Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #101
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked
I don't understand why we make valentine's have anything to do with kids. I'm American and I still think it should only be for people in romantic relationships. DH and I don't even celebrate it but I've never understood what this holiday has to do with kids. I think it's any reason to have a party at school...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
An excuse for a party and also Walmart has to fill those seasonal shelves. It's a long time between Christmas and Easter - what else would they put on those shelves to make money??

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #102
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I don't understand why we make valentine's have anything to do with kids. I'm American and I still think it should only be for people in romantic relationships. DH and I don't even celebrate it but I've never understood what this holiday has to do with kids. I think it's any reason to have a party at school...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
We view it as a kids holiday. My dh don't celebrate it as a couple. As for candy and the kids we just exchange it. for ten pieces of candy we give them $
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #103
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Valentine's Day vent

I'm American, and while it doesn't bother me that people celebrate however they celebrate I really don't get it either
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #104
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Finn
I think it's sweet. I like to make a big deal out of holidays. Why not add some magic to their lives especially when they are little?
This. I dont know how other states are, but I can tell you in Florida our kids spend quite a bit of time testing thanks be to this great state who doesnt trust its teachers to ummm TEACH....sooooo, the few holidays they get, I think they should celebrate. If someone doesnt want them having candy, its really not a big deal. Just write a note saying "please do not have her eat her candy in class, send it home in her bag". When I taught, I always sent candy home with kids and we ate the "treat" in class (cupcake or cookie). Valentines cards may seem silly but it is nice to see the kids bonding. By February, the kids have made close friendships and the class has a group dynamic that is neat to see. I think its sweet and I think it teaches the kids that valentines day is about doing nice things for others. Jmo of course. I just hope these holidays that some find so silly and useless are still being celebrated when my son starts school bc, as pp mentioned, I do think these days add a lil magic for most kids.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #105
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wanted to add, OP I do think the women sounded rude from what you said....and I am curious if there is a connection bt those who think it should be adults only and those who DO celebrate vday with their DH's.

Maybe my perspective is different bc I do NOT celebrate with my DH but I did take my kids to a party with our moms group. Lol. So essentially it was a holiday for them. I had dinner at home and it was def not special....we had a quickie and I watched an episode of tv. Pretty normal night around here. He got me a card.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #106
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Honestly in the US for the most part V-Day is celebrated equally.

You want to hear some screwed up V-Day celebration customs is Japan. Valentine's Day in Japan and giving chocolates is the responsibility for the girls. Now here, we give chocolates to everyone in the family including friends and even co-workers because we just love chocolates. But over there, specific term is used for that type of chocolate called 'giri' meaning independent. So employees, close friends and girls/women that want to give their counterpart chocolates will give these specifically stated independent chocolates to males.

Now here's the really screwed up part (more in the F category). Not everyone gets these independent chocolates. So you have boys growing up who some are getting chocolates from girls while others independent chocolates. But SOME don't get ANY...like me Do you know the kind of emotional damage it causes when you can't even get a single piece of chocolate?

So anyway, the guys who gets chocolate celebrate March 14th (White Day) and return white chocolates to the ladies who gave them the love or independent chocolates. It's so commercialized over there like here...I'll admit they do make some fine chocolates over there.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #107
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki
Honestly in the US for the most part V-Day is celebrated equally.

You want to hear some screwed up V-Day celebration customs is Japan. Valentine's Day in Japan and giving chocolates is the responsibility for the girls. Now here, we give chocolates to everyone in the family including friends and even co-workers because we just love chocolates. But over there, specific term is used for that type of chocolate called 'giri' meaning independent. So employees, close friends and girls/women that want to give their counterpart chocolates will give these specifically stated independent chocolates to males.

Now here's the really screwed up part (more in the F category). Not everyone gets these independent chocolates. So you have boys growing up who some are getting chocolates from girls while others independent chocolates. But SOME don't get ANY...like me Do you know the kind of emotional damage it causes when you can't even get a single piece of chocolate?

So anyway, the guys who gets chocolate celebrate March 14th (White Day) and return white chocolates to the ladies who gave them the love or independent chocolates. It's so commercialized over there like here...I'll admit they do make some fine chocolates over there.
Speaking of which, isn't march 14th "steak and Bj day"? Hubby heard that vday was for women and mar 14th was for men. I refused, however, to accept that Valentines day was one-sided. I always spend as much (if not more) time/money spoiling him on Valentines. So, we agreed that march 14th could be pizza (or other treat of my choice) and Bj day.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #108
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I asked my (almost) 4 year old what Velentines Day meant to her. "It's all about big smooshy love, mama! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!"

I mean, really. Nothing subversive about that.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #109
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually don't get my kids anything but I like making things for their school classes and doing special crafts.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #110
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
I asked my (almost) 4 year old what Velentines Day meant to her. "It's all about big smooshy love, mama! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!"

I mean, really. Nothing subversive about that.
Awwwww