Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"Do you think your milk is still whole milk or has it turned to skim?"

WTH?!? This is what the pedi asked me yesterday. He asked if they were sttn, I lied and said they wake up 2-3 times a night (when they're actually up alot more than that). He said that by this age (they're just shy of 10 months) they should only wake up once. Then he started talking about solids, (I lied again and said they get them 3x a day, I usually only feed them once), asking about my milk supply, then thats when he asked if I still had whole milk? What's he talking about??? They're small babies, one is 16lbs 5oz and the other is 16lbs and 11oz, but they were preemies and tiny to begin with. They're gaining weight on the slow side, but they're gaining. I just left the conversation at that because I didn't want him to mention the "F" word, and he knew I wouldn't be receptive of it also. I know we're doing just fine, just kind upset me. We so rarely see him that I just take what he says with a grain of salt and know that I'm doing the best thing I can for my babies.

Advertisement

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Do you think your milk is still whole milk or has it turned to skim?"

Good grief he sounds very uneducated about breast-feeding and nutrition in general. I'd start looking for a pedi who you trust enough not to fib to and who supports your parenting choices.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

That whole "your milk is skim/you must make cream/blah blah blah" jazz drives me crazy. Most babies grow just fine on what their mothers produce and no one needs another silly thing to obsess about.

And peds talking about STTN issues--puh-leeeez. Show me your infant sleep credentials and maybe I'll listen. Nine to 12 months is a huge brain development time and it's completely normal to wake up a lot at that stage.

You should have said you think it's turned into Orange Julius or something.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Was he trying to be funny? Yikes!

My baby was not a preemie, just a petite girl, and was MAYBE (but probably not) 16 lbs on her birthday - your kiddos are doing great!
lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Hugz
Registered Users

That guy sounds like a complete tool! I really question some times where some of these so-called health care "professionals" get their credentials. Sorry you had to deal with that. No advice, just sympathy.
Hugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
TempestBeauty
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ped said the same crap. Made me feel like **** about my parenting. Told me I should let my son cry it out.

I started lying to him about sleep, because I accept medical advice from Doctors, not parenting advice. Then I switched peds. It made the HUGEST difference in the world!

It's an effort to find someone new, but it's worth it. I promise.
expecting our little love #2 on 2/12/11!
Blogging about my life at www.tempestbeauty.com
TempestBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He may not have been clear, but he may be asking if you think your milk fat content is going down which is TOTALLY NORMAL!!!! It doesn't matter if it is and they are doing great so blow him off and keep doing what you are doing mama. You are doing great! I am so thankful I have a very AP type pedi. He is lovely with stuff like this.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the support!

How do you find an AP type dr? I don't have any IRL/local friends who are like-minded, so reccomendations from others isn't realistic.

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would switch too. My daughter was not premature and I imagine she'll be right around 16 pounds a 10 months. She's perfectly healthy and happy, she's just small.
MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"well, last time I used it for a latte it LOOKED like whole milk to ME". lol.

I started going to a doctor's office "wellness center" right after Claire was born. The doctor said NOTHING about her weight (WAY high off the charts), my decision to selectively vax or anything, even our EC-ing wasn't questioned I really liked her. Unfortunately she moved and now the other docs are more mainstream. I think that any office that tries to be a little more 'holistic' would be more AP friendly.

One of the docs did say when I told him that we would stop breastfeeding when she wanted to- "you don't want to do that! My wife breastfed for 8 months, and that was enough of that!" sigh. When I pointed out that the WHO recommends 2 years he said
"yeah, in OTHER countries". Umm...no...that's the WORLD HEALTH organization.

stupid doctors...and that is why Claire hasn't been in for a checkup in 3 months.

Last edited by songbird516; 09-30-2010 at 03:04 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote