Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
MommyLJ
Registered Users

Location: I travel around for work, mostly in Mexico and the US.
My Mood:
Poop on covers

Hi everyone,
We use primarily flats and covers, both pad fold and origami fold. LO is 15months, and it seems like for the past month or two has been getting poop on the covers so often! It’s getting really annoying, needing to use almost as many covers as for a newborn. I don’t know if it’s because she’s walking and moving around a lot, or if there’s proportionally less diaper between her legs now that’s she’s bigger or what. Even sometimes when the poops are pretty “ploppable” some still often rubs onto the gussets. Also she poops several times a day. 😬 Anyone else have this problem or any advice? Is this just a stage or due to diet?

I want to try wool covers but I’m afraid to use them more than just at night because of this. 😕

Thanks!

Advertisement

MommyLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Poop on covers

I'd say it's pretty normal to get poop on covers when using padfold/trifold/insert in a cover. Even if it isn't visually on the cover can smell a little too anyway. I think toddlers use less covers than a newborn because older kids poop less. If your LO poops alot then it's likely you will use more covers. If you can anticipate a poop you could try attaching or sitting on a potty.

I did get into wool but with fitteds. I wasn't good enough attaching a flat/prefold for my liking with wool. I did try inserts with loveybum wool wraps though my LO was pooping on the potty that this point (she started sitting about 12m). -- btw I never got the "wool AI2 system" too work, she once peed straight out of the cover somehow sitting at a bank. Loveybums (i think) do have an AI2 snap in system but I learned about it after LO day PLed. So there may be some exceptions but most wool needs attached diapers or fitteds. And you have to be good at attaching to make that work if longies/shorties. A "bad" attached diaper would probably work fine with a wool wrap.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-08-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it is worse with PUL covers, especially padfolded but even attached the diapers just seem to sag more than with a cloth-like cover (fleece or wool). I have done prefolds and wool and it was okay but I was washing some wool item about every day and that got old. You could try fitteds, or make some of these and padfold your flats into them to use under wool. That's what we're using right now but with prefolds. Works great! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
or make some of these and padfold your flats into them to use under wool. That's what we're using right now but with prefolds. Works great! Good luck!
This concept worked best for me too, since I needed it to stay thin for washing purposes.

Yes, walking around is likely loosening your fold even when fastened. I found I needed to change folds as baby goes through different stages.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
MommyLJ
Registered Users

Location: I travel around for work, mostly in Mexico and the US.
My Mood:

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas! So the last couple days I switched to the kite fold, and it seems to be working much better to hold poo in. Also, I have a few homemade stretchy flats, which for some reason I never tried folding on, and they are so much easier to get a tight fit! (Why didn’t I try this sooner!) I haven’t had any poop on the covers in a couple days now (yay), so maybe wool won’t be so bad after all.

I’ve never heard of a thin pocket fitted- sounds like a great idea I might have to try if I start having problems again, since I like to sew.

I ordered 3 wool soakers with a gift card I won on Black Friday, so we’ll see how this goes!
MommyLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Somehow I completely missed that you use the origami fold too!!! I've never used a stretchy flat but I have heard those are good for a tight fit.

Good luck with the wool!!!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote