Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm SO upset! Updated and in tears

Have you latched him on and you dont hear him swallowing? What I would do is latch him on. Keep him latched for 15 mins or so to stimulate, and then when he's done, then give him a bottle. That way he's stimulating your supply and still eating. You can eventually wean him off the bottle once your milk ups again.
I dont think that it would dry up that quickly, to be honest, and pumping isnt a good indicator of what is in there.

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
FallBabies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post
Have you latched him on and you dont hear him swallowing? What I would do is latch him on. Keep him latched for 15 mins or so to stimulate, and then when he's done, then give him a bottle. That way he's stimulating your supply and still eating. You can eventually wean him off the bottle once your milk ups again.
I dont think that it would dry up that quickly, to be honest, and pumping isnt a good indicator of what is in there.
The problem is he WON'T latch. I am trying to get him to, and he is absoluting refusing it. I've still got a drain in me for the rest of this week, so I have to be really careful with how I hold him, can't adjust him or anything.

I could continue w/ the pump, but it clearly doesn't seem to be working.

I get the drain taken out on Friday (I hope.) In total, this would have been nearly 3 weeks of not nursing. Is it possible to get the supply flowing again?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry, I didnt know that it was 3 weeks! So you havent had any stimulation in 3 weeks? If you can pump w/out causing yourself pain, then I would do it, just to get stimulated.

It may be hard to get him to latch if its been 3 weeks. What kind of holds can you do? Can you do football hold, where most of his body is resting on the bed next to you? I do that hold mainly when Em is nursing on my left side, just because it was easiest in the beginning after my c-section, so we just stuck with it.
I would also call the hospital and talk to the lactation consultant. I'm studying to be a breastfeeding consultant myself, but I am not that qualified/experienced yet to give out that much info. I am just trying to help ya w/ what I know as a nursing mom myself

I would think that you still have milk, you just need to work at getting it up again and going. In the end, if you can't, please don't beat yourself up. My 1st 2 kids were formula fed, and they are healthy, and not overweight
My breastfed son is the one with the peanut allergy! lol

I'd try to work at it if you can, but if you are in pain, don't beat yourself up over it. You need to take care of yourself too!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you get ahold of a Lact-Aid, and start supplementing your baby at the breast? He might be willing to latch on if there is food readily available. My good friend relactated for her adopted baby with domperidone, so you will be able to get your supply back, but it will take a few weeks. Your supply is "set" after the first 6 weeks.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
Hang it here mama, and hugs to you, I am rooting for you!
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

you CAN re-lactate.. you may not be able to get a full supply but you can do it if you really want to.. moms who have stopped nursing for 6 months have gotten their milk supplies back.. the hurdle you have to overcome is the pumping issue and that you can't take the herbs. so.. have you seen an LC about the pumping issues? maybe you need a different size/style flange (the part that goes on your breast) some mom's have more luck with the soft ones.. ask a LC they can fit you and try different things.. also you can try breast compressions while pumping.. . pump every 2 hours around the clock - cover the pump/bottles with a blanket - look at your baby/picture of your baby and set a timer for 15-20 mins and don't worry about what you get ..

you are asking a lot of your body right now, once you are healed you might find it easier to pump and rebuild a supply.. you don't have to give up!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
mama_harrison
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i cant offer any tangible advice, but i read your story and i wanted to offer a hug! you will get through this mama, but im ss that you had to face the hurdle in the first place.
mama_harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
FallBabies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
you CAN re-lactate.. you may not be able to get a full supply but you can do it if you really want to.. moms who have stopped nursing for 6 months have gotten their milk supplies back.. the hurdle you have to overcome is the pumping issue and that you can't take the herbs. so.. have you seen an LC about the pumping issues? maybe you need a different size/style flange (the part that goes on your breast) some mom's have more luck with the soft ones.. ask a LC they can fit you and try different things.. also you can try breast compressions while pumping.. . pump every 2 hours around the clock - cover the pump/bottles with a blanket - look at your baby/picture of your baby and set a timer for 15-20 mins and don't worry about what you get ..

you are asking a lot of your body right now, once you are healed you might find it easier to pump and rebuild a supply.. you don't have to give up!

