Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
MommyYoga
Registered Users

Problem with eBay - seller asking for refund

I sold an item on eBay about a week ago. It was a $15 item and the shipping charges were $12. The girl who purchased from me paid and asked me to ship it immediately so that she could use the item on a trip the following Monday. The girl received the item last week. Today, is a week later. The girl now tells me that she wants a full refund because the item is defective. It is a clothing item and she says there is a hole. I will be honest and did not check every single seam so I could have missed the hole.

I offered the girl to keep the item and said I would refund her the $15 she paid to me for the item. She is says it's defective and unwearable so she wants her full $15 + $12 shipping back and she wants me to pay to ship the item back to myself.

Since my original seller post did not offer refunds, I have read eBay's policy that she can only ask for a refund if the item is defective. And it looks like I have an option to "accept the return", "give a full refund" or "offer a partial refund".

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

What happens if I only offer a partial refund? Can she dispute it? Will I get negative feedback for doing this?

What's the difference between accepting a return vs giving a full refund?

If I need to create a label to ship the item back to me, can I do this through eBay? Can I ship the item back to myself using first class so I don't pay $12 for it. (The $12 shipping was originally because she wanted the item immediately for her trip so I sent it priority mail.)

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

MommyYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
So she wanted it for the trip today? Or last Monday?

I'd be skeptical that she wore it for her trip and doesn't need it anymore.

If you buy something from a store and return it you don't get your shipping back.

When you have issues and go through PayPal the buyer is responsible for shipping the item back (paying for it)
BabyBoyBlueBoutique

Last edited by stevensmom; 10-28-2016 at 05:01 PM.
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
lemonella
Registered Users
seller

Re: Problem with eBay - seller asking for refund

She got the item last week in time for her trip. It's definitely possible that she used it and put a hole in it so she could return it. I don't really know, unfortunately.

If she asked for a refund through eBay and I "accept the refund", does that mean her shipping cost to me is a sunk cost or do I need to refund her that too?
lemonella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
MommyYoga
Registered Users

I apologize, I accidentally used my sisters account for the last post.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

She waited a week to tell you it was defective? It seems she used it and wants her money back. I don't think shipping is refunded or paid for when you send a return. That's the responsibility of the buyer.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I would NOT refund it at all. She bought a used $15 item and you were kind enough to spend $12 to ship it fast so she could have it?

Sorry. No way am I refunding that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
MommyYoga
Registered Users

But if I don't offer a refund, will she open up a case and give me negative feedback?

If I offer a refund, is there an obligation for me to pay the shipping? She's telling me to pay for the item to be shipped back to myself. I have read numerous things and some say it's buyers responsibility while others say it's the seller's.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyYoga View Post
But if I don't offer a refund, will she open up a case and give me negative feedback?

If I offer a refund, is there an obligation for me to pay the shipping? She's telling me to pay for the item to be shipped back to myself. I have read numerous things and some say it's buyers responsibility while others say it's the seller's.

Will one negative feedback overshadow your other positive feedback? It wouldn't for me.

No business offers free return shipping and a refund. Except Stride Rite and Amazon. Ha.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
MommyYoga
Registered Users

Well, I only have 12 ppl who have given me feedback even though I have sold numerous things over this past year. So 1 might be bad...

But even so, I guess what are my options if I do accept a return? I've read that seller's pay shipping and some with buyer's paying. Some say I have to refund money first and then the buyer has to agree to cancel the transaction or else I don't get my funds released and the fees reimbursed to me.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Please do NOT follow the advice on the thread telling you to stand your ground.

Ebay will not side with the seller in a he-said she-said dispute. Unless it's very evident that the buyer simply has remorse and is using the money back guarantee fraudulently to avoid paying return shipping- and sometimes not even then- they will side with the buyer when the case is escalated and not only will you have to eat the return shipping and refund in full, but you will get a big black mark on your record for having a "case closed without seller resolution". These are fatal - only a few and you get kicked off from selling permanently.

There are ways to try and fight a questionable SNAD dispute but it requires persistence and delicate handling of the buyer. For most members new to selling, I advise they simply accept the return, or refund without requiring a return. And in future, have clear photos of all sides and details so there is no question of whether there was a hole or not. If there WAS an undisclosed hole, you ought to refund whether or not your listing said "no returns".

If you have further questions, feel free to post them on the thread below. I can answer them in detail there.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1598046
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote