Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Extended BFing

I'm with the others, I never really "decided" to EBF, it just came naturally. They're still such little babies even though they seem so much older than the were when they came out. My DD1 will be 4 next month and she is still nursing, although at this point only once every 1-3 days or so. Benefits? Huge. I truly believe it's kept her so much healthier than she'd be if not still BF'd. Plus, it means SO much to her. It's a constant. When her little world is changing rapidly, she can still nurse. When SHE decides to stop, I'll know she was ready. Forcing her to do so before that point just feels wrong to me.

DD2 is only 20 months but still nursing regularly throughout the day and I feel the same way about it with her.

Soon I'll be nursing 3 of them until DD1 decides to wean, but I'm very glad that I chose to stick with it even through the times where I was tired of it or hormonally out of whack (I seem to hit that point around 14-16 months each time, and it's related to my cycles).

If people make comments (though most don't know DD1 is still nursing, as she doesn't NIP ever anymore...and DD2 they just know she is since DD1 nursed well past this point), I just turn it around on them. Nearly every single comment is an uneducated one, so they either realize how dumb they look to be making rude, unsolicited comments, OR they realize they have something to learn and are honestly open to hearing about extended BF'ing.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could always point out that WHO recommends nursing for 2 years.

The World Health Organization's infant feeding recommendation
As stated in the Global Strategy on Infant and Young Child Feeding (WHA55 A55/15, paragraph 10):

Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed(1) for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health(2). Thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond. Exclusive breastfeeding from birth is possible except for a few medical conditions, and unrestricted exclusive breastfeeding results in ample milk production.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I nursed my oldest for 3.5 years and I loved it, she too is not a very cuddly girl and I cherished every few min. I got to nurse her. The little one is 20 months and she's much more addicted to the bite bites as she calls them! I also get grief from everyone, well actually this time I've only gotten from dh not anyone else, I guess they just know from last time it doesnt' matter to me i'm going to do what I feel is BEST for my child and that's EBF!!

Now for benefits, some include: when they take in less milk-like quick feeds the antibodies are in MUCH bigger doeses, your body adjust to how much milk the baby is getting so those quick feeds have lots of antibodies in them. That's the biggest reason I continued to nurse my oldest and will my younger, especially since she has a big sister and we attend library story dates so we potentially bring home extra germs!! Theyve neither one been very sick EVER!! GL momma hold to your guns and be strong for you little baby, you only have this chance ONE time!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
kim.mpls
Registered Users
seller

I've been surprised by the number of comments to the effect of "don't you want your breasts back?" I think that's a strange perspective, given that I figure they are fulfilling their purpose. I also figure this time will be over soon enough!

Sometimes I mention the WHO recommendation for 2 years of BF. Sometimes I just ignore the comments. My MIL was okay with ExBF until my DD started lifting my shirt after greeting me (about 18 months). Now she says, "if she's old enough to ask for it, don't you think it's time to quit?" What a strange approach to communicating with a child, don't you think?

So I figure, I know the health benefits, relationship and communication benefits with my daughter, and I just follow my conscience. My husband is mostly quiet about the ExBF, but likes that DD and I can nurse in bed in the morning and get an extra 45-60 minutes of sleep before he has to get up to start breakfast

Last edited by kim.mpls; 01-26-2010 at 09:11 PM.
kim.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
emerel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am sort of facing this with my family now. My twins are 11 months old, and my dh was also very pro "nurse for a year" having never been in an environment where a child was bf. Now that our boys are approaching a year, he has asked if they will be quitting at a year and I told him "no", they are not ready to quit and are still very young so he has not said much beyond that. My MIL has also asked how long I will bf bcz she "couldn't stand it after 6 months" and none of her other 10 grandchildren were nursed beyond a few months if at all. I just say " I don't know". I nursed my older three dds (from previous marriage) to at least two, so I am not unfamiliar with extended bf, and my family knows not to ask! The interesting thing this time around is that I have my older dds (two of whom are teenagers) watching my parenting and asking those questions with a true interest so hopefully they will have a different mindset about nurturing, child led weaning and benefits of bf with their kids!

emerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would educate your DH on the benefits of extended bfing.. There are a lot of good links in the sticky at the top I'm sorry he's encouraging you to do it I really think that in the US it's just "expected". my dd is 17 months and her aunt just asked the other day when I was going to wean her.. I was kinda annoyed like it's her business or an insult to her if I keep bfing.. My personal limit is three but dh says he doesnt mind till 5 I guess I"m just blessed to have an extra supportive dh

Hope he's able to see your point of view!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Slychikadee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a first time mom to a 22 month old. We are still breastfeeding and I am just now seeing him drop feedings and my supply lessen. I am okay with being done soon, but I am glad I did decide to go past one year. My DH is very supportive, but I do get looks and comments from "outsiders" --most of the time I dont care. It is when people try to give their opinion on it that I get bothered. I usually simply stop listening.

I dont think my son will nurse much longer. He never liked milk until recently and now he loves to sit and drink milk with a straw, plus he is so active that he really only stops to nurse at waking, before his nap, after the nap and once in awhile he wants it before bedtime.

Do what you think is right for you, your baby and your family. Who cares what other people think. I had a ped who told me to wean him at one year... I changed peds.
Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Kimbyk2000
Registered Users

My Mood:

Let your son decide when he is ready to wean.
Kimbyk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
MilkyMama
Registered Users

I don't consider nursing at 1 to be extended breastfeeding!? I always thought that anything beyond two was? Anyways, I bf'd DS until 9 months when I started a medication that my dr didn't think I should take while bf'ing [Still on that medication now and successfully nursing DD] but this time around I will let dd wean herself. As for your husband, he needs to be educated. He sounds a lot like my DH. I'm not looking forward to the conversations we have around the one year mark.
MilkyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Good questions

After lots of research and seeing the fantastic benefits of EBF I just knew I'd do it. Also for me personally, spirituality played a part. Being a believer in Christ and knowing that Hebrew women, as well as the early Christians, nursed until 3 years of age, I felt that it was my spiritual duty to not only nurse, but to do it as long.

I'm also child led weaning. So I won't stop him at 3 if he wants to go further, or if he weans himself before that's fine. It's totally up to my son.

Criticism. I must admit, I get pretty snarky if someone gets snarky with me about it. However, I made it known up front what I would be doing and that was that.

I also start quoting a lot of research on the rare occasion that someone does get "silly" about. Usually they shut up then because they have no rebuttal.

Lastly, I just let people know, my child, my body, my choice to raise him how I want.
http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote