Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Discouraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Maybe the shield you have is not the best size for you? I don't know that much about shields, but I thought they were supposed to prevent soreness and cracking. I wonder if a different size would work better?
I've never seen nipple shields in different sizes. Maybe you are thinking about pump shields? Nipple shields make latching easier but they actually make soreness and cracking worse. When the baby sucks, the nipple actually rubs the inside of the shield, so with all of that friction it is impossible for the tissue to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aept View Post
Right now it is super hard but will be sooooo worth it for a nice long time after you get through this tough part. Your hard work now will pay off later! Stick to it, for both of you! I admit with my third I pushed through our difficulties as much for myself as him. I knew how nice and easy it was (by 6 weeks) with my first two and I love the ease of breastfeeding at night especially! I co-sleep and I love my sleep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Nothing that anyone else hasn't said, just wanted to offer more !! And find a new LC or LLL group--you'll be SO SO glad you did!

Hang in there!

Advertisement

bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would have to second what the pp said. I wouldn't worry about getting off the nipple sheild just yet! I had to use one with my LO for the first 3 months. I was just thankful that I had it to help him latch on! I was not able to bf my other two because of latching problems (I have flat nipples) and I didn't know about nipple shields. I was glad that I was able to bf my youngest even if it was with the nipple sheild. After 3 months I was able to stop using it, and it got even easier! About the pumping, I would definitly pump some! I used the pump in the beginning when I was so sore I couldn't stand the thought of nursing again. I would pump one feeding and have my dh feed him the bottle, and it would give my nipples a chance to get a break! Then it wouldn't hurt so much the next time! It helped a lot! I probably pumped 1-3 feedings a day the first few weeks. I just want to ecourage you that it will get better, and you will be so glad you put in this effort! Just keep on keepin on! Good luck, and keep us posted!
BTW, I have been bfing for 8 months! Be sure to celebrate how great you are doing! (I have heard having 1 alcoholic drink can help too, and won't hurt the baby!)
jmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1961 View Post
I've never seen nipple shields in different sizes. Maybe you are thinking about pump shields? Nipple shields make latching easier but they actually make soreness and cracking worse. When the baby sucks, the nipple actually rubs the inside of the shield, so with all of that friction it is impossible for the tissue to heal.
I really know next to nothing about nipple shields, but they do seem to come in different sizes (20 mm, 24 mm, etc.). At least, Medela seems to sell different sizes. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Contact-Nipple-Shield-20mm/dp/B000YQMWLU[/url]
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone has given you great advise. Hope you can get things worked out.

I had dificulties with #3 and fineally found some great help and was able to work though things and he went on to nurse till 10 months with no other issues
Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I really know next to nothing about nipple shields, but they do seem to come in different sizes (20 mm, 24 mm, etc.). At least, Medela seems to sell different sizes.
Thanks for the link, I got mine in the hospital and my MIL got me an extra one at Target so I wasn't aware there are different sizes. I was just trying to point out that even though the shield is supposed to help soreness, in many cases it can make things worse.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think you are getting great advice. I EPd for 24 months (just recently weaned) and it was not a fun experience.

If you need any advice on pumping, just PM me.

If I could go back in time I would have had her checked for tongue and lip ties (both of which she has) and used an SNS with the pumped milk in it instead of bottles. You're doing great Mama!

Ps, nipple shields DO come in different sizes. Check amazon or BRU.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Just offering support! My second LO has an upper lip tie which made BFing in the beginning terribly painful. As he grew it got a lot easier and by week 4 we were smooth sailing. Now he's nearly 9 months (where did the time go?), and I'm really thankful that I didn't give up. I am glad he was # 2 because honestly, if he was # 1 I probably would've given up. Just know that the learning curve is there for both you AND the baby, and hopefully you can still meet with an LC who will actually be supportive to get things worked out for you and your ADORABLE baby.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the nipple shield is what hurts...but we went 20 minutes without the shield today! It still hurt without the shield, but it wasn't that bad. My nipples aren't cracked or bleeding (they were in the hospital, but with lanolin and soothies they healed right up), so I am going to keep trying without the shield. I want to get to the point where I can do breast & bottle...but I am afraid of nipple confusion. I try to get him rooting around the nipple before he gets hungry and frustrated so he can try to get used to the breast without the shield.
I pumped today (hospital rented pump that I have for 6 days), but we are going to put the milk in the freezer right now. Pumping wasn't so bad, but then again I had the Medela Symphony...a $1500 pump that I would never be able to afford. After Wed, we will have to find one to buy since that is way more economical.
I keep pushing through...I'm so much more positive in the morning/afternoon about breastfeeding than I am at night. By that point, I'm extremely tired, frustrated and horribly sore! But it is what I really want to do for Chase, it is such a great bonding time for us that I just can't seem to have the actual will to give it up!
MorningSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoon View Post
I would have to second what the pp said. I wouldn't worry about getting off the nipple sheild just yet! I had to use one with my LO for the first 3 months. I was just thankful that I had it to help him latch on! I was not able to bf my other two because of latching problems (I have flat nipples) and I didn't know about nipple shields. I was glad that I was able to bf my youngest even if it was with the nipple sheild. After 3 months I was able to stop using it, and it got even easier! About the pumping, I would definitly pump some! I used the pump in the beginning when I was so sore I couldn't stand the thought of nursing again. I would pump one feeding and have my dh feed him the bottle, and it would give my nipples a chance to get a break! Then it wouldn't hurt so much the next time! It helped a lot! I probably pumped 1-3 feedings a day the first few weeks. I just want to ecourage you that it will get better, and you will be so glad you put in this effort! Just keep on keepin on! Good luck, and keep us posted!
BTW, I have been bfing for 8 months! Be sure to celebrate how great you are doing! (I have heard having 1 alcoholic drink can help too, and won't hurt the baby!)
How did you manage to pump and breastfeed without nipple confusion? And how did you get your LO off the nipple shield?
MorningSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
mel maya
Registered Users
seller

i think seeing a lc was the best thing i did for my daughter, i was ready to quit with bleeding and cracked nipples, i begged the lc to see us that day. they can evaluate the latch etc, so worth it and the first time we nursed without pain.
mel maya is offline   Reply With Quote