I know it isn't anything to do w/ the pump/parts itself (like wrong sizing.) When I had my twins, I was literally a cow. I could fill a bottle in minutes on each side, and still keep going. I had oversupply up the whazoo. I nursed the twins for a year, only pumped occasionally but issues were definitely non-existent.

This time, I've ONLY produced for ds. Never been able to pump. I also have never really engorged; my supply adjusted to him immediately, and he was able to nurse from the first time he tried.

I am going to try self-stimming for the next few days until I get this drain out (it's very difficult to pump w/ the tubing in the way.) Then, I will be contacting my ob and seeing if there is something I can take to try to get the supply going again. I will rent a hospital-grade pump so that I have the most powerful stimming possible. If I can get anything, even 1/2 oz, I will start attempting to get ds to try latching again. He is really happy w/ his bottles now, and if I'm not producing enough to feed, I'm not going to hold bottles back b/c he is impatient and won't go for it. But by golly, I am going to give it my all to really try and get my supply back.

Last edited by FallBabies; 09-15-2009 at 11:32 PM.
FallBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #18
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

fennel oil will help increase supply
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry
Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #20
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallBabies View Post
I recently had surgery (gallbladder removal), and at the time was told I'd just not be able to nurse half that day. I really was worried about it pre-surgery, and considered putting it off until ds was older so it wouldn't be much of an issue, but after talking to the docs, peds, etc., decided that it was a simple enough procedure and at most, baby just would miss a few feedings that day at most.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. Two days after the gallbladder surgery I was rushed into the ER due to a bile leak. I had to have emergency surgery to flush my body, was hospitalized for four more days, and heavily medicated for a week beyond.

Pumps have never worked for me this pregnancy, so ds was forced to learn to take bottles/formula. He struggled the first couple days, but as time went on, adjusted and ate well. I did what I could in the hospital to keep my supply (pump and dump) using the medela hospital grade pump. Even with that, I was only getting minimal milk pumped.

Now I'm home and trying to start nursing again. It is difficult, as I have a tube coming out of my stomach (hopefully to be removed tomorrow.) DS wants nothing to do with nursing (the little that I have tried.) I'm able to manually express drops of milk, so I know he must be getting SOMETHING when he sucks, but at this point he either isn't getting enough or is just not willing to do the work to nurse. I can't push it too much, b/c it is so hard on my body at this point to even try.

I just don't know what to do. I want him to stay ebf, but I'm feeling like my supply is quickly diminishing, I can't pump to keep it up, and don't know how to force him to nurse when I can't really do it now anyway.

I'm heartbroken and angry. I should have listened to my gut and put off the initial surgery to begin with. But I didn't, and now I don't know if I can somehow get ds back to nursing, or at what point I give in and figure he is going to have to switch to formula permanently.

Update: It's gone. My supply is gone. I can't get anything to come out. I got one drop out of one side this morning. I'm bawling. I looked into the fenugreek, but couldn't do it b/c of peanut allergies and diabetes risk. I tried to pump manually, as well as occasionally nurse him to keep the supply there, but the pumping did nothing, and he just wasn't interested in doing all that work for nothing.
I love nursing him, the way he rolls his eyes as he eats, and how he holds on so tightly to my hand with mine. We don't vax, so he needed my milk for extra antibodies.
I don't know what to do now. I just can't stop crying. I can't believe I don't even get the option to bf anymore. I'm so mad at myself for getting the surgery in the first place. I'm angry that we'll now have to buy formula, which is an extra bill that we'll now have at the time that I have lost my job and we can't even afford the bills that we've already got. He has to have a special formula due to milk allergy, it costs a fortune, and I'm just filled with anger and sadness.
Anyway, thanks for listening.

There are a few other options then the Fenugreek...there is Blessed Thistle and a few other things. So far the research that I have done, does not state that there is good enough evidence about the Fenugreek and diabetes thing to say that it will cause any blood sugar issues. In fact, there is a possibility of it, but has never been recorded as an issue I believe that I have read.

Anyhow, there is a medicine that you can take as well. Reglan is a possibility to take, it is a stomach med that has the side effect of increased lactation. Talk to your doc about it. Do you have a LC close to you?

Donor milk is another option for you too, I have heard of women approaching their health insurance companies about paying for it.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote