Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

the article is a gross misrepresentation of the research article. it really seems like they are just trying to cause an uproar. I wonder if they even actually read the original article. it only states that bfing right after an ORAL vaccine is given is probably the reason for decreased effectiveness. makes logical sense to me. it in no way recommends not bfing and/or using formula.

fwiw, I do not vax, and think the research article is stupid. but misrepresenting something you write about just to cause a stir is also stupid

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: 'Stop Breastfeeding- it's killing the vaccines!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
It's sort of ironic that this was done with the rotavirus vaccine, which is most important for formula fed babies especially in underdeveloped countries where the water may be contaminated. Delaying breastfeeding as an idea to help against rotavirus by strengthening the vaccine's power (where the rotavirus vaccine doesn't eliminate the possibility of contracting the disease but theoretically lowers the strength of it were one to catch it) in essence is contradicting the benefit by giving a child formula made with questionable water which thereby makes him more likely to contract the virus...
I would read at the very least the abstract posted in the original post and then the posts right before and after yours for a much better explanation of what this research article is about. The researchers are NOT suggesting using formula.

These researchers are not suggesting formula. They are suggesting that breastmilk that is high in IgA doesn't mix well with the oral rotovirus vaccine. The researchers suggest that perhaps not breastfeeding in the immediate timeframe of the vaccine would be helpful.

The reason that the only vaccine referenced is the rotovirus vaccine is that almost all other vaccines are not ORAL. They would not mix wtih breastmilk in the digestive tract. These researchers simply say that it would be wise to investigate whether the vaccine and breastmilk should not be in the digestive tract at the same time.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am impressed at how not nursing an hour or so before or after a vaccine turns into completely weaning a baby and switching to formula.

I am afraid to mention I am late starting dinner. Someone might interpret it to mean that I just quit feeding my kids altogether.

ETA: This idea is really no different than the recommendation that people take calcium 2 hours before taking iron so the iron will be properly absorbed.

Last edited by mcpforever; 01-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl View Post
how sad and what even worse is moms will listen and think formula is safer. What about ALL the recalls on formula?
No, what's sad is that people and groups are taking this one line
Quote:
Strategies to overcome this negative effect, such as delaying breast-feeding at the time of immunization, should be evaluated
and using it to run all over the internet telling people that the big bad US governmental agency call the CDC is against BFing. And that mom's will listen and use that as more evidence of their distrust of the US healthcare professionals.

(please note, I am not saying that's what the OP is doing, I believe that's what the website is doing with their article and it's talk of depriving babies and such.)
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupica9564 View Post
For those of you who did not take the time to read the original source of this post's claim; the STUDY (not a CDC position) indicated that women in INDIA who were breastfeeding had a diminished response to the ORAL rotavirus vaccine because the breastmilk inactivated some of it. There was no effect on any other immunizations. The conclusion of the STUDY was that feeding with breastmilk should be DELAYED around the time the oral rotavirus vaccine was given (a matter of hours). This is NOT a concern for newborns because rotavirus vaccine is not given (1st dose) until 3-6 mos. of age. PLEASE don't blindly believe every uneducated person's ignorant statements regarding vaccination. To read the CDC's ACTUAL position on breastfeeding (FULL SUPPORT/RECOMMENDED FEEDING MODALITY) just visit the CDC website and type "breastfeeding" in the search box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
No, what's sad is that people and groups are taking this one line
and using it to run all over the internet telling people that the big bad US governmental agency call the CDC is against BFing. And that mom's will listen and use that as more evidence of their distrust of the US healthcare professionals.

(please note, I am not saying that's what the OP is doing, I believe that's what the website is doing with their article and it's talk of depriving babies and such.)
I agree with a lot of posts in this thread, but I especially agree with these 2. The people who publish natural news should be ashamed of themselves. They are not doing the alternative medicine and anti-vaccination perspectives any favors.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
imnottelling
Registered Users

Was any timeframe offered as a reasonable amount of time to delay breastfeeding? I was not jumping to conclusions that breastfeeding would be stopped, but rather even 1 feeding (2 months old many times do need to eat within 2 hours) of formula can be dangerous in certain locales. Delaying breastfeeding to me means skipping a feeding, unless a timeframe was suggested of half an hour or what not, which I didn't see. [I did read the abstract.]

Boss over 1 Husband, 2 Boys, 3 Girls
imnottelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Was any timeframe offered as a reasonable amount of time to delay breastfeeding? I was not jumping to conclusions that breastfeeding would be stopped, but rather even 1 feeding (2 months old many times do need to eat within 2 hours) of formula can be dangerous in certain locales. Delaying breastfeeding to me means skipping a feeding, unless a timeframe was suggested of half an hour or what not, which I didn't see. [I did read the abstract.]
No timeframe that I saw. I also didn't see that it was advocating formula in any way at all. Or that it was even actually ADVOCATING skipping a feeding...it simply says "should be evaluated" which to me says they don't even know, it's just something that should be looked at. That's all. It's like telling a high school student "maybe you should think about getting a job." It certainly doesn't mean quit high school and go work in a factory full time. But that type of extreme jump seems to be what the Natural news folks are doing.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
There is absolutely no mention of formula in the study. None! Not one mention of it. The entire suggestion of using formula rather than breastmilk comes from the naturalnews site and speculation on threads like this. Naturalnews appears to be intentionally twisting the study to create anger and fear in people. This study isn't about convincing people to stop breastfeeding. It is about trying to discover why this single vaccine seems to be less effective in some parts of the world.

When I delay my kids' lunch, it doesn't mean that they skip lunch. It simply means that they have to wait a period of time. If you had your 2 month old in a car and had to reach a destination on time, would delaying breastfeeding that child for a short time to reach your destination necessitate formula or mean that you were no longer going to breastfeed? Naturalnews could put out a similar headline - Mom Advocates Stopping Breastfeeding Because it is Inconvenient When Travelling.

There is no timeframe suggested because the article simply expresses that delaying breastfeeding (apparently so that the breastmilk and vaccine are not interacting - much like was suggested with iron and calcium) is one area that should be looked into further. Should be researched further - not that it is something that needs to be done right now. Not that they are sure that that's the problem. Simply that there appears to be a connection and for the sake of these children more investigation should be done to figure out how to best protect them. Not one word about formula or quitting breastfeeding.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #29
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

z2akids - I started quoting then realized I was mostly quoting all your posts.
Right on mama! I agree.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #30
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Natural News article is most certainly a gross misrepresentation of the CDC paper. The CDC paper in no way mentions that you should stop breastfeeding or that you should give formula to your baby. One of the references about the short delay of breastfeeding around the time of immunization mentions that the vaccine may have decreased efficacy if the infant had breast milk in its mouth or stomach when the vaccine was administered, then the vaccine could have diminished efficacy. I will say, though, that their statement on the "delay of breastfeeding" could certainly have been more specific to help prevent this sort of uproar (if you read the reference, I think the most reasonable interpretation is to wait until the milk has passed through the stomach before giving the vaccine). This reference

And even with the diminished efficacy, the rotavirus vaccine has induces an immune response in about 40-60% of the infants in these countries where the vaccine is endemic (ie. where breastfeeding mothers are likely to have a higher anti-rotavirus IgA titer in their breastmilk).

Just because there is anti-rotavirus IgA in the breastmilk does not mean that breastfeeding will have a very high effectiveness in preventing rotavirus infection in the baby. It does not mean that the breastmilk will be more protective than the vaccine, nor does it mean it renders the vaccine completely ineffective in that baby.

Over HALF A MILLION children die of rotavirus diarhhea every year, and the majority are in places like India (over 100,000 child deaths/year) and Africa. While I am also a huge supporter of breastfeeding, I think there is every need to look for more ways (including vaccination) to help prevent these deaths.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months

Last edited by littleleaf; 01-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote