Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
sweetietooth
I *heart* fresh fluff.
seller

"Do you have a cover?"

We went out to eat at a very family-friendly salad bar tonight and I received my first breast feeding in public comment. A women across from us (only kind-of across from us... walkway between us, her chair was facing a different direction than mine) asked me, "Do you have a cover?"

At first, I couldn't hear her because, er, she wasn't that close and like I said, family-friendly place, not super quiet. Plus, I was sitting with my two boys, a friend and DH, and I was on the far side of the table. Discretely nursing my baby.

I gave her a blank stare and said, "No."
Her: "Didn't someone give you a cover?"
Me: "No. I'm not going to cover his face."

She returns to her table, and chair that's not even facing in my direction, and proceeds to finish her meal reading the newspaper.

Really? My BFing my six-week-old without *any* exposed flesh disturbed her that much that she had to say something? Really? I mean, come on! There were other women wearing tank tops with more on display than me!!

I am flabbergasted that this exchange actually took place. DH and I watched ABC's "What Would You Do?" on public breast feeding and have been joking about it lately. Because it seems so ludicrous to us. We must have willed it to happen to us!

Anyway, just had to share. I am still in disbelief. I keep replaying the scene in my head and can't fall asleep - there are so many other things I'd like to say... Shoot.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
amazonpixie81
Registered Users

Re: "Do you have a cover?"

I would have just said "well we all have to watch you eat"
amazonpixie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Mama2Mirella
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue and would've hauled off on her, lol. I had plenty of comments like that in my BFing days...
Mama2Mirella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
sweetietooth
I *heart* fresh fluff.
seller

I know! I kept thinking of the classic, "Well then you cover your face while you eat!!"

I kind of sat there fuming for a while. And now I guess I'm sitting here still annoyed. Bleh.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
amazonpixie81
Registered Users

I'm irritated for you lol. I nurse DD anywhere we are, but I always get the feeling at resturants that someone is going to say something to me...and the situation is just so ironic >.<

I try very hard to be casual about it and not go into the situation expecting a confrontation (that's just asking for it) but I always feel like if it was going to happen, it'd be while we were out eating.

Reminds me of this family Mexican place we discovered last summer. A woman was nursing her newborn and hubby looked over and saw. He actually nudged me and pointed her out and said "thats awesome" and then we finished eating lol.
Now thats what SHOULD have happened.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Carey-Anne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have always used a receiving blanket or a nursing cover though at home I have no issuse with covering up at all. I would just rather not "offend" anyone. I mean even on facebook there was the whole showing a small amount of breast skin while breastfeeding which of course is natural but was considered nudity. I even cover up at the community health centre (and so do other mom's) even though we are in the playroom/nursing room. People just get offended so easily at things which are natural (and don't show any exposed skin) ....sigh....

I am also a WAHM who sells Avon and Regal gifts. Please e-mail me for a catalogue or website catalogue link
Carey-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't you hate it when the best comebacks don't come to mind until hours after the incident happened? I would've said something along the lines that at least your breasts are attractive whereas her face is not and could she please cover up while eating, her ugly is scaring your children.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To each their own. i cover but mostly to keep DS on track, he would be playing and not nurse.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
azmokitty
Banned

My Mood:

dang it! why oh why don't people EVER say anything to me when DD2 is nursing when we're out?!?!? i am just itching to go after someone.

i would have blown up on that lady. there is no reason you should need to cover. "did someone give you a cover:....wtf is that all about? what a rude woman...i (and my DH too!) would have let her have it!
azmokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
amazonpixie81
Registered Users

The funny part about "showing skin" is that I know for me personally, you can see way more of "the girls" when I'm just in a tank than you can when were nursing.