Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #21
matersalad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was born with severe strabismus and amblyopia (with a mild astigmatism) and had 5 surgeries between the ages of 6 months and 13 years. Thankfully my right eye was corrected in one surgery, but my left eye will never be normal. It wanders, and my vision in that eye isn't all that great (but I don't need glasses, I think my right eye over compensates for it). I was also born at 33 weeks so I think that may be why. my husband has very, very mild lazy eye in one eye but his vision is unaffected, so I have been keeping an eye on DS eyes. His ped hasn't noticed a problem and neither have I. It's a relief, my biggest fear was that he would have messed up eyes like me and need a bunch of surgery or to wear an eye patch and get teased, etc.

Though with out history, I will still take him by the time he is 2, whether I notice a problem or not, just to be safe.

Advertisement

matersalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
shandimay4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to get your kids eye exams?

There is a program called infantSEE that many optometrists are a part of across the country. They will actually do a free eye exam for kiddos under the age of 1. If you have any concerns about your baby's eyesight and insurance isn't covering it you could look into that as an option.
shandimay4 is offline   Reply With Quote