Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question about Ebay **another question post 12**

I'm hoping some of you ladies can help me out with this. I just sold a Macbook Air on Ebay and it arrived to the buyer today. In the listing I stated no returns and said the computer was in "great condition, no scratches, and in complete working condition". The only reason we were selling it is because my DH and his boss had bought them and then the newer Macbooks came out so they got those instead so no need for these, they weren't very old. I was selling two, one which was bought in March of this year and the other I stated was bought in Nov of 2011. Which I AM almost positive that's when it was bought (or my DH is, I really don't know).

Now the problem. Buyer wrote us before auction ended asking if we could give original receipt, we said no (we don't have it) or if we could give him the serial # so he could check to see if he could get AppleCare on it. My DH responded saying he wasn't by the computer at the time but when he got home he would send it. Oh and the guy did ask if you could buy AppleCare for it, my DH said that AppleCare can be purchased anytime in the original warranty period. So the guy then writes again asking about the battery cycle count, my DH was home by then and responded to that question but completely forgot about sending him the serial #. The guy did end up buying the computer without ever asking again. So now he gets it today and says that he looked it up by serial number and doesn't appear to still be under warranty, called Apple and they apparently confirmed this...which would mean it would have to be a little older than Nov 2011. My DH has contacted the business rep his company works with through Apple to hopefully get a copy of the receipt as he really thought it was Nov it was purchased. No word on that yet though.

The buyer wants to return the computer now though. So now I'm wondering if we really have to accept the return. The computer is exactly as described except maybe it really was a couple months older than we thought. The thing is in near perfect condition, 100% working and exactly as described...aside from possibly not being bought Nov 2011. If we did tell the buyer that we don't accept returns, as stated in the listing and they leave negative what's going to happen then? As of now PayPal is holding the money since it was such a large amount and it won't be released until the buyer leaves positive. Do we just have to take the computer back and hope it sells again? I hate to do that only because they got a GREAT deal, it really should have sold for more and we covered quite a bit of the shipping so it sucks to lose money on the whole thing

Advertisement

Last edited by mommyof3co; 08-31-2012 at 10:05 PM.
mommyof3co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about Ebay

I think you might have to accept the return based on "item not as described," mama. I agree it sucks to lose money on the deal when you tried to be honest, but dates do matter for warranties (and also for model recalls, for product components, etc.). I always ask sellers about dates on baby items, for example, to confirm safety and because different manufacturers switched to BPA-free plastics on different dates. Best wishes!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I figured that's probably what was going to happen. Really hoping when the rep gets back to us he can find the receipt and my DH was right..but he very well may have been mistaken. I wish he hadn't put a date on there if he wasn't 100% but he said he really was..oh well.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think once you give timetables, you really mess yourself up if you can't be POSITIVE about them. People take you at your word. So just be really careful on that, obviously he is no scammer. He intended to put the care on it, in the first place. I would totally accept the return. Imo
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

From what I know only return if not as described (diff item or u say no cratches & there are tons). Paypal will listen & b fair if claim filed. Buyer pays 2 return 2 u. On a date purchased issue I don't know. B pfdpared for either from paypal. It stinks I know but they have to give good tracking as proof. If u want to talk more pm me. I have experience with one similar. Did u state purchased when in listin? Can u post exact wording?it would help. If u get back u know more on actual ship cost... if neg on ebay on certain terms u can get removed.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

If u said definitely in nov 2011 then I think to b a good seller but if u said I think bought in x then mayb no if rest is good.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok one more question. The buyer shipped it back today and is now complaining about having to pay the $26 in shipping back (they only paid $10 in shipping originally..we covered the rest, it cost us the same to ship to them). They are saying I should have to pay it back. As far as I'm aware the buyer is responsible for that, correct?

I tried working with them and they wanted NOTHING to do with it, opened a case and escalated despite anything I attempted to fix it. My husband was in contact with the rep at the Apple store, he is with a business and they do a ton of business with them and they often will make exceptions and go above and beyond to help him out. So he was trying to talk to them and see if they would allow him to add the extended warranty the buyer wanted, they refused to even give us a day to figure it all out. I'm honestly starting to think it was more buyers' remorse, if it was really just about the warranty why not give us a little time to figure it all out? Anyway, I just want it done and over with now. I already told them I'd refund as soon as it's received but now they want return shipping as well. Am I actually responsible for it? I'm looking on Ebay but so far haven't found the answer
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Question about Ebay *added new question*

sounds frustrating mama! you are correct the buyer is responsible for return shipping
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
PayPal rules are buyer pays return shipping. They can try for eBay to reimburse them for shipping, but PayPal won't require it from you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about Ebay *added new question*

Just an FYI, unless you produce a receipt showing otherwise, the "sell date" (for warranty purposes) is the manufactured date. For example, We bought an XBOX brand new from Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving one year, it broke Nov of the following year. When I finally got around to calling X box for repairs, in Nov, they told me it was "out of warranty" and I said it hasn't even been a year since I purchased it. Since it was produced in October, October was the date that mattered with out proof of purchase. Once I found my receipt (Thank you best buy rewards!). XBOX honored the warranty. So you may have actually purchased in March, and with a receipt, would probably still be in warranty, but if it was produced in Nov (very likely considering likely produced for holiday season), that is the date that matters.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote