Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #21
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: I may have to wean because of this dang thrush!

For me I had to not just cut back on sugar, I had to cut sugar period. Like a pp said, all sugars including fruit. And actually for me, I was nursing my DD and the thrush wouldn't go away, here I was pregnant, but didn't realize it because my cycles were so wonky with breastfeeding, and I get GD really really early in my pregnancies. So here the sugars I was eating at that time were really throwing me for a loop and it was just feeding the candida. I cut the sugar and was better.

Advertisement

jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
an_aurora
Registered Users

As someone who nursed through a year of thrush, I feel for you! That stuff hurts!!! I was in pain for soooo long. I did the full candida diet and it knocked it out but yeasties came back as soon as I went off it

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #23
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Yep. Really the only thing to do is get a new pump. There was a really great article on it floating around several months ago that I can't find now, of course, but if you google "medela pump thrush" you'll find a lot of anecdotal evidence about it. I really liked our PISA, but I think I'm going to replace it for kiddo #2.
Bummer, so then what do you use to pump while you are recovering? It seems like you would have to stop pumping completely and then only buy the new pump after you get better? That doesn't seem feasible given my situation. Shoot!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #24
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler View Post
Bummer, so then what do you use to pump while you are recovering? It seems like you would have to stop pumping completely and then only buy the new pump after you get better? That doesn't seem feasible given my situation. Shoot!
I found this article when I was looking for the other one, btw, which talked about mold in open-system pumps: http://www.dotdotslittleshop.com/blo...w-can-that-be/.

I've never dealt with it personally, so I honestly don't know. I guess the solution would be to buy a closed-system pump like the Hygenia or Ameda, or to use a manual pump where all of the pieces can be completely sterililzed. The Medela hospital grade pumps are closed-system and not prone to the same issues, so maybe you could see if your insurance would cover one while you're recovering? I was planning on donating milk to a local adopted preemie this time around and thinking my old PISA would be fine, but after reading about the mold issue, I got seriously icked out and started doing research on new closed-system pumps. My thing is that I hate to replace all of my Medela parts, but I looked around and found a handful of Lactina hospital-grade pumps on our local CL for not too much more than a new PISA anyway, and I figure the resale value would be pretty decent compared to a used PISA. Now I have to convince DH that it's a worthwhile investment. Mold spores in milk for my DD would be bad enough, but I'd feel HORRIBLE if a kiddo who's somewhat medically fragile got sick because my pump had gross stuff in it.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #25
bugnbubbies
Registered Users

I also dealt with thrush! NOT FUN!!! I would cry every time he would latch on. I COMPLETELY agree with majors3 about the diet change. However, just reducing sugar/alcohol isnt enough. You have to completely eliminate it! It is VERY difficult to do, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me. For it to fully work, we are talking like 6 to 8 weeks to be sugar/yeast/alcohol free.

Also, my when I was having problems, I asked my midwife about the APNO and one of its ingredients is a steriod/corticosteriod. It is in there to reduce pain and inflammation, however, the steriod can "sup up'' the fungi making it harder to kill.
bugnbubbies is offline   Reply With Quote