Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am using an OB instead of a midwife for my prenatal care/delivery, and she is G

We LOVE our OB too and I am pretty crunchy... When people know we CD,babywear,co-slp,AP,BF and CLW, no circ ,select/delay/vax and then they find out I had wonderful births with OB, I'm glad because not all OBs are bad.
I feel at my most comfortable with my OB and the hospital. We have had absolutely amazing beautiful births. (Both DD and DS were born in less than 6 hours from start to finish easy~easy births thats my body~very mellow) I loved my births every second of them...
Funny, my friends all but 1 use midwives and they tell me I have such easy great births that I could birth unassisted. Well I have thought about having a home birth but I still would want my OB there I have not had good experiences with the midwives except the midwife/nurse at my OBs office she is wonderful and that is MY experience. Not all MW are great~Not all OBs are bad and vice versa. My OB is AMAZING! We even had great nurses, as our OB has a great team

Advertisement

cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am using an OB instead of a midwife for my prenatal care/delivery, and she is G

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama View Post
There are just as great OBs out there as there are midwifes!
Yes there are! This was my point of this thread. So many times we hear horror stories with OB's and intervention that is not necessary. I guess I just felt the need to give the great OB's a shout out!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
amjbmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had the same OB for all my pregnancies.... she ROCKS!!! She was so great and understanding when I went through a mc at 12 wks back in '02.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
momto3girls
Registered Users
Formerly: tajsa
seller

My Mood:

I have an ob too. She's wonderful!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Because I have high risk history- I cant see "just a midwife"..
I see nothing wrong with OB's as long as they put the patient first.. Many do not do that anymore- so thats probably where the love for midwives come in..

Im actually in a very unique practice.. My doctor is a family general practice MD. Not OB.. But they (2 doctors) went back to school to get degree's to practice OB & delivery and midwifery (very unique & different I know- I love it). They are super crunchy & very open to many things.. I love how well they listen & spend one on one time with me. They give me the best of both worlds.. They are handling my high risk pregnancy from all aspects- natural & medical (since I require extra monitoring & injections).. Their approach is definately midwifery- they just also have the added benefit of being an MD- which in my case I need. They will be delivering me naturally & in water (if I so choose) and are doing all the very natural things I feel are important. Its been so healing & soothing to be with them!

I love this practice so much- esp their views on holistic medicine- which they practice alot of.. They are very supportive of no vaxing & anything else anyone throws their way. I cant rave enough!

So I am right there with ya- I have a midwife so to speak- but they are doctors too just like your OB..

I say its just awesome when you can find a place where you belong & with doctors/staff you can connect with & find support.
Yay for being with a great doctor & being happy!
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014

Last edited by *Willow*; 09-03-2008 at 12:55 PM.
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Knutsonfam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also really like my OB. (not her office, but the two are completely separate) She is due the day after I am, so we have gone through our pregnancies together. I love that she didn't immediately suggest a c/section when I was in labor with my 2nd and had been pushing for over 2 hours with no progress. The midwife who works with the OB said I'd have to have forceps or a c/s. That was why she called the OB. The OB came in accessed the situation, decided he had his head crinked to the right, pushed on him (hard), and said she'd be back in 20 min. to check on us. By the time she came back, ds was born and settling in at the breast. She always asks if I want a test done or not and I have had no "routine" pelvic exams. She probably won't deliver this baby, since she has been having lots of contractions lately and doesn't feel like she could do deliveries the closer she gets, but knowing that she is around and is keeping on eye on things, makes me happy.
Knutsonfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Jessy&Noah
Registered Users
seller

I was right there with you Kim. If it weren't for my OB and our perinatologist, we wouldn't have Noah OR Brady and Brady wouldn't be as healthy as he is. She was always the voice of reason with everything we've gone through and she was the one who was always talking the perinatologist down when he wanted to intervene a little too much. (Although we are super thankful for him too, he was great - but always sending me to the hospital!)

She suggested we go for an induction rather than a c/s with Brady despite the statistics and while my family thought I was taking a huge risk, I trusted in her and everything went sooo beautifully.

You just have to be with someone you trust.

Jessy&Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
ohhdear
Registered Users

I loved, loved, loved my Dr. He took me on at 32 weeks. I'm a CPA and because of tax season it was very hard to get to his office which was 30+ mins from work. I had a natural hospital birth. My son's heart rate kept decelerating every time I had a contraction and my Dr. was at another hospital watching our monitor. He was concerned but my son would always come back strong so he just watched and waited.

He told me to do whatever I felt like doing. I remember the Dr., nurse and my doula hanging out while I was standing and pushing my son out.

I had a 99% natural birth - my water broke and I had to be induced. My choice - My Dr was leaving town and really wanted him to deliver since my water had broken 18 hours earlier.

I moved so I will miss my Dr. if we have another little one.

Melanie
Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
twolittlebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also love my OB. Since I'm high risk with twins, I need an OB, and she's just wonderful. Her practice also has 5 midwives in it and I love all of them.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

My OB is awesome too!!!! I feel like I can tell her anything and be completely honest with her about my wishes and she is very supportive of them. She supports my bfing and cloth diapering, as well. I love her, she is great!! My sis works with her at the hospital that I deliver at and everyone at the hospital loves her as well. She is just a great person all around.

I am also high risk, but she is so great about telling me about all of my options and letting me decide. She has supported me in all of my decisions, even ones that I have refused. OB's can be just as great as Midwives.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote