View Poll Results: Nursing at extended family's house
It's fine to nurse her in the main room uncovered 23 62.16%
Nurse in the main room but cover her up 12 32.43%
Go to a secluded area to make them more comfortable 0 0%
Infamous other 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #21
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing with extended family (OOT trip for Easter)

When I'm with extended family it really just depends. I try to be as discreet as possible (tank top under and shirt over), but it doesn't always work. I've flashed people on accident before. My DD HATES being covered so it doesn't work really well for me to try to cover her up. That being said, I usually nurse uncovered, but sometimes I will *try* to cover up. My BIL is uncomfortable about it, but would never say anything to me. It kind of bothers me that it makes him uncomfortable because it is such a natural act, but in order to keep the peace I stay in the same room and either use a cover or turn facing a way that my breasts can't be seen. I say nurse in the room and either use a cover or don't. I wouldn't leave the room because that isn't fair to you or your LO (unless it is something you WANT to do). My problem is going to be all the S*** I'm going to get from family for still NIP with DD when she is over 1 year.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nurse coverless 95% of the time. The only times I cover up is around my dad. I just feel I should for some reason. But you will always find me without a cover in public. I feel like the more others are exposed to breastfeeding the more mainstream it will become. If we always cover up while nursing, I feel that gives cushion to the crazy theory that nursing should be done in private.

But in the long run, do you what YOU are comfortable with. Not what others are comfortable with.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
naura
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my family is very pro breastfeeding so i nurse anywhere i want, but when i am with my DH's family i cover or excuse myself because i don't know what their stance on extended BF is (i could care less about what they think but i don't want it to be a topic over dinner).
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Like other mamas said, do whatever YOU are comfortable with. What I have found that works well is I do the shirt pulled up and another pulled down or I wear a scarf ... I know that sounds silly but what I have found is that whether or not I am wearing a nursing shirt or have found a way to pull 2 shirts apart to nurse discreetly, having a light scarf on to fall down over my breast when/if baby pops off makes me much more comfy. I have found that a nursing cover can actually make people more uncomfy because they know for sure what you are doing. Whereas without one I have had people walk right up to me and my lo get down at her face level (as she is nursing) and go... "Aaaww, she's sleeping" My lo is a NOSY nurser especially now that she is older though so she frequently pops off just to see what was going on. I used to NIP a LOT but now I have to seclude myself or she will only eat for 5 seconds and we both end up COVERED in milk As a tiny infant though I used to nurse, uncovered, walking around the mall!

Good luck mama! Whatever you do don't let them make you feel ashamed. You are doing what is best for your baby.

Last edited by looking8186; 04-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #25
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just looked back at your siggy to see how old your lo is and... She's still a bitty babe. She is most likely going to spend a good amount of time sleep nursing or slursing as we call it

Go for it mama! Enjoy it while she is teeny and doesn't pop off every 5 seconds! People can't expect you to go into the other room to nurse a 2 month old!! They nurse CONSTANTLY! You could always sling/wrap her too.. That helps with sore arms and nursing coverage. I loved my Baby K'tan for that we lived in that thing for months!