Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Honest answers needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacnak View Post
I am def on the same boat, feel u mamma!

I am struggling with my 9yr old and 4 yr old. I also have a 10mo old, all boys! We struggle on a daily basis. My oldest especially, he is super smart, but has no drive, or care about anything these days. It is really rubbing off on my 4 yr old, who is awesome with his school and super ahead for his age. My hubs gets a taste of it on Fridays bc he is off and says I am a saint and doesn't know if he could do it! Yes, today is Friday and it has been rough!!
For any others, how do u get ur gets to want to learn?? I try to incorporate things they are interested in, but we never get to the fun stuff bc they refuse to do the very small amount of stuff that I make mandatory everyday. It's like a page of math, 30 min of reading and a writing assignment for the oldest, math, reading to me and together for the younger, and writing a few words/spelling. I don't think that is asking too much. It should only take maybe 2 hours, but ends up taking until almost 3pm!! And I always tell them and they know as soon as their work is done they get to go outside and play or go to playground, etc. but it's not motivating enough I guess.
Oh well sorry for my rant. And I as well as these other mothers understand ur worries and struggles!

My oldest had a couple years where nothing seemed to motivate her. She got passed it, but it took awhile. But, some suggestions. See if some things could be done less often. For instance, do you need to do writing every day? My 10 yr old still does handwriting, but I have told him that if he does his other work neatly enough, he doesn't have to do handwriting. He seems to enjoy it, though. I told my oldest the same thing when she was 10. As she hated handwriting, she made sure she did her other work neatly enough she didn't have to do it. Also, what helped us was letting the kids pick the order of things. Some days we did science first, some days reading, etc. One of the biggest things is also making sure that you are teaching them with their learning style in mind. If you're doing everything you can think of, set some ground rules. For us, for a couple years we had a rule that you didn't get electronic time unless your work was completed by 1pm. This year we haven't had to use a rule like that. The oldest got past her slump and the next one hasn't had a problem, either. Not that school days are always easy, but this year they have been smooth more often than not.

Advertisement

tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
bmacnak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I def like the 1pm electronics rule, we had the no electronics until ur work is all done, to include chores, but I like the time set idea.
For writing we do a writing assignment, not handwriting per se, he gets to write an email or a journal entry, creative story, etc. but maybe I can cut that down to every other day if u think its too much? And they do mostly get to pick the sequence of tasks.
Thanks for the great ideas!
Bethany, married to the man that makes me smile . Stay at home mom and homeschooler to my three wild and crazy boys! Bryson 9yrs, my comedian Noah, 4yrs and new booby man, Sonny, 8 months . Living our beautiful but crazy free- range, natural hippie lifestyle!)
bmacnak is offline   Reply With Quote