Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Sandra3xMom
Registered Users

Question GBS Swab?

Who is considered a "natural mom" on here? do you get the group b strep test? If you don't get it do you run into other problems with your health care provider? I am totally against getting this swab and wondering if one can "swab themself" and just hand in a unswabbed swab? DONT HISS AT ME! for those who do get this test? I am just curious as I am totally against the overuse and unnecessary use of antibiotics (I am also allergic to penicillin).

Thanks and no hating please!

Advertisement

Sandra3xMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

I'd say it depends on where you deliver. At the hospital I'm going to, you can refuse the test and/or the antibiotics but then they require 48 hours of monitoring the baby before they'll release him. I'm getting the swab done, and hoping its negative... If it's positive, I'm not sure if I'll refuse the meds or not yet.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS Swab?

I have declined it before, but have done it the last couple times. I feel like it's useful information to have even (especially?) if you decline the antibiotics. I wish my doc would just let me swab myself since I'd prefer to disrobe in the office as infrequently as possible, but please don't lie to your provider. It could be very important to the health of baby that they have accurate information. I think the 48 hours of monitoring is standard of care most places and I don't feel like that's a bad trade off if you don't want to do the test and/or antibiotics.
Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
PatsFan
Registered Users
seller

Great info here! http://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

we do it even though we are at no risk what-so-ever. we've weighted the options and just decided to do it. some hospitals may require you do one if you want a water birth. we were told we could still have a water birth even if we were positive for GBS.
Laura Josephine (3)
and William Thomas
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
atlienxa4
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last edited by atlienxa4; 12-17-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Didn't realize old post
atlienxa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Old thread or not I am curious. What is a GBS swab?
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

And just because I am terribly curious I am also wondering why you (general you) would sign up for an account start a thread with a question leave and never come back to check on answers? I wouldn't be dying to know what people said so would check on that at the very least.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Old thread or not I am curious. What is a GBS swab?
They're referring to the perineal swab done around 36 weeks to test for Group B Strep. I don't know if they bother doing the swab if you have a scheduled c-section since the baby isn't going down the birth canal.

While I hate antibiotics as much as the next person, I wouldn't mess around with GBS. Typically it causes no problems, but babies can (and have) died from GBS infections. That's not an acceptable risk for me.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
They're referring to the perineal swab done around 36 weeks to test for Group B Strep. I don't know if they bother doing the swab if you have a scheduled c-section since the baby isn't going down the birth canal.

While I hate antibiotics as much as the next person, I wouldn't mess around with GBS. Typically it causes no problems, but babies can (and have) died from GBS infections. That's not an acceptable risk for me.
Interesting. I have no clue if I had that test done or not. My youngest was a planned c-section. I know the only test I refused was the glucose test.