Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I may have to wean because of this dang thrush!

DS is 10 months old and I have had thrush since he was born! On top of all that I have had mastitis twice, mulitple milk blisters, clogged ducts at least twice a week and I just can't take it! I am currently on a month long regimen of diflucan. It is still not working. They are itchy like crazy, sharp shootjng pains and it feels like there are shards of glass coming out of my nipples. What is weird is that my DS shows no sign of thrush... I have done everything and am about ready to throw in the towel!

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
The only thing that worked for me was gentian violet.

Sent from my iPhone
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
livn4him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I may have to wean because of this dang thrush!

I had the same symptons with my son and we figured out that it wasn't thrush at all. I was sensitive to the solids son was eating. The enzymes in the babies mouth changes when they start eating solids. It might be worth looking into.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+2 View Post
The only thing that worked for me was gentian violet.

Sent from my iPhone
I tried this but it gave my son blisters in his mouth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livn4him View Post
I had the same symptons with my son and we figured out that it wasn't thrush at all. I was sensitive to the solids son was eating. The enzymes in the babies mouth changes when they start eating solids. It might be worth looking into.
Really? Hmmm so what did you do?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Try Candex before you give up. I took several rounds of diflucan and the Candex is what finally worked. I took it with my midwifes blessing.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
majors3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Found this article online once and have passed it around to different friends who have had GREAT success with it. Worth a try anyway!

Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat Thrush
Thrush.
Even writing that 6-letter word gives me shivers.
Thrush—which is a yeast infection in a baby’s mouth that can spread to a mother’s nipples—can be as painful as it is difficult to diagnose.
If you feel shooting pain when your baby latches on to nurse (and sometimes throughout the entire feeding), you may have thrush.
Your nipple, depending on your skin tone, may look a little red. Or it may not look any different.
You can sometimes tell if the baby has thrush by looking at his tongue: if it is coated in a white substance that looks like milk but doesn’t come off when he swallows, it may be thrush.
Since thrush can cause cracks in your nipples, it is often accompanied by a secondary bacterial infection.
I’m very sensitive to sugar and if I’m not careful about eating sweets, I tend to get yeast infections. So it’s not surprising that I’ve had thrush at some point with every one of my four children. I just had it with Leone. It was so painful to nurse on the left side that I was up most of the night, curling my toes to keep from crying out and waking the baby.
Anyone who has tried to fight a thrush infection already knows that traditional Western topical anti-fungal medications just don’t work.
At least, they’ve never worked for me.
In addition to prescription medication like nystatin, people will tell you to try gentian violet. You paint the purple stuff on your nipples and it gets all over the baby’s mouth when he nurses.
Gentian violet has never worked for me either.
But I do have a treatment that works.
The first thing to do if you suspect you have thrush and you’re breastfeeding is to cut all sugar and sweets out of your diet and to stop drinking alcohol. You should also start eating plain organic yogurt with every meal, and you can take acidophilus as well. The healthy bacteria cultures in the yogurt will help beat out the yeast outbreak. Then run to a natural food store and buy grapefruit seed extract. (Note that this is NOT grape seed extract, that is a different supplement.)
Grapefruit seed extract comes in capsule form and in liquid. You need the liquid form but it’s so bitter and hard to swallow that you may want to buy capsules too.
Put 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract in 5 drops of water and apply this to both nipples three times a day. At the same time, drink 15 drops of extract in an 8-oz glass of water (hold your nose and drink as fast as you can, try not to gag) three times a day. Or take 1 capsule.
Leone’s tongue went from being coated with white to looking completely normal in one day and the pain in my nipple subsided immediately. I wish more doctors knew about this cure. They could stop prescribing costly anti-fungals that don’t work anyway and start suggesting a cure that actually clears up the infection.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I feel for you. Just started nursing #3 and we're dealing with a bout of thrush. I can't imagine dealing with all those issues for months. It sounds like there are some good options for you, although giving up sugar seems like pure misery in itself (ha, ha). I hope you can find some relief!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Try Candex before you give up. I took several rounds of diflucan and the Candex is what finally worked. I took it with my midwifes blessing.
I am going to order the candex! I literally want to scratch them off because of how itchy they are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by majors3 View Post
Found this article online once and have passed it around to different friends who have had GREAT success with it. Worth a try anyway!

Grapefruit Seed Extract to Treat Thrush
Thrush.
Even writing that 6-letter word gives me shivers.
Thrush—which is a yeast infection in a baby’s mouth that can spread to a mother’s nipples—can be as painful as it is difficult to diagnose.
If you feel shooting pain when your baby latches on to nurse (and sometimes throughout the entire feeding), you may have thrush.
Your nipple, depending on your skin tone, may look a little red. Or it may not look any different.
You can sometimes tell if the baby has thrush by looking at his tongue: if it is coated in a white substance that looks like milk but doesn’t come off when he swallows, it may be thrush.
Since thrush can cause cracks in your nipples, it is often accompanied by a secondary bacterial infection.
I’m very sensitive to sugar and if I’m not careful about eating sweets, I tend to get yeast infections. So it’s not surprising that I’ve had thrush at some point with every one of my four children. I just had it with Leone. It was so painful to nurse on the left side that I was up most of the night, curling my toes to keep from crying out and waking the baby.
Anyone who has tried to fight a thrush infection already knows that traditional Western topical anti-fungal medications just don’t work.
At least, they’ve never worked for me.
In addition to prescription medication like nystatin, people will tell you to try gentian violet. You paint the purple stuff on your nipples and it gets all over the baby’s mouth when he nurses.
Gentian violet has never worked for me either.
But I do have a treatment that works.
The first thing to do if you suspect you have thrush and you’re breastfeeding is to cut all sugar and sweets out of your diet and to stop drinking alcohol. You should also start eating plain organic yogurt with every meal, and you can take acidophilus as well. The healthy bacteria cultures in the yogurt will help beat out the yeast outbreak. Then run to a natural food store and buy grapefruit seed extract. (Note that this is NOT grape seed extract, that is a different supplement.)
Grapefruit seed extract comes in capsule form and in liquid. You need the liquid form but it’s so bitter and hard to swallow that you may want to buy capsules too.
Put 1 drop of grapefruit seed extract in 5 drops of water and apply this to both nipples three times a day. At the same time, drink 15 drops of extract in an 8-oz glass of water (hold your nose and drink as fast as you can, try not to gag) three times a day. Or take 1 capsule.
Leone’s tongue went from being coated with white to looking completely normal in one day and the pain in my nipple subsided immediately. I wish more doctors knew about this cure. They could stop prescribing costly anti-fungals that don’t work anyway and start suggesting a cure that actually clears up the infection.
I have been doing the GSE and I am still having issues. I have cut back the sugar and don't drink alcohol! I am doomed?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I took candex twice a day and acidophiles twice a day. I also used 10 drops of GSE 1.2 oz water and 1/2 vinegar straight on the nipples once or twice a day. Get your care provider to prescribe Newmans All Purpose Nipple Cream as well.

I was already using everything but the candex but the candex has REALLY helped. I had thrush for like 7 or 8 months.