Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can I join?

Hi mamas! Can I join you all here?

When DH and I first got married, he was quite adamant against homeschooling. This was a bit concerning to me since I was homeschooled up to college and had planned on homeschooling my kids. But I felt like the issue was something we'd be able to talk through, DH being the reasonable sort of guy. His main objection was that in his experience, homeschooled kids tended to be socially awkward and not understand basic social cues.

Gradually, he's had a change of heart/opinion. My argument against the whole social issue is that as a parent you can give your child other opportunities to interact with kids their age; in addition, when you homeschool, you can give them more of an opportunity to interact with adults which I feel lots of kids don't get enough of. Also various studies have shown that homeschooled kids are actually more emotionally stable and socially confident. In addition, there are a ton of crazy things going on in the public school system that we don't agree with and we don't want our kids to have to deal with.

We've compromised and decided that we will let our kids go to public school for a year or two in elementary school and then homeschool them for the rest. For high school, we will probably do some sort of accredited program so they can earn a transcript for college.

Our dd is still pre-preschool so right now I would love to just hear ideas of what other mamas are doing.

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can I join?

We don't do anything for preschool, I just wanted to give you a welcome. With my oldest (turns seven next month) we are in My Father's World first grade, but we're currently taking a break from it. We plan to continue with the MFW program, we really love it!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 4.5 years old and he is a bit over half way through Calvert Kindergarden. He has already done Calvert Pre-K last year. Right now we are doing a 6 day a week school. I wouldn't recommend that long term, but we are slightly behind and on a time crunch with me going to have another child this summer.

It is working well for us and we will continue this next year as well (1st grade). My hope is to start that in September sometime. We have done more or less year round schooling since we started in January 2012. We did have some large breaks in there with me dealing with first trimester stuff.

We are doing secular schooling rather then religious education because, although we are religious, we want to teach him that at a separate time so he can learn what we want him to learn. I also like the pre-packaged curriculum because it takes the thinking out of it for me. Yeah I still need to think, but it tells me what to expect everyday. This is handy if I have him do schoolwork on vacation or whatever, I don't have to carry a ton with me.

School work for us takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours (generally speaking) to do school work with him. Things he isn't quite ready for (writing is a big one for us) we work on slightly modified so that he gets it, but because he isn't developmentally there yet, I form the letters and he traces them.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hello and welcome. I have slightly older boys (11.5 and 7) and have been homeschooling pretty much since the beginning. I am lucky that dh was always on board. His mother is a private school teacher but over the course of his childhood he was in public school, private school and home schooled for 2 years (he shattered both the bones in his leg where they meet at the ankle). He liked home schooling best so when I told him this is what I would prefer he agreed. Both of our boys have special needs which can make things interesting in our home. Over the years as they have grown I have changed the way we approach school work (we try to do what works and when something doesn't work we change it). Right now we are using a modified Charlotte Mason curriculum for both of the boys and it is working very well. It is my hope to enroll my oldest in community college classes when he is 15.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We don't do anything for preschool, I just wanted to give you a welcome. With my oldest (turns seven next month) we are in My Father's World first grade, but we're currently taking a break from it. We plan to continue with the MFW program, we really love it!
Thanks for the welcome I'm excited to meet other homeschooling mamas here
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
My son is 4.5 years old and he is a bit over half way through Calvert Kindergarden. He has already done Calvert Pre-K last year. Right now we are doing a 6 day a week school. I wouldn't recommend that long term, but we are slightly behind and on a time crunch with me going to have another child this summer.

It is working well for us and we will continue this next year as well (1st grade). My hope is to start that in September sometime. We have done more or less year round schooling since we started in January 2012. We did have some large breaks in there with me dealing with first trimester stuff.

We are doing secular schooling rather then religious education because, although we are religious, we want to teach him that at a separate time so he can learn what we want him to learn. I also like the pre-packaged curriculum because it takes the thinking out of it for me. Yeah I still need to think, but it tells me what to expect everyday. This is handy if I have him do schoolwork on vacation or whatever, I don't have to carry a ton with me.

School work for us takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours (generally speaking) to do school work with him. Things he isn't quite ready for (writing is a big one for us) we work on slightly modified so that he gets it, but because he isn't developmentally there yet, I form the letters and he traces them.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to look into that
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Hello and welcome. I have slightly older boys (11.5 and 7) and have been homeschooling pretty much since the beginning. I am lucky that dh was always on board. His mother is a private school teacher but over the course of his childhood he was in public school, private school and home schooled for 2 years (he shattered both the bones in his leg where they meet at the ankle). He liked home schooling best so when I told him this is what I would prefer he agreed. Both of our boys have special needs which can make things interesting in our home. Over the years as they have grown I have changed the way we approach school work (we try to do what works and when something doesn't work we change it). Right now we are using a modified Charlotte Mason curriculum for both of the boys and it is working very well. It is my hope to enroll my oldest in community college classes when he is 15.
That's one of the things I love about homeschooling! You can make modifications to meet the specific needs of your kids
Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
cbreeding
Registered Users

Welcome! My DH is slightly apprehensive too not about the social issue but more about higher math and science. We agreed to take it one year at a time. My oldest is doing K/1st grade work so we've just begun this journey and those higher math and science courses are far off. After just one year, DH's fears seem to have been relieved at least through the elementary years and he is now glad that we homeschool. He still doesn't want to do any of the actual "schooling" which makes me laugh because he teaches the kids about so many things. Makes me laugh on the inside.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeding View Post
Welcome! My DH is slightly apprehensive too not about the social issue but more about higher math and science. We agreed to take it one year at a time. My oldest is doing K/1st grade work so we've just begun this journey and those higher math and science courses are far off. After just one year, DH's fears seem to have been relieved at least through the elementary years and he is now glad that we homeschool. He still doesn't want to do any of the actual "schooling" which makes me laugh because he teaches the kids about so many things. Makes me laugh on the inside.
Yeah, I agree the higher math and science is a bit intimidating. I did the entire Saxon Math program when my mom was homeschooling me and I absolutely loved it. Got to college and earned an A on Calculus; never was intimidated by math as a result of that great curriculum Science is kinda tough with the labs and all. Don't know how our kids are going to be but I personally didn't want to be forced to dissect a worm so I loved that homeschooling got me out of that dilemma