Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
kimbralmn
Registered Users
seller

switching to cloth, baby cries everytime when wet

Hi out there. I am trying the switch from disposables to cloth, so forgive me if I sound naive. Up until now (6 weeks old) my newborn has been wearing disposables. I bought some sample diapers to try out cloth and decide which brands/styles I wanted to buy.

Anyway, he has been crying whenever he is wet now with cloth. I had thought that pocket diapers (at least) were supposed to have a layer that absorbed the wetness so the wetness didn't just sit on his skin.

Am I wrong about this? Is it normal for babies to cry every time they have a wet diaper? I bought fuzzibunz pocket, happy heiny's pocket, freetime all-in-one, flip hybrid and gdiapers hybrid (with cloth insert) to try. I switch to disposables and wetness no longer bothers him. Is it something he just has to "get used to"?

Any responses would help me out. Thanks!

Advertisement

kimbralmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: switching to cloth, baby cries everytime when wet

I don't use these but my understanding is a fleece liner will give a "staydry" feeling much like disposables. Maybe just lay in a fleece liner and see if that helps. And, yeah, my guy crys when he gets a wet dipe so I just change him more frequently. I am hoping this will be good when he is older and help get him potty trained sooner
Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most cloth diapering mamas change for every pee, so that's probably what you need to do if you're going to stick with it.

My ds cried every time he wet a disposable as a newborn, so switching to cloth didnt' change that for us.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, my kiddo has always cried when wet too. I agree with fleece liners giving a stay-dry feeling. Dont buy the expensive fleece liners sold at diaper stores. Just buy some microfleece (note that it HAS to be microfleece, other fleeces don't work well) from your local fabric store and cut it into small pieces to fit your diapers.

Also, welcome to CD'ing!
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
annagirl900
Registered Users

My Mood:

We switched to cloth when my daughter was 4 weeks old--and at the beginning, she cried every time she wet too. But after about a week, she got used to it

Old vs. BumGenius Elemental Comparison
annagirl900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

You are right- most pockets have a stay dry material that gives a dry feeling. The fuzzibunz and happy hineys you have do. I can't remember what other brands you mentioned and on my phone I can't go back and look. For the ones thay don't (cotton/hemp/bamboo against babys skin) the fleece liners would help. Still, my son's butt is never as dry in cloth as he is in disposables.

I know a lot of mamas on here change every pee. I don't know any mamas in real life that do though. My guess is that baby would get used to it.

---------------------------------
Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010)!

Last edited by RunawayBunny; 01-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Just buy some microfleece (note that it HAS to be microfleece, other fleeces don't work well) from your local fabric store and cut it into small pieces to fit your diapers.
Really? I just used regular fleece that wasn't too thick. It works great.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
kimbralmn
Registered Users
seller

Thanks this is helpful. I will try the microfleece out if he keeps it up.
kimbralmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah, I just change every time he wets. He hates a wet disposable more than the cloth!
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

With cloth diapers, you will need to change more often than with disposables. I change as soon as the diaper is wet. My little guy is older now & on the move. I make a point to check him every 1 1/2 to 2 hours if he's playing. When my mom used to watch him sometimes, I said for her to change him every 2 hours unless she smelled something before 2 hours were up

Though when we had the BG 4.0 pockets, there were quite a few times when I had a hard time telling if he was wet or not. They seemed to be more stay dry.

stephanie, mom to 3 big girls (1/94, 8/99 & 9/02) & 1 little guy (12/30/09)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote