that he is oblivious at best.
My DH is in his 40's & they celebrated in school when he was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote