Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Chey
Banned

My Mood:
Re: What are the nursing mamas favorite must haves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
a good support group and a ton of patience.
I might add, sheer will and determination to get through the hard times. We're at 5.5 months. This is my third child but the first I've breastfed and it is still an everyday.struggle for us.

Advertisement

Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A baby...

With all of my 3 I never used and special nursing "devices" just let them do their job.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanele View Post
A baby...

With all of my 3 I never used and special nursing "devices" just let them do their job.
Oh how I wish it were that easy! None of mine have latched properly, so I've been an exclusive pumper with all of them. This latest baby will sometimes latch, but now she just blows raspberries on my boobies when I try to get her to nurse So, a good pump is a definite plus for me! I've got 2 right now; one to keep at home and one in the car/at work. They are both Medela PISA, and I also have 2 Medela Harmony handpumps "just in case". My baby does not like frozen milk, so I pump fresh for her every few hours, and donate all my frozen milk.

Other than that, a good hands-free pump bra (I made my own out of an old nursing bra) and a few nursing camis from Target. That's about it!

Good luck on your new adventure!
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Whenever any of my friends are pregnant and make the decision to breastfeed I put together a little "kit" for them.

A good water bottle (When baby eats, you drink! Stay hydrated!)
Lanolin (I personally can't use it, gives me thrush every time)
Lanisnoh nursing pads. (I tried all the disposable ones and I found these work best. )
The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears, a great resource to have.

I love Targets nursing tanks. They're hassle free, and around $15. Can't eat that. Target's nursing bra's are good too, around $12-15. (I recently invested $35 in a Bravado basic bra. Wish I had done this sooner! )
Boppy. Of course, some people hate it, some like it. I happen to love mine.
A comfy spot to sit with everything you need in reach. Since nursing and building a good supply is all you should be doing those first 6 weeks. The housework will be there when everything settled, believe me.

Also, I got rid of any formula samples I had been sent. I didn't want the...temptation of an easy fix around. For me, I made it boobs or nothing. And well, they can't survive on nothing!

and most importantly, SUPPORT. Surround yourself with people who will support you in your decision. In moments of doubt (And there will be some) you don't want to call up your friend to hear "Just give her a bottle and go to bed."
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Boppy or similar with at least 2 covers

TONS of burp rags (DD had reflux pretty bad, but they're great for all kinds of other leaks (ie drool)

well-fitting, super comfy sleep bras (great to wear around the house)

super stretchy tanks (I get the most amazing ones for $5 each at Rave that are soooo soft and stretchy. They are uber comfy and stretchy enough that I wore them all through my pregnancy too. Then just pull up over shirt, pull down tank, voila! no need for "nursing" clothes!)

Water bottle with straw (hospital will probably give you one), and lots of snacks. When bf'ing, I would get sooo hungry and thirsty, so I just kept cookies/granola bars and my water near my main nursing areas (couch and bed).

Lanolin - I didn't use it much, but it was important to have when I needed it. Also great for baby's who suck their thumb a lot (dd would get a sort of blister that would peel, but the lanolin kept it under control).

Last edited by The Fancy Pansy; 12-30-2009 at 12:27 AM.
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nursing tanks (and a really comfy pair of PJ bottoms or yoga pants to wear with them) These were and are my uniform of choice. I wear them all day, and I sleep in them. Now that I'm back at work, they are perfect under my regular work clothes so I have some modesty when I nurse ds at daycare and when I pump at work.
Nipple cream. I loved Mustela brand (BRU) or Earth Mama Angel Baby. Hate lanolin; it's too thick and actually hurt going on.
BIG water bottle.
Laptop computer. LOL. I had a baby attached to me so much at first, I just stayed on the couch with him and the laptop. Gave me easy access to here and another forum for bfing support.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. LC's phone number
2. Breastfeeding books to have easy access to a's for all the q's you will have (The Womanly Art of Bf'ing, The Nursing Mother's Companion...any LLL books)
3. Pillows
4. Lanolin
5. A good pump for troublesome times (or just when you want to get out)
6. Nursing Tanks (the ones from Target are GREAT...IMO)
7. Supportive / Comfortable Nursing Bras
8. Lots of cloth nursing pads (in the beginning)

GL mama!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
Clare378
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToMyMonkeys View Post
So, a good pump is a definite plus for me! I've got 2 right now; one to keep at home and one in the car/at work.

Do NOT scrimp on your pump! We made that mistake, then ended up buying the Medela PISA. I head back to work after next week, so it's critical.

And I value shawls - I don't know if it's for my own comfort/modesty or if it's for other people. I find that people interact with me better if I'm somewhat covered while nursing as I run errands.
Clare378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
cooldrinkofwater
Registered Users
seller

My must haves:

A boppy and a My Breast Friend. (Yes, I have both and use both. I use the boppy on the rocking chair, because the Breast Friend is too bulky for that chair. Love the Breast Friend for EVERYTHING else. You can even walk around with the baby and keep up with the sibs with that one, because it attaches behind you.)

Healthy snacks and lots of water.

A Medela electric pump. The hand held wasn't worth the powder to blow it up in my opinion.

Pretty much everything else is negotiable for me.

Loving life! as a SAHM to three happy, happy kids --DS 6 and DD 4 years old and a DD who arrived Christmas day 2009 I talk about gardening, homeschooling, and crafts on my blog http://craftycristy.blogspot.com/
cooldrinkofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 AM   #20
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldrinkofwater View Post
My must haves:

A boppy and a My Breast Friend. (Yes, I have both and use both. I use the boppy on the rocking chair, because the Breast Friend is too bulky for that chair. Love the Breast Friend for EVERYTHING else. You can even walk around with the baby and keep up with the sibs with that one, because it attaches behind you.)

Healthy snacks and lots of water.

A Medela electric pump. The hand held wasn't worth the powder to blow it up in my opinion.

Pretty much everything else is negotiable for me.
I just want to point out that My Breast Friend does NOT recommend walking around while using their nursing pillow. They're getting a lot of flack about that because Michelle Duggar does it on their TLC show all the time. The buckle on the pillow is not weight bearing. Yes, you may have your hand on your LO, but what is your other hand doing while you're walking around? If that buckle should fail you'll need both hands to catch your LO. If your other hand is busy and you're not quick enough. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.
The risk is not worth it.