Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Names and family

Dh and I are having a really hard time finding a name for baby girl #2, or as we call her, deuce. I've found a couple names I really like but the problem is my mil. Normally I'd tell her to "get over it" in a nice way of course but I can see where she's coming from. The names I like have start with a K or a hard C and the problem is my SIL is Carrie, my other SIL is Kim, and my nieces are Kara, Kallie, and Kayla and my name is Tara and she can never get the name of the person she is actually talking about/to right. I have to decide whether the name I like is really worth listing to her compalin (which she already does to me) for the next 20 years.

Advertisement

Last edited by tmrobinson; 09-03-2008 at 02:19 PM.
tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Names and family

Use whatever name you want; don't worry about what other people think! And, I highly recommend waiting until the baby is born to announce the name. We have kept ALL of our children's names a secret until after birth, then we announce it. That keeps negative comments away, IME. When they are looking at an actual baby, they are much less likely to say something mean about the name!
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Starlite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say use the name you want. It's not an emotional issue, no one has tragedy connected to that name. It's just easier for mil. Oh well. Besides, it sounds like it's kind of family tradition to have names that confuse her. Your baby will fit right in!
Starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
laceysmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is why DH and I didn't announce LM's name until she was born, and we won't announce the belly babies names until they are born too.
My MIL said everything we liked sounded horrible. So we just didn't tell her when we finally picked, and she has never said anything positive or negative about our child's name.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my father in law is very hard of hearing and refuses to get a hearing aid---anyways, every name in the family gets him mixed up. especially the animals/pets names. he comes up with some STRANGE variations. for example. my ds is named brandon and he calls him "brandy". my dd is hanna and he calls her "hander". and he calls my BIL's dog "Timmy"--which i very funny considering the dog is a huge rotweiler named Neme--short for nemesis!! so now we are trying to figure out how he will screw up new dd's name which is going to be madison or madi for short!!

good luck to you mama and use what you want. you're the one who has to say her name more right!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

pick your name and don't tell anyone naming a baby is hard enough without worrying about other peoples' opinions
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
brandislee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers View Post
Use whatever name you want; don't worry about what other people think! And, I highly recommend waiting until the baby is born to announce the name. We have kept ALL of our children's names a secret until after birth, then we announce it. That keeps negative comments away, IME. When they are looking at an actual baby, they are much less likely to say something mean about the name!
Seriously! We do the same thing. I don't tell anyone except MY mom and sisters, because their opinions honestly do matter to me, and mostly because I can be alittle short sited and I rely on them for perspective. But I also know that, other than pointing out something that I may not have thought of (like it doesn't sound good with last name, etc) they aren't going to be judgy about it. Plus, if they don't like a name I love, I don't feel bad saying "yea, well, get over it"- if this baby was a girl it was going to be Layla, which my mom hated, but I still love it so much I wouldn't change it to make her happy!

But I NEVER tell my IL's- I think it bothers my SIL the most. She swears I "stole" her name (she's not even married yet) with my first DD.
brandislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #8
Ruth
Registered Users

My Mood:

My MIL got upset that we're naming the new baby Jack Jr (JJ)! Funniest thing is that dh was named after both grandparents so part of the name is her dad's.

My paternal grandmother is 81, has 16 grandkids, 20 great grandkids, and 5 great-great grandkids. She usually ends up calling the new generation by the older generations name, we've all gotten used to it and can usually figure out who she's talking about. Bad thing is my little sister passed away last year, my niece is 7 yrs old and the exact replica of her. Grandma keeps slipping up and calling her by her mother's name. My grandpa gave up and just called all the girls Amy and all the boys Cotton (lots of pale blonde babes)!

I say name the baby whatever you want. Is your dh's family very close? My dad's family is all in the same area so we try not to repeat names or use very similiar ones because it would be too confusing, but my mom's side is spread out all over. I just found out my cousin named her boys the exact same names as mine. We haven't seen each other in 12 yrs and I'm not close to that side of the family so its not an issue, just a funny coincidence